It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline price in USA - few questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Could someone please tell me average price of gasoline in USA? I've read many people fear that price of gallon could rise to 5 US$ or higher. In my country (Croatia), fuel seems to be way more expensive then in the USA (and we're poor country compared to US; average monthly salary is somewhere between 600-800 US$). 1 litre of gasoline costs 1,10€/1,50US$. That means 1 gallon of gasoline costs 5,60 US$ over here! Yet, we somehow manage to cope with it. So, why would people of US fear prices of 5$/gallon? Would it really have significant impact for people of US?

ps. Please don't misunderstand me - I really
HATE
those high prices. Hell, even more then the US folks, considering my monthly income. I most sincerely hope (probably in vain
) that fuel prices will drop in near future, not only in my country, but in the whole world.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
In most of the US you have to have a car its not an option. Mass transit exists mainly in the cities but not in the rural areas. Most Americans commute to work sometimes as far as 100 miles one way hour long commutes are fairly common here.

Last Saturday I filled up my tank at 3.49 a gallon I have a 28 gallon tank
cost was $97 usd. Luckily for me I can drive about 3 weeks on that, most folks have longer cummutes.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
that and most people in america drive everywhere and since we have a supply and demand economy since you dont have to advertise to sell gas they can keep the price fairly low but it will go up and when it does we will be one angry country

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thanks for your rapid response! 100 miles one way? Now, 200 miles per day - that's helluva ride for a day! Now I understand why you look with unease at those prices. Higher prices could really hurt your family budgets.

My monthly fuel consumption is about 25% smaller then yours DarkStormCrow. Yet, I have to pay roughly the same price as you do (for less fuel). And if you're curious, in my country you would have to pay 156$ for 28 gallons.

Now, since gas prices probably won't go down for a while, let's hope that they don't go up, either! All the best to you, DSC!

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I might be wrong but I think that gas in Europe is taxed at a higher rate than in the States at least it seemed that way when I was there.

Best thing the States could do to bring gas prices down outside of reducing consumption that is is to go to one grade of gasoline. One type is esier to manufacture than 20 or so and to put a ceiling on how much staes could tax gasoline.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You are right about the taxes. I was actually pretty stupid to drop them out of the calculations! I will check it, and report back.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I do not want to belittle Croatia, but based on this thread it sounds like Croatia has better public transportation systems than the U.S.. We in the U.S. should be ashamed of ourselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Croatia
56,542 km² (126th)
21,831 sq mi

Texas
261,797 sq mi
(678,051 km²)

source: Wikipedia

Everything is just so spread out around here. That's the main issue. The Dallas-Fort Worth area has a larger population than all of Croatia and isn't much smaller. Driving to see my parents is a 4 and a haf hour drive....at 70 mph. They live right here in Texas just like I do. That should shed some light on the gas price problem.

Then when you factor in that a lot of the goods we purchase in local stores have been trucked for a thousand miles or more. Increasing the price of gasoline makes everything cost more. Truck drives have to pay more to fill up their tanks and then we pay more to buy the goods.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
My friend just stopped by today and dropped off 10 gallons of used fryer oil. It should convert to about 9 gallons of biodiesel in my appleseed processor. Cost? Zero. Well... a little lye and of course time...

My 81' diesel toyota truck gets 38 mpg running on de-glycerined french fry grease. I consume under 100 gallons annually.

I hear the locals are paying about 3 bucks a gallon for big brother's gas. I just smile and nod.

In the US...

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Frontlines : Fuel of War
A first person shooter in a post peak oil world
www.youtube.com...

top topics

join