It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Dot-Com boom, round 2: Google

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Google, Inc. hired Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs Group Inc., today to arrange the initial public offering that has long since been rumored. Many say the modern Internet era really began in earnest on April 11, 1994, with the birth of Netscape Communications. Like electricity, vacuum tubers, the transistor, the integrated circuit and microprocessor before it, Netscape's first Web browser was a technological watershed, a crystallizing event that changed the course of nation's economy and, ultimately, the world. Just months later, in August of 1995, the Netscape IPO set the standard and tone for the boom economy that followed.

Today, not quite ten years later, Google, Inc. is poised to set the tone for the nation's slowly recovering economy. The Google, Inc. IPO is rumored to the biggest since CIT Group's $4.87 billion deal in July of 2002. With a $5 billion war chest of spending money, Google will be poised to dominate the next three years of Internet growth and computing. Bloomberg.com And here we have it, round 2. I had a chance to meet some of the early Google people back in 1997 at the big Internet World Expo here in NYC. Back then, they were just geeky programmers trying to make a cool search engine. Well, no wonder that with how the Internet has evolved since then, search has become an important tool for everyone. And one interesting point to leave you with... isn't "search" really the core of what a computer operating system does? I wonder what Microsoft thinks of all this?

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ok, all of you HAVE to wait until AFTER I have bought my shares, then go crazy, deal?

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
search has become an important tool for everyone. And one interesting point to leave you with... isn't "search" really the core of what a computer operating system does? I wonder what Microsoft thinks of all this?

HEHE

I SEARCH....THEREFORE I GOOGLE

Good article comparing Google and Microsoft

www.pcmag.com...

"One colleague suggested that Google is becoming the new Microsoft, referring to the way the search giant now dominates its market. (Actually, there have been rumors floating around about Microsoft acquiring Google)"

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would not be suprised if Longhorn has a scaleable search engine built in when released, that allows for distributed computing access of search data, thereby eliminating the need of a 'remote' search engine.

Levy asks Gates how, since Microsoft Research has done a lot of work in search technology, did he let Google become synonymous with search? "Because we mistakenly didn't apply a lot of our advanced ideas to do a Web-scale search engine," Gates says. "We were relying on an outside supplier for part of our search. That's our mistake. There's lots of need for improvement and I think you'll see us innovate. We didn't make it as much of a priority as we should have, and a year ago we recognized that and we're on the job."

Source Link

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by smirkley]

new topics

top topics

join