It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Long Kiss Goodnight. Life imitates art?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ok. I was not sure where to post this, but then I saw this thread (Terrorist Insurgents" in American Popular Culture) www.abovetopsecret.com...
and I figure this is along the same line so here is my post.

I was just re-watching the 1996 movie, The Long Kiss Goodnight. I was thinking about which movie I would like to see a sequel to, and I guess I have a selective memory, cause part of that movie has a plot called Operation Honeymoon. It's basically a plot to cause a terrorist attack and then blame it on the Muslims so that these US government types can get funding for black ops or something like that.

I also noticed in the movie it mentioned the first WTC bombing attempt and that at the trial for the bombing, one of the terrorists mentioned that the CIA had advanced knowledge of the bombing?

I am just wondering are there anymore movies/books out there like this? Movies that kind of had similar plots, or ideas, that came out before 9/11? Anything that talks about creating terrorism to get more money for anti-terrorism operations? I am just curious and I thought that I would throw it out. There is a clip below from the movie and the quote from it as well.

Here is a really good clip from part 1.

www.youtube.com...

Charlie: You're running a fund-raiser.

Mitch: Fund-raiser?

Leland Perkins: ... World Trade Center bombing, remember? During the trial, one of the bombers claimed the CIA had advance knowledge.
The diplomat who issued the terrorists' visa was CIA. It's not unthinkable they paved the way for the bombing, purely to justify a budget increase.

Mitch: Your telling me that your gonna fake some terrorist thing just to scare some money out of Congress?

Leland Perkins: Well, unfortunately I have no idea how to fake killing 4,000 people - so we're just gonna have to do it for real. Blame it on the Muslims, naturally. Then I get my funding.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I suppose if you watch enough movies you will always find examples of life imitating art. If a writer can dream it up you can bet an alphebet soup agency or terrorist group can as well.

I really don't see the agencies having to do fundraisers though.

Remember last year when Rumsfeld sat before congress and said the defense department had lost 2.6 trillion dollars? They simply couldn't find it and had no idea where the money went.

The budget for the defense department that year was 300 billion. How can you lose 2.6 trillion when you've only been given 300 billion to spend?

They're not hurting for money.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Speaking of art imitating life Shoot The Iraqi on line: Art Imitating Life I posted this a day or so ago.

[edit on 28/5/2007 by Sauron]

oups I guess I got the title bass aackwards

[edit on 28/5/2007 by Sauron]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
HI mrwupy.

They're not hurting for money.

Well now they are not for money for sure. I just wonder what their budget was like 5-10 years ago? I am not saying 9/11 was a fund raiser event like in the movie, but it sure did allow them to pass a lot of laws really quickly, and it did allow Americans to be so scared, that they let them do it.

I am just wondering how many more such plots were dreamed up before 9/11? Movies/books? I must have seen this movie a few times since it first came out and now, and I don't think I ever fully clued into the part about using a terrorist plot to create funding.

I know if a writer can dream it up, so can others, but the question then comes into play is did they?

Hi Sauron.

A LOTR fan, I see.

I checked out the link. Very interesting. I think that is one really neat way to try to use art to bring awareness about what is happening.

top topics

join