It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's former food and drug chief sentenced to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

China's former food and drug chief sentenced to death

www.forbes.com

China has sentenced the former head of its food and drug watchdog to death on corruption charges for accepting bribes in return for granting approvals for hundreds of medicines.

The sentence by a Beijing court comes as China scrambles to assert control over its chaotic food and pharmaceutical industries, following a series of public health scares from Chinese-made products.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Are you worried about having the food supply poisioned?

[edit on 29-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This comes after the scare of several products which is some cases have caused death. This does make me wonder how long this has been going on and it was not for all that much money. With the vast quantity of products coming out of China, and the conditions that its workers sometimes live in, it sounds to me like the place could an opportunity for some one to cause a lot of terror through a large section of the world.

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Sounds more like the communist government is asserting it's control over the chaotic unbridled capitalistic greed of this F&D head than being concerned with the welfare of the people and the quality of their foods and drugs.

China historically has not been that concerned with the wellbeing of the people and more concerned with the wellbeing of it's control of those people.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
whatukno,
Yes i do agree with all of that. However it is that lack of concern that might make China an attractive place for some one who wants to cause terror to set up shop.
Might be a stretch or might not be. Don't really know.

apc

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'm thinking if any terrorist organizations set up in China they would have to be local recruits. An Arab in China would be a tad more conspicuous than in Europe or the US.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
apc,
Yes that is true. However on the other hand, all people, including Arabs, and all states that might want to cause terror, either will or can easily do business in China. So many can come and go frequently and it would not been seen as being all that uncommon. Recreating locally I am sure can be done also. That has happened often enough in the past.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wow, was he responsible in any way for allowing the recent bad imports from China, or did he try to stop them??

In the thread about the tainted pet foods....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted a link to an article about other Chinese imports.....kinda scary, and certainly opens one's eyes to the danger of 'accidental' contaminations, not even to mention the wide open danger of intentional contaminations.

www.truthout.org...

In four months, FDA refused 298 shipments.

Dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical.

Frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics.

Scallops and sardines coated with putrefying bacteria.

Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by frayed1]

[edit on 29-5-2007 by frayed1]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Can you say SCAPEGOAT? All anyone has to do is to look at the Chinese government involvement in any aspect in business to realize that this is just some poor sucker who was left without a chair when the music stopped. Funny thing though, I hear plenty from people who condem the US death penalty, yet when China is involved it is strangely silent.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Frayed,
Thanks for posting that additional information. I was glad to see it looks like the FDA is doing its job. That list looked pretty scary to me if any of those had gotten through.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Can you say SCAPEGOAT? All anyone has to do is to look at the Chinese government involvement in any aspect in business to realize that this is just some poor sucker who was left without a chair when the music stopped.

Jimc,
Yes I do think you are probably right, if not in whole then at least in part. I would not put it past there government to find and use a scape goat. However that is something that we will probably never really know for sure.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
from the American P.O.V. this is why we need to step up funding for research of our own prescription medicines, create more jobs by doing so and reconfigure a national health care

this is getting ridiculous

that Chinese chief was a shady character though

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Kyyuulle
I am not really to sure funding for prescription drugs is the answer. But I do agree that the health care system needs to reworked.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Can you say SCAPEGOAT? All anyone has to do is to look at the Chinese government involvement in any aspect in business to realize that this is just some poor sucker who was left without a chair when the music stopped. Funny thing though, I hear plenty from people who condem the US death penalty, yet when China is involved it is strangely silent.

That we know of in China there are at least 10,000 executions each year, and those are only what we know because executions in China are conducted in secret.

The laws in China are a bit different than in most parts of the world. If you get convicted of a crime such as having enough drugs on you to be considered as a seller, being in certain religious groups, being too Democratic, or just because you are seen as a danger to the Chinese government, or even if some rich person needs one of your organs, you will get a death penalty, and there are no appeals.

Once you get a veredict, if you are guilty they take you to another room, shoot you in the head and then charge your family for the bullet that was used to kill you.

You hear a lot of claims from people/members who say "Oh, but the U.S. has more people in jail than even China"....but they don't know that this is because in China, you get executed for lesser crimes, and there are no appeals and no turning back once you have been found guilty.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join