It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galaxy M81, Amazing New Picture.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
GALAXY REVEALED IN HIGH-RES

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

One interesting thing though....

hubblesite.org...

Zoom in to the lower right hand corner of the picture. What the heck is that? I can't post the pic here... not sure how... it's different than others.

Very interesting - black hole, star, galaxy...?

[edit: fixed bbcode for link]

[edit on 30-5-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
More info on the Galaxy...

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

The Hubble Space Telescope has sent back the best view yet of a picture-perfect galaxy known as M81 or Bode's Galaxy, resolving single points of starlight as well as star clusters and glowing regions of fluorescent gas.

"The amazing detail in this image took our breath away," Andreas Zezas, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said in a news release unveiling the image. "We can see individual stars like tiny grains of sand."

But Hubble's image, presented Monday at the American Astronomical Society's spring meeting in Honolulu, is in a class of its own. It took the equivalent of two and a half days of observing time - parceled out over two years - for Hubble's Advanced Camera for Surveys to collect the visible-light and infrared data that went into this picture.

[edit: added source link]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Zoom in to the lower right hand corner of the picture. What the heck is that? I can't post the pic here... not sure how... it's different than others.

Very interesting - black hole, star, galaxy...?

Yes thats interesting.
Anyone see what he is looking at?

I would say a galaxy going down the drain.

Mmmm

OK I know what it is.
Its two galaxies one on edge one facing us.

[edit on 30-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I have a black hole video evidence here.
a star whipping around the super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy

www.eso.org...

[edit on 30-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
here is a wonderful picture from ESO of The Spiral Galaxy NGC 5584 The Purple Rose of Virgo

Purple Haze is in my brain, baby things just don't seem the same
I feel funny but I don't know why
excuse me while I kiss the sky

www.eso.org...

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

It took me a while to find it, for some reason every time I zoomed in the image would go bananas!

but anyways, I would have to concur, it does look like a galaxy is getting sucked in by a super massive black hole. If it is a galaxies it appears to be very, very far away from M81.

There is also a possibility that it could be a supernova type star getting sucked in.... black holes aren't visible but thats a heck of a lot of light going into one.

Just my 2 cents
-Clandestino-

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I downloaded the 75mb JPEG, opened it with Photoshop and this is what I get when I zoomed into the speck on lower right corner of the image.

What could this be?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
thanks... yeah thats what we're looking at... so far I think the best choice is a galaxy being drawn into a blackhole.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
M81 is actually in a group of galaxies. M82 is visible in the same picture of M81 at the same magnification, they're so close. I would say it's an edge on picture of another galaxy in the cluster.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Also, found these -

there were several smaller ones too.. i'll upload them if anybody wants to take a look.. thanks

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I agree with Junglelord. I think that image in the lower right corner is two glaxies, one edge on to us.

On a seperate point, do these images affect you guys as much as they do me? Personally, I can stare at them for what seems an age, totally lost in their achingly surreal beauty. There are few things that move me emotionaly and spiritualy, (I'm not hard head, just frustratingly rational) but the results of the Hubble telescope continualy manage to stop me dead in my tracks. I stood in a local bookstore, some time ago, and flicked through a monstrous coffee table hardback of Hubble's photos. Darn nearly started to cry. Couldn't help it, they just absolutely and completely blew me away.

Maybe it's a childhood spent pouring over sci fi novels (and a large portion of adulthood, too) that allowed me to be so overwhelmed, or perhaps it's something simpler. I make no effort to hide the fact that I am of the opinion that somewhere out there there are civilisations completely different to ours. Seeing Hubble's photo's, running a finger across those countless number of stars dusting our universe, imagining that maybe just a fraction have planets and that a fraction of them might just be able to support life, I get a real good gut feeling that my opinion is right.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beamish
On a seperate point, do these images affect you guys as much as they do me? Personally, I can stare at them for what seems an age, totally lost in their achingly surreal beauty. There are few things that move me emotionaly and spiritualy, (I'm not hard head, just frustratingly rational) but the results of the Hubble telescope continualy manage to stop me dead in my tracks.

Absolutely.... I want to go out there and see space and whats out there so badly, I can't stand it. I wish I could live for another 100-200 years and spend that time out there looking at the stars, planets, moon, galaxies, etc. Oh yeah and meeting all the other "beings" too

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The thing in the lower right is two galaxies.

Except one isn't facing us...it's like someone standing with their side facing you.

It looks like it's spitting out the bottom of the other one, but it's not, we're just seeing it's side.

Heck, they may even be on a collision course toward each other, but we'll all be dead 100,000 million times over before that major even occurs.

[edit] Er, nevermind, someone else posted the same thing before I did. Bummer.

[edit on 30-5-2007 by The Big O]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Nice images. I check out this site daily. Nasa releases a different picture every day. Saw that pic on there also.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xarprax
I downloaded the 75mb JPEG, opened it with Photoshop and this is what I get when I zoomed into the speck on lower right corner of the image.

What could this be?

if I'm not mistaken, that's two galaxies colliding at right angles. The "streamer" is actually a second galaxy, and you're seeing it edge onwards.

(heh! That's three of us who identified it. I came a bit late to the party.)

[edit on 30-5-2007 by Byrd]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
God the thought of that scares me, what would be happening to any planets with life on them? What if they were in the same stage of evolution as us and had the same level of space exploration? Would the two dimensional realities be blending? Talk about a shift... It would be worth it to set up a satellite to watch for any incoming or out going craft. (As you can tell I believe in life out there,lol)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow.... just... wow.

Thanks for posting these, they are absolutely amazing. I wonder what the chances of are of someone there looking at the Milky Way, right back at us?

I'm gonna give you a WATS, and I agree with you about going out there. If I had to give up my life, just to experience it I would in an instant. Its just beautiful.... until you actually get there and all the X-Rays, debris, black holes, asteroids and whatever else get you.
But before you die you'd experience something truly magical.

Thank you again.

edit: No WATS... I forgot it had changed. Instead I give you five stars - 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000001% of the number out there!

[edit on 30/5/07 by JackofBlades]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
God the thought of that scares me, what would be happening to any planets with life on them? What if they were in the same stage of evolution as us and had the same level of space exploration? Would the two dimensional realities be blending? Talk about a shift... It would be worth it to set up a satellite to watch for any incoming or out going craft. (As you can tell I believe in life out there,lol)

It's possible that the inhabitants of planets in those galaxies could suffer no impact at all, other than some really spectacular night skies. Compared to a galaxy (at least in the 'arms'), a puff of cigar smoke is denser than a lead brick. The odds of a physical impact are tiny. There is the possibility of orbital preturbations for some planets, though it's probably not going to be terribly common.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
if I'm not mistaken, that's two galaxies colliding at right angles. The "streamer" is actually a second galaxy, and you're seeing it edge onwards.

(heh! That's three of us who identified it. I came a bit late to the party.)

[edit on 30-5-2007 by Byrd]

I don't think they are colliding, I think the vertical one is in front of the other. Although they are still pretty close (relatively speaking of course)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer

It's possible that the inhabitants of planets in those galaxies could suffer no impact at all, other than some really spectacular night skies. Compared to a galaxy (at least in the 'arms'), a puff of cigar smoke is denser than a lead brick. The odds of a physical impact are tiny. There is the possibility of orbital preturbations for some planets, though it's probably not going to be terribly common.

Now that would be a some view, wouldn't mind sitting outside having a beer and just watching the sky all night. Must be a bit nervy for anyone living there, seeing a giant galaxy coming straight at you. Most likely theve known no different in there life time, these events take so long to pan out.

This is one of my favourite pictures of two galaxy's coming together, Antennae :

New stars will be born there and in the course of the next million year they will make the Antennae galaxies twice as bright in the infrared.

Higher Res Pic Here

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join