It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thompson moving toward likely GOP bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Thompson moving toward likely GOP bid

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Republican Fred Thompson, a former Tennessee senator and "Law & Order" actor, is methodically moving ahead with a likely presidential bid, several officials with knowledge of the plans said Wednesday.

An all-but-declared candidate for months, Thompson will establish an official organization in the coming days to weigh a White House bid while launching a major fundraising drive next week. The 64-year-old Southerner would bring an overwhelmingly conservative record
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yet another throws himself intot he already crowded GOP ring. I wonder how serious this is or he is positioning himself for some free press to futher bouy up his flagging political career etc? Either way it is unlikely he will garner much interest against a more moderate candate IMHO.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Either way it is unlikely he will garner much interest against a more moderate candate IMHO.

I completely disagree. I think he has a huge amount of potential. Most Repubicans aren't happy with any of the current candidates. I think if he plays his cards right, he could really sweep the field.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by FredT
Either way it is unlikely he will garner much interest against a more moderate candate IMHO.

I completely disagree. I think he has a huge amount of potential. Most Repubicans aren't happy with any of the current candidates. I think if he plays his cards right, he could really sweep the field.

Perhaps, but to WIN the presidency, they cannot go back to the conservative base. that path is done IMHO. It has to be a moderate.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I hate to break it to the giddy Repubs out there, but Fred Thompson is no Ronald Reagan.

That is their great hope.

Once people start getting to know Fred T. better, they won't be so full of gush for him.

For one thing, he is all about supporting Dumbya on the war. That, to me, is a serious liability. If he doesn't grasp that going into this, he's dumb. And will lose.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well I'm not convinced that Fred will run he seem to be more interested in drawing attention to himself more then anything else. If Kerry proved anything he proved that winning the nomination by gaining the support of your gore voters is far differnt from winning an presidential election.

new topics

top topics

join