It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aggression against military memorials

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Aggression against military memorials

www.washingtontimes.com

On Mount Soledad, overlooking San Diego, crosses of one kind or another have stood since 1913. The current edition, erected in 1954, was designed as a memorial to Korean War veterans. For more than 75 years, no one complained, and the cross became a treasured landmark to most of the San Diego community.

Then, in 1989, one atheist decided the cross on the hill offended him, and the ACLU hurried to his aid, waving the so-called "separation of church and state" doctrine...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

apc

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am not a Christian. I don't like most Christians. I find most of them arrogant and about as far from humble as you can get.

But I do think traditions are important. And the preservation of history.

The ACLU, as communistic as they are, have done good things in days past. But today their only purpose is the intentional dismantling of America.

Support the American Legion.

www.washingtontimes.com

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

I am not a Christian. I don't like most Christians. I find most of them arrogant and about as far from humble as you can get.

But I do think traditions are important. And the preservation of history.

The ACLU, as communistic as they are, have done good things in days past. But today their only purpose is the intentional dismantling of America.

Support the American Legion.

www.washingtontimes.com

Thanks for posting this, apc. I agree 100% with you on supportng the American Legion, and I would add the Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled American Veterans, as well. As a veteran and a proud American, I too believe in preserving traditions and history. It seems all the ACLU is interested in preserving is ignorance and disrespect.

Also, I am a Christian but I know you would like me cuz I'm not arrogant at all.
: Very humble

apc

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Haha I'm sure. I guess I should clarify my opening with that remark.

I am not defending Christianity nor Christian values.

I am defending the right for this nation and her citizens to honor the dead in the most appropriate manner deemed fit. As the majority of this nation considers themselves to be of the Christian faith, that manner is often a cross in the ground.

Christianity played an integral role in the founding of our nation. To remove the elements of the faith that exist today would be to gut out the very soul that keeps this nation strong.

But that is the whole purpose. To bring us down. To "equal" the playing field.

The obvious conclusion of this logic is that the ACLU is an enemy to America.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
intersting, an athiest is offended and the ACLU says seperate church from state....well athiests offend me, so i guess I should have the right to seperate idiots from this country!

[edit on 29/5/07 by shadow_soldier1975]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Sooner or later, the ACLU is going to go up against a group that has more clout than they do and the veterans' organizations just may be the ones to put them in their place.

For nearly a hundred years, the combined veterans' groups have been a formidable force in politics regarding veterans' rights, but if this case gets traction, veterans could fund a case against the ACLU that could leave their heads spinning.

In most cases, the ACLU intimidates their foes into submission because they have the bucks to bankrupt most jurisdictions before anything can get to court.

This situation could be quite different.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
All war dead, regardless of country of origin, should be honoured and remembered for the sacrifice they have made for their respective countries.

I think that it is taboo to desecrate memorials, or graves and burial places of any people.

I also think the guy who was offended by the memorial has issues and is an immoral person. How dare he mess with tradition.

As us Aussies say....Lest We Forget

res

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'll be more than happy to send the Veterans organizations some money, if they want to go up against the ACLU. It's time the ACLU got its collective head handed to them.

All war dead, regardless of country, deserve respect. They bled and died for their countries, the least we can do is respect the sacrifice.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Now, I won't get into whether or not I believe everything that is said here but the person who wrote this does make a good point.

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001?

Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan, across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania? Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?...Well, I don't. I don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia.

I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured: I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts: I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and -you guessed it –I don't care ! ! ! ! !

If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button. Should you choose the latter, then please don't complain when more atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here in our great country! And may I add:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

I have another quote that I would like to add AND.......I hope you forward all this.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Also by.. Ronald Reagan

One last thought for the day:

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America, he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM. AMEN!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
I don't care ! ! ! ! !

And that is a problem. We are but men, certain of our moral high ground over our opponents. But then, you have to think - are we really better? And what makes us so? Without even judging the validity of the war or terrorist attacks, are we really so arrogant and self-righteous that we will submit to the urge to commit atrocities against our enemies and turn a blind eye? If we really are pretentious enough to "not care", then maybe we don't deserve to win.
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for moral ambiguity. Let us fight our foes, and let us win, but always with honor - even when it is denied to us.

[edit on 14-6-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You must be a MORON !!!! .. RE-READ the post above ... as I am trying to ignore ignorance of not reading the ABOVE POST ... If someone kills your mother ... I bet you would turn to them and give them a free shot at your sister next ???? Great American you are ... I bet your family was a huge part of creating this country we live in ... Spineless ... nothing ....

That is talking not only about you .. but your family as they are the reason you are like you are ....

Originally posted by Johnmike

I don't care ! ! ! ! !

And that is a problem. We are but men, certain of our moral high ground over our opponents. But then, you have to think - are we really better? And what makes us so? Without even judging the validity of the war or terrorist attacks, are we really so arrogant and self-righteous that we will submit to the urge to commit atrocities against our enemies and turn a blind eye? If we really are pretentious enough to "not care", then maybe we don't deserve to win.
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for moral ambiguity. Let us fight our foes, and let us win, but always with honor - even when it is denied to us.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Deus Brandon. There was little or no call for that little rant. You disagree? Fine. Keep it civil, or don't bother. In case you hadn't noticed, the powers that be are getting a little upset with the rudeness and incivility that seems to have erupted recently.

Like my mom used to say, "If you got nothin' good to say, keep your trap shut..."

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You must be a MORON !!!! .. RE-READ the post above ... as I am trying to ignore ignorance of not reading the ABOVE POST ... If someone kills your mother ... I bet you would turn to them and give them a free shot at your sister next ???? Great American you are ... I bet your family was a huge part of creating this country we live in ... Spineless ... nothing ....

That is talking not only about you .. but your family as they are the reason you are like you are ....

I really think calling me a moron will get you warned, but I hope any moderator reading this thread doesn't enforce it. I'm also a little angry that you brought my family into it for whatever reason. That's childish and immature; refrain from doing so in the future.

Now I'm trying to figure out if your post is a joke. I mean, no offense, but your post is so arrogant and needlessly inflammatory that I'm wondering if the person behind the computer is so immature. If you really are (and I'll continue with this assumption), then I sincerely ask you to look over your post before you submit it; it'll make us both look better. Additionally, you need to try not to do that thing where you type one line and press enter three times, it makes your posts (the one before the post I quoted) difficult to read.

Now, back on topic. My problem is with things like this:

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured: I don't care.

See, I never flipped out over this, and I actually told some people to think before running with isolated reports of torture (ex. Abu Ghraib, though I still think it's wrong). But the problem is that we can't start down the slippery slope of inhumanity. Humiliating and torturing prisoners is something that is dishonorable and inhumane, and ultimately ineffective when trying to extract information. In fact, I'd advise you to read the KUBARK Counterintelligence Interrogation document by the CIA. It was declassified in 1997 and offers insight into both coercion and psychology.

Giving honor doesn't mean giving someone a metaphorical "free shot." It means refraining from causing terror and pain when there's no reason to do so (except for "getting back" at people, which is completely invalid).

I think torture is pretty spineless, if you want to call it that. This kind of arrogance, disrespect, and hate is much of the reason why Americans are seen in a bad light sometimes.

apc

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What do Islamic terrorists have to do with my original post?

Deus_Brandon... take a Xanax and please, stay on topic.

Whether or not Christianity were at war with Islam, the ACLU would still be trying to remove the Christian elements from this nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
That is something good to say ... and ALL FACTS ... I can't help it if FACTS ARE FACTS ... SO ... You are the one that is ATTACKING ME ... for REBUTTLING THE TRUTH ... Come on now BILL .. (REFERRING TO CLINTON) ....

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
Deus Brandon. There was little or no call for that little rant. You disagree? Fine. Keep it civil, or don't bother. In case you hadn't noticed, the powers that be are getting a little upset with the rudeness and incivility that seems to have erupted recently.

Like my mom used to say, "If you got nothin' good to say, keep your trap shut..."

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
That is something good to say ... and ALL FACTS ... I can't help it if FACTS ARE FACTS ... SO ... You are the one that is ATTACKING ME ... for REBUTTLING THE TRUTH ... Come on now BILL .. (REFERRING TO CLINTON) ....

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
How can I see BRITAIN and England telling thier soldiers MARCHING in line ... That they were going to conquer these Americans without breaking formation while these Americans eventually sent them with thier Tail tucked between thier legs ... That is what is happening here ... IF YOU ARE THAT BLIND !!!

Maybe you should take a TOUR OF DUTY to Afghanistan or Iraq ... Either way there are many changes that have to be made unless we want to fight forever .. and I promise The soldiers over there HATE THIER LIFES over there ... Nevertheless they are trying to do the best they can ... If we would lift issues of stupidity on them ... Then POSSIBLY we could take care of this ISLAM issue once and for all ...

Just ask Blackwater .... How they do thier RECON .... and how they get their INTELL ....

new topics

top topics

join