It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scandalmongers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
IMO the underlying reason why we aren't currently living happily ever after in the USA (and really never have, or since well before the Bushwhacker Empire) is because the (mainstream or corporate) media is ruled by small-minded scandalmongers. That is, there are at least many thousands if not millions of people CAPABLE of running this country, but are self-disqualified due to their less-than-perfect pasts (or presents). I believe even if someone is addicted to a reasonably mild drug like pot or alcohol, as long as they can demonstrate extraordinary functionality on the job, they should have equal opportunity at leadership. And it's the persnickety fusspot mentality (which is really only a mask for their jealous nothingness) that plays very strongly in all conspiracies/secret government, as I see it.

Here's something I wrote Christmas, '02 (slightly edited) about the Lewinsky nonsense:

To be sure, Clinton would have received a lot of flack for handling the issue the way I would've. He would've been called monstrously arrogant by the media, his political enemies and probably many or even most of his "allies." But I guarantee after some initial huffing and puffing, the whole thing would have blown over and he would have avoided the (toothless anyway) impeachment process. Instead of the infamous finger waving speech (lie) he made, here is basically what he should have said:

"This matter can be summed up in one word. Actually, it's not a real word, but the word is NUNYA. Nunya bidness. What happens in my private life is something strictly among myself, my wife and daughter and my Maker and NO ONE else. There is absolutely no relation between my job performance and my personal life. I don't use drugs or drink to excess and I stay in good mental, emotional and spiritual condition. End of story. Questions? Comments?"

Anyhoot, peace out.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by Lightworth]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sure. It's the cult-of-celebrity, isn't it?

It can be used for good or ill -- or as a diversion, etc.

Ridiculous really. The guy with the whitest teeth or most down-homey terminology, or greatest head of hair, or a father who was a such-and-such.

The public is a shallow animal. Doesn't take much substance to make it love or loathe.

Like feeding the lions.

Politicians have to be entertainers now.

People are more swayed by the cut of a candidate's suit quite often, than by his policies.

It's all showbiz.

But when the going gets tougher -- and then even more tough -- people might begin actually making considered decisions with regard to those in whose hands rest their own and their grandchildren's futures.

Until then, it's just a movie as far as most are concerned.

new topics

join