It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandy Berger Investigation Stopped Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sandy Berger, facing an investigation by the District of Columbia Bar Association into his admitted stealing and destruction of documents from the National Archives, stopped the investigation by voluntarily relinquishing his license to practice law.

Former Clinton National Security Advisory Sandy Berger gave up his law license and likely will never practice law again. Facing the prospect of an embarrassing cross-examination by the District of Columbia Board on Bar Counsel related to his theft of classified documents from the National Archives, Berger forfeited his law license on May 17. The Washington Times broke the story.

Obviously, Berger attempted to hide and destroy embarrassing and incriminating information related to the Clinton administration’s (and his) failure to adequately address the threat of terrorism. He was caught red-handed by an informal “sting” operation staged by National Archives staff members, lied, and then came clean.

The salacious details of Berger’s astonishing theft of classified documents were a fairly well-kept secret, until the Committee on Government Oversight and Reform released a scathing 61-page report earlier this year. Members of the 9/11 Commission were horrified to find that the Justice Department never told them the full truth about Berger’s crime. We will never know the truth about what documents Berger may have taken because he had access to originals that had not yet been catalogued by Archives staff.

www.nationalledger.com...

What's even more interesting about this is that while the article says that the 9/11 Commission was "horrified" to learn after the fact of Berger's crimes, the writer apparently didn't think it was news worthy to mention that 9/11 Commission co-Chair Lee Hamilton was hired as a consultant by Berger's consulting company.

This marks the official end of the investigation into Berger's crimes, what documents he destroyed, and most importantly, why he risked his career on this scheme. Like the Able Danger investigation, the case is now closed and buried in the back pages of the news.

But hey, like Bush said, we must never let conspiracy theorists distract us from the truth, right?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Oh man, he can't be a lawyer no mo. How will he ever make ends meet? Losing those papers is sure a costly sacrifice for Mr. Berger, on top of his $50,000 dollar fine, his community service, and momentarily lost security clearance.

So what's the status on what was lost? Berger says he only scissored up a couple duplicates of files they already had, right? What are the suspicions of what it really was? Just some criticism? Or something more?

[edit on 29-5-2007 by Caustic Logic]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
And herein lies one of the biggest frustrations for me - the apparent ability of these people to act with impunity.

As the OP says, the fact that Hamilton is in bed with Berger is simply a disgrace. And this sort of political escapology is commonplace. I'm just finishing off a piece about the recently revealed 'secret' presidential order to mount covert ops aimed at destabilising Iran. It has the feel of both Operation Ajax and Operation Cyclone about it. As I explored the history, two themes were really hammered home:

• politics is very much a family business; and

• there is little or no accountability

By way of example...

It turns out that there was a Schwarzkopf involved in the 1953 coup against Iran, and another, of course, involved in Operation Desert Storm. The Under Secretary of State who authorised the CIA to plan for the overthrow of then-Iranian Prime Minister Mossadeq, was John Foster Dulles. The head of the CIA at the time was his younger brother, Allen Dulles. The top CIA official in Tehran during the coup was yet another in a seemingly endless line of Roosevelts.

As for accountability, one glaring example is that of Elliot Abrams. He pleaded guilty in 1991 to two misdemeanour charges of withholding information about the Iran-Contra Affair from Congress. He was then pardoned by G H W Bush in 1992, spent a few years whipping the neocons into a frenzy about the need to oust Saddam, then returns in G W's first term to help implement said policy. It is he who is largely responsible for orchestrating the latest intrigue against the Iranians.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caustic Logic

So what's the status on what was lost? Berger says he only scissored up a couple duplicates of files they already had, right? What are the suspicions of what it really was? Just some criticism? Or something more?

The official story is that the documents were an after-action report concerning the foiled Millenium bomb plot. Supposedly the document was written by Richard Clarke and was very critical of Clinton's lack of effectiveness in dealing with al Qaeda.

Further, the rumor is that the document went on to describe how al Qaeda had formed sleeper cells in the U.S. who could carry out plots like... well... 9/11.

The problem is nobody will ever know what Berger destroyed, and that the Justice Dept. supposedly prevented the 9/11 Commission from learning about Berger's crime so that Berger couldn't even be questioned about it.

PS I guess since this thread isn't about holograms, micro nukes, or Rosie O'Donnell people aren't really interested. Too bad, because this story drills directly to the center of any likely 9/11 conspiracies.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So Berger gets to walk, takes the hit but the truth again is muzzled by the golden parashute. The big picture gets bigger, is there really any difference between Democrats and Republicans? Both have slacked at security and taken some of our freedoms after the fact! And here they go again letting crimes against the people go unpunished, "business as usual" for the families at the top of the food chain.

[edit on 5/29/2007 by infinityoreilly]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinityoreilly
The big picture gets bigger, is there really any difference between Democrats and Republicans?

None that I can see.

Both are trying their hardest to get the immigration bill passed so that big business in Texas, California, Arizona, and New Mexico can continue to have cheap labor. Both parties made sure the 9/11 Commission didn't reveal the skeletons in the closets, and both parties made sure the Able Danger investigation never saw the light of day. Both parties voted for the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act, and both parties continue to fund the war, even though the Dems SAY they want to stop it.

And it was the Bush Justice Dept. that cut the sweetheart deal with Berger. Why?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
its bump and flag time..

Nothing really comes as a surprise anymore.
There is no left and right anymore,
they're all goin in the same direction.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nick7261
Too bad, because this story drills directly to the center of any likely 9/11 conspiracies.

Exactly and makes me wonder what your agenda is here. It's ok to blow the lid off of Democrats when it comes to 9/11 but your other posts show that you stauntly support the GOP. What is YOUR agenda here?

BTW, 9/11 was BOTH parties, not just one or the other. If people think there is a difference...think about this. many people in the government are left over from Clinton. Meaning they are democratic political apointees but are working for the republicans. It will happen again when the dems take office. If you people think there's a difference between the two, you are fooling yourselves. I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but it has to be done.

Edit: Sorry NIck for jumping the gun. Now that I read your last post, I retract my statements about your agenda. Peace?

Edit again: If I could only spell.....sang to the tune of "If I only had a brain".

[edit on 5/30/2007 by Griff]

[edit on 5/30/2007 by Griff]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Both parties voted for the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act, and both parties continue to fund the war, even though the Dems SAY they want to stop it.

And it was the Bush Justice Dept. that cut the sweetheart deal with Berger. Why?

Yes quite interesting that the Dems and a few Repubs say "end the war" but don't have the balls to actually vote to do just that! Just more "I want to be reelcted speak" and not enough action where real peoples lives are at stake! Why let Berger walk, sans his lawyer papers? He helped avoid future questioning about what our leaders new before the crime of the new century.

I say a prayer tonight for everyone who has lost a loved one on 911, everyone who has lost a loved one in the subsequent foreign policies in Afganistan and Iraq, and everyone who knows someone deployed in the "war on terror". My thoughts are with you in your time of uncertainty as my family is in the same boat awaiting my brother in laws return from Bagdad.

Remember our fallen and welcome the survivers as they return.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   

PS I guess since this thread isn't about holograms, micro nukes, or Rosie O'Donnell people aren't really interested. Too bad, because this story drills directly to the center of any likely 9/11 conspiracies.

It could, it could. Problem is unless we know what happened, we can't really say what's connected to what. Things like this could be engineered, limited hangout, semi-damning distractions. Or real seams of the real cover-up, or whatever else. But whatever they are they warrand examination and analysis, and linking-in with the ther evidence. But it's a little more tedious, a lot less fun, than the wilder theories. That's why we need members like you.

On 2nd thot you're mpre than likely right this was a cover-up. Whether it was anything that threatened the master script or just Clinton ambition I dunno. But watch Berger get that high appointment in '09 if...

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

On 2nd thot you're mpre than likely right this was a cover-up. Whether it was anything that threatened the master script or just Clinton ambition I dunno. But watch Berger get that high appointment in '09 if...

What bothers me most about the Berger story is that the Justice Department -Bush's Justice Deptartment, is the agency that let Berger walk away from this. Not only did he walk away from the crime, but the Justice Dept. made sure that the 9/11 Commission wasn't informed of Berger's crime prior to his testimony.

God only knows what documents he really destroyed. If they were related to the Millenium plot, they could have detailed the failed Yemen plan to bomb the USS Sullivan, which later came to fruition when the Cole was bombed. Or the documents could have talked about al-Zarqawi, who was convicted for the Jordan plot and sentenced in abstentia. Of course later al-Zarqawi became the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.

At the least, it's probably safe to say that Berger was covering up something that would have made Clinton look bad -like failing to act on the Yemen intelligence, or failing to nab al-Zarqawi, or even bin Laden, when he had an opportunity.

Or worse, people like al-Zarqawi may be former (or current) CIA or FBI assets that duped the U.S. intelligence community into trusting them all the while they were plotting 9/11.

Worst case scenario is that Clinton knew about Atta et al. and the 9/11 plot in advance and made sure these "assets" weren't touched by the FBI. This might explain why the Able Danger information was destroyed, as well as why Jamie Gorelick wrote the famous "wall" memo. I don't think it's a coincidence that Gorelick also was appointed one of the 9/11 Commissioners.

I just think if more people would spend time digging into these connections instead of things like the micro-nukes and holograms the big picture would start to come into focus.

Of course if Hillary gets the nomination, 99% of the Dems are going to look like the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkeys when it comes to linking Clinton to negligence or foreknowledge of 9/11. And 99% of the Repubs will call anybody who questions 9/11 a wacko.

Looks like the NWO club played this hand perfectly.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

If they were related to the Millenium plot, they could have detailed the failed Yemen plan to bomb the USS Sullivan, which later came to fruition when the Cole was bombed. Or the documents could have talked about al-Zarqawi, who was convicted for the Jordan plot and sentenced in abstentia. Of course later al-Zarqawi became the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.

who knows. I'm sure we'll get some sort of squaller from a book he writes about the whole scandal, but little will be the actual truth. I'd say the documents were an early list of sleeper cells in the U.S. and an early warning from agencies about a plot like 9-11 that went ignored by his administration. Documents that were incriminating by failure to act on provided information.

top topics

join