It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Radome at RAF Menwith Hill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hi everyone.

Ever since I found out what RAF Menwith Hill was all about (by reading on ATS) I've been very interested in it and tried to keep up to date any developments there.

I quite often drive along the A59, which passes quite close to the base along the perimiter, giving a great view of the radomes.

Anyways, today was the first time I drove by in a couple of months and I noticed the Satellite/radar dish that was located between the existing radomes and the A59 is being enclosed into a new radome.

Heres a picture I took today, sorry for the tree being in the way, I had to stop and take the picture from the carpark of a pub because the road was far too busy to stop on.

Picture Taken Today

The picture shows the satellite/radar dish partially enclosed into a new radome. This is the only picture I managed to take, just out of that shote there was a large mobile crane and on the ground next to the crane was the 'lid' or top of the radome, ready to go on.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi UKMickey,

Just wanted to say great post! As I understand it Menwith hill was already the largest NSA station outside of the US, so this development looks like it will be keeping that accolade for a while.
I wonder how many millions of US dollars were spent on this new toy? Has there been any local news coverage regarding this?

Cheers

Robbie

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Menwith Hill is primarly an NSA SIGINT station that provides primary coverage for the Europian area. The base is used to evesdrop on communications and missile testing. It also does relay for other intercept stations such as the moble post stationed at Rodwesten, Germany. What you have in the photo appears to be the ground station antanna for the Rhyolite series of spy sattelites.

Tim

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys

This is irrefuteble (sp?)proof that RAF Menwith Hill is expanding, maybe even proof of Echelon expanding too?

Im going to be passing by again late at the end of June, so I'll be able to see if theres anything else going on there, I'll even try and get a clearer picture, although Im sure the top of the radome will be installed by then.

Mick

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't live too far from this base, it's always interested me.

Cheers for the post.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
there is an even more secret base linked with menwith . it is located just outside Scarbourgh.

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
there is an even more secret base linked with menwith . it is located just outside Scarbourgh.

snoopyuk

RAF Fylingdales?

[edit on 4-6-2007 by sparkym]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
No it is actually in the outskirts of scarbourgh, it used to be ROC Scarbourgh, until it was taken over by the mil intel people.

snoopyuk

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just a quick note to say I'm going to be passing by Menwith Hill again next week, so I'm going to see if I can get some clear, unobstructed photos, and also check if theres been any further building work since my last trip

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Nice one Micky, look forward to the update!

Snoopy, I think you are refering to Irton Moor, this is another SIGINT station but unlike Menwith, Irton Moor is primarily UK run. It was once referred to as CSO Scarborough, or just 'Scarborough' but never ROC Scarborough.
ROC Scarborough would have been the ROC post near the castle, this has now been removed but similar examples can still be found all over the country. Check out the Subbrit site for pics.

CSO stands for Composite Signals Organisation and it is part of GCHQ.

CSO Irton Moor can be found at 54°16'2.76"N 0°26'47.17"W and is extremely clear on Google Earth.

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Aren't these dome things to protect against bad weather and the like?

My friend works on coastal radar systems and he says the domes they put on them are simply to protect them from the elements.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Hi Zanzibar,

Yes that's exactly right, they serve no purpose other than protection of the dish itself.

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We have a website in the Air Force that advertises jobs around the world that we can volunteer for for each different career field. From time to time RAF Menwith Hill pops up on there, and in the job description it talks about the ECHELON program....doesnt really describe what you would be doing, but it does say that it is a Top Secret job...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
sorry to bump an old thread. brilliant picture. i often walk round that area and wondered what was inside them.

cheers

new topics

top topics

join