It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a question answered NOW!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I just downloaded Seti@home and about 2 hours in my chart started goping haywire... It was jumping around so quick I couldn't see what was going on. Is this normal? Also... all my colored Bars are really high... almost to the top of the chart... what about this? Is it normal?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
My charts are back down to normal. But I need to know if those things were normal or not so I can look out for more of those things. N/m it's back up again...

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Sorry I'm not qualified to answer, but still have to say your description made me think of the movie CONTACT.

Wouldn't that be a hoot? I wonder if there are people in the program that can't sleep at night wondering what their PC is up to?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Sorry, I can't read the article right now... gotta sleep. Got school in the morning. Thanx for the site though!!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I ust like the pics, lol

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Post up a screen shot Helmet, and then we can tell you what it is. If we can't then you have to send it to SETI!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I just downloaded Seti@home and about 2 hours in my chart started goping haywire... Is it normal?

Hi DH!!

Without seeing the sort of display you saw, it is impossible to say whether it is "normal" or not - the thing to do is to occasionally look at the display and compare what you saw then with what you see "now" so as to get a "feel" of how SETI@home analyses data. One thing *not* to "worry" about is whether you "miss" something - SETI@home functions automatically, so *if* the signal *was* significant ie contained a radio burst from ET, then it would be "reported" as anomalous when the WU was returned to SETI@home. That is what the program does, of course - it works without our intervention and the need to "stare at the screen" or listen, as Jodie Foster did, in "Contact" !! I don't think any of us expect to "hear" broadcasts from ET - rather a complex mix of radio emissions which, by the sheer quantity, make a "place in space" appear to be very "bright" in the radio spectrum.

So, let your computer run SETI@home and watch the VDU occasionally so you have an of what is "normal" - and what just *might* be an elusive - but sought after - signal from ET!!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
How do I go about copying a picture of the data when it goes berserk?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Now that I have a finished WU, How do I upload it?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It is completely normal for your SETI@Home to spike and do all sorts of strange looking things. To upload a WU, you need to tell your SAH to connect to the server. This is either done automatically, or it will prompt you and ask if you want to connect to the server.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
How do I go about copying a picture of the data when it goes berserk?

Hi DH!!

If you're using Windows OS, have the SETI@home window "open" ie click on "Maximise" from the icon in your sys tray and then press ctrl-print screen, the key next to F12 and Scroll lock. That will take a "snapshot" of your desktop. Then, put this into - say - your word processor by ctrl-v (Paste" and you should see the image you've captured. Save the file to your hard drive.

Go to "Store/ Upload/ U2U" on ATS on the menu above and upload the file to ATS. Then link to that from your post. You *might* want to practice this procedure so you're ready when you *really* need it!!

There are "special" freeware software programs which will "capture" windows such as SETI@home, so you might like to use Google to find freeware to do the job as well. Good luck DH!

new topics

top topics

join