It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you make a winding generator?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hey,

I want to make my own winding generator, you know the kind which provides power by you winding a handle? like those torches that don't need batteries you just wind the handle with your hand. I'm really just after the basic component that converts the winding to electrical power.

Does anyone know how to make one? or know where i can find more information or an instructional video/guide?

Thanks.

[edit on 30-5-2007 by Eonnn]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Why not just buy one of the torches you mentioned? Better still, just google it - first try produced this.

External Source

If you are looking to 'get your hands dirty' so to speak, I think other forums would be far more receptive to your request - one of the best:-

External Source

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks Omelette.

I have one of those torches and might take it apart to have a look.
I also found this one from miniscience which lets you build it yourself:
shop.miniscience.com...

I was wondering if this device is the same thing as an alternator? like whats in a car?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yep, both use the same principle - both basically AC generators that use a few extra components that rectify and smooth the AC to produce a DC voltage. If you were planning to use an alternator you would probably have to 'gear-up' the RPMs in order to generate a usable hand-cranked power supply. All pretty old-school for an ATS forum - aim a little higher and look into ZPE sources...

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
How much power are you looking to get out of this thing? If its very much then it will probably require some machining skills. I would think it will be more cost effective to buy a winding flashlight or radio and take the generator out.

All pretty old-school for an ATS forum - aim a little higher and look into ZPE sources...

I was going to say the same thing !!

[edit on 2-6-2007 by Heckman]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
A bicycle generator might work if you can gear it up to spin rapidly with a normal hand crank.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Crazy question, but I often have wondered why one could not hook up those little turbines everyone has on their roofs to make electricity? They turn just about all of the time anyway, I currently have two on my roof and I would be happy to add more if it would make me some cheap electricity cheap. Since electric bills are so high and everyone saying we need to use less energy to save the planet it makes sense for everyone to find an alternative if possible to coal fueled electricity. It's questions like these that make me wish I had not slept so much in school. LOL

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've never heard of anyone trying to power a generator with a home turbine. It's probably doable. Most who erected huge windmills years ago no longer use
them. You'd think that here in Oklahoma, where the wind blows much of the time, ( we are #2. Chicago, " the windy city" is #7) more use would be made of wind power.

Just like solar, finding a reasonable and efficient way to store the energy generated is a problem. That is the biggest stumbling block I see.

new topics

top topics

join