It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LOCAAS - A Brilliant Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control is developing the Low Cost Autonomous Attack System (LOCAAS) smart submunition for the U.S. Air Force and Army. LOCAAS development is focused on two variations: the unpowered LOCAAS and the powered LOCAAS.

LOCAAS employs a LADAR seeker to build a 3-D image of the target. The image is compared in a data base of targets to provide a COMBAT ID. Once the target is confirmed hostile, LOCAAS begins the attack.Both versions of LOCAAS carry a multimode, explosively formed penetrator warhead. The warhead can be detonated as a long rod penetrator, an aerostable slug, or as fragments, based on the hardness of the target. Target aimpoint and warhead mode are automatically determined by the Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control-developed Laser Radar (LADAR) seeker.

Either vehicle can be dispensed from the Air Force SUU-64 tactical munition dispenser, an internal weapons bay carriage, a munition ejector rack, or external pylons. Each can be dispensed also from a Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) rocket or an Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) missile.

LOCAAS video
Navy LOCAAS video
Navy LOCAAS video 1

Link 1
Link 2

This is the Naval version

posted on Nov, 28 2002 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Can it identify caves and apartments?

Convensional warfare is history.

posted on Nov, 28 2002 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It can track down individual people. Not in built up areas though. However you have to remember that it will work in conjuction with the next generation sensor systems.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hear is some more locaas links.

defenseupdate.com

nationaldefensemagazine.org

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
my god ,i can't see nothing,
who can tell me something more about locaas
thank u

new topics

top topics