It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28 new planets discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

(YahooNews)-The list of known planets outside our solar system grows. One newcomer is the size of Neptune.

news.yahoo.com...

HONOLULU-Astronomers have discovered 28 new planets outside of our solar system, increasing to 236 the number of known exoplanets, revealing that planets can exist around a broad spectrum of stellar types-from tiny, dim stars to giants.

news.yahoo.com...

The planets are among 37 new objects spotted within the past year. Seven of the objects are failed stars called brown dwarfs, with masses that dwarf the largest, Jupiter-sized planets but too small to sustain the nuclear reactions necessary for stellar ignition.

news.yahoo.com...

Full story here
news.yahoo.com...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 29/5/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
These planets keep popping up, soon they will be finding planets that they believe can support life. IMO, this is the early stages of disclosure of extraterestrials, getting us acclimated incrimentally if you will. With so many planets out there, I find it ignorant to assume we are the only ones blessed with life and civilization. We have learned so much already by studying just a small percent of our viewable universe. Imagine if we could find a way to get some probes to these planets to study them.(good luck with that one, NASA)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Acesinthehole.

Are you saying these scientists have all the information already and are just releasing it slowly? to prepare us for "disclosure"?

i should remind you theres over 60 independant projects from ground based telescopes ongoing around the world and 1 space observatory with a fruther 15 planned in the future and thats just looking for planets.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by yeti101]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is great news. I can't wait until the day my grandchildren can take a vacation to another planet and meet another species.

I say grandchildren because i dont think its going to be possible for that for a long long time. And im only 17, so my grandchildren are far far off.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
Acesinthehole.

Are you saying these scientists have all the information already and are just releasing it slowly? to prepare us for "disclosure"?

Not exactly, but if they did have this information, they certainly wouldn't just schedule a landing on TV for all to see. People would freak out and chaos would erupt. Humans have to first be comfortable with the ideas that life outside this planet is a possiblility. Just think, 60 years ago you mention a UFO people would think you are crazy. Now people claim to see them all the time. I would not be suprised if they found some microbial life form on mars or some other near planet or moon within the next 10 years.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is great news and should get more attention. This just makes it more known that planets are not as rare in the universe as once thought.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
yeah but the people you say have the alien information are not the same people doing planet hunting. Or realeasing this information.

and we will discover earth size planets soon only becuase we now have the technology(CoRoT) to do it. Not becuase of any disclosure agenda.

i agree we might find microbial life in our solar system but it might take longer than 10 years.

i emailed one of the CoRoT team last week, i asked how long would it take to prcoess all the stars from the first run?, Is the raw data looking good for planets? & Do you think we will get an earth mass planet from the first run of data? below is his reply

Hi,
The data from the first run looks extremely good, but the software development is going slow (lack of manpower). The data quality is such that in principle we can go down to 1 Earth radii, but this requires a large number of eclipses (of order 10), which translates into an orbital period
(year) shorter than 6 days for the first run. This will increase to 15-20 days for the first long run which we started the other day.
Regards
malcolm

well it was very nice of him to reply and he says the data looks "extremely good" . Earth sized planets are pssible from the 1st run but not likely. The 2nd longer run(3 months) should give us an earth sized planet in the HZ of a red dwarf star.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
yeah but the people you say have the alien information are not the same people doing planet hunting. Or realeasing this information.

Yes, but nothing signifigant in regards to life has been found yet. I'm sure the government has some contact with programs like these. If they had something that they weren't ready for the pubic to know, they will classify the info under national security, it's been done before(in other situations) and it will be done again.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Any planets found are light years away - lots of L/years. New tech will definatly be needed to even to attempt communication shots at possible candiates for devoloped sociatys - let alone transport. In short, unless something seriously major (and very cool) devolops, i'm not holding my breath for proof of ET intelligent life in my life time - shame but realistic.

Every new discovery adds to the 'we are not alone' idea though, I like that.

They gotta find us - were still too dumb

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Yes, but nothing signifigant in regards to life has been found yet

like when nasa announced they found microbes in martian rocks, that tunred out to be false but why wasnt that cesored? What do you think could be found at this time regarding life outside our planet by exoplanet programmes?

I'm sure the government has some contact with programs like these

There are 60 ground based exoplanet search programs running all over the world. How would "The Government" control the information released by all of them? or do you mean each government in the respective programmes country?

If they had something that they weren't ready for the pubic to know
Like what? again i ask what information could these 60 exoplanet programmes have in regards to life outside our own planet?

new topics

top topics

join