It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anything divided by zero is infinite multiplied by that number!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The term isn't undefined.
Anything divided by zero equals that amount that you divide by zero multiplied by infinite...
i.e 2/0= 2*infinite
because there are infinite gaps if there is no number the number is infinite
with infinite gaps you have an infinite amount of groups to divide the amongst the number
so therefore the result would be the number multiplied by the infinite gap.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Wrong.

The very nature of the value of infinity is that it is undefined. The rule of mathematics is that no functioncan have a zero in the denominator. Therefore it is not a function if it is divided by zero. Therefore it is not considered functionally defined. And thus it is called undefined. For a function to be defined it must pass the vertical line test. It is a necessity to maintain proper domain and range of a function. An answer of F(x)=infinity means that F(x) is functionally undefined. X^(infinity) and X*(infinity) is also not a function, it is like saying F(x)=x^(1/0), or F(x)= x*(1/0). A proces in which you are voilating the same rule of mathematics. Therfore you are correct, that dividing by zero is like multiplying by, or raising a number to a power of infinity. But you are incorrect in assuming that that is a defined function.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by Eyeofhorus]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
What's the point anyways? Would that prove anything?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Therfore you are correct, that dividing by zero is like multiplying by, or raising a number to a power of infinity. But you are incorrect in assuming that that is a defined function.

I am not saying that it is defined in the function of an equation because they are still trying to figure out how to use the function of the zero in an equation but the truth of the matter is that dividing anything by zero is muliplying it or raising a number to infinite.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well I would think calling an undefined result because zero was created as a placeholder. There is no year zero, we go from 1BC to 1AD. Dividing 2 by 0 could result in a number of infinity to -infinity. As infinity is an undefined concept the result is undefined.

Now to make things confusing we call .3 repeating + .6 repeating=.9 repeating or 1 as .9 repeating is 1 (Calculus) However .9 repeating is also a concept as no number divided by any other number will result in .9 repeating. That and adding numbers with repeating decimals is also a bit as undefined as dividing by 0 is.

That arguement got me a withdraw passing when I was in reality failing Calculus II at the time. Got to love how some matheticians make some tallies

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Zero goes into 2,uh, zero times. I don't get what you are saying at all.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
I am not saying that it is defined in the function of an equation because they are still trying to figure out how to use the function of the zero in an equation but the truth of the matter is that dividing anything by zero is muliplying it or raising a number to infinite.

So what are you saying, what is the point? I already proved that dividing by zero is like multiplying by infinity. Considering the above statement; Where is the mathematical CONSPIRACY? After my 4 years of differential calc, integral calc, dif-eq, and modern calculus; I fail to see how this makes any difference in the rules of mathematics. A value of infinity is an undefined value. Please prove me wrong by writing infinity as a rational number. Anytime you create a mathematical operation where the result is infinty you have an undefined function. Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, logaritims, roots, and powers are all mathematical operations, and therefore could yeild a valid function. In this case it does not.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I don't understand the issue.
Is there a conspiracy in this?

2 x Everything = Everything. So saying 2 x INF or INF, is just saying the same thing.
Just like 2 x Nothing is still Nothing.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by emjoi]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
I don't understand the issue.
Is there a conspiracy in this?

2 x Everything = Everything. So saying 2 x INF or INF, is just saying the same thing.
Just like 2 x Nothing is still Nothing.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by emjoi]

Well you don't understand the logical basis of what I am saying. The universe came from nothing. Therefore there is a zero in the equation of the Universe so the Universe is a grand illusion. So if nothing=everything in our Universe therefore 0=infinite.

So 5/0=infinite

0 is a defined number... so it's pointless to say that it's undefined... if 0 was undefined therefore our existence would be undefined right?

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well... something as yet unexplained happened for the Universe to Exist, but saying it is an Illusion doesn't really solve the issue.
If it's an illusion, where is this illusion taking place? What is the observer experiencing the illusion constructed out of?
It's the old "If God made the World, then who made God?" thing.

Having said that, the Universe is Really Really Big, but it's not Infinite.
It has a finite number of atoms... a quick Google throws up the number 4x10^79 as a guess. Probably wrong, but it'll be a big finite number.

I prefer the idea that we have positives and negatives canceling each other out.
4x10^79 atoms of positive matter balance with 4x10^79 anti-matter atoms (in another universe?).

One day they may recombine, returning to a sum total of Zero.

(I realise we are on totally different wavelengths here. Left Brain vs Right Brain)

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
Well... something as yet unexplained happened for the Universe to Exist, but saying it is an Illusion doesn't really solve the issue.
If it's an illusion, where is this illusion taking place? What is the observer experiencing the illusion constructed out of?
It's the old "If God made the World, then who made God?" thing.

Having said that, the Universe is Really Really Big, but it's not Infinite.
It has a finite number of atoms... a quick Google throws up the number 4x10^79 as a guess. Probably wrong, but it'll be a big finite number.

I prefer the idea that we have positives and negatives canceling each other out.
4x10^79 atoms of positive matter balance with 4x10^79 anti-matter atoms (in another universe?).

One day they may recombine, returning to a sum total of Zero.

(I realise we are on totally different wavelengths here. Left Brain vs Right Brain)

Well the universe is expanding and we dont have a count for the number of atoms in the universe. Who knows maybe atoms are being formed someplace in the universe where it's far to see. Maybe even right now new planets and stars ae forming.

I bet you they are.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by Emperiorjack]

[edit on 1-6-2007 by Emperiorjack]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
anyways thanks to this thread. I have to find the pattern of infinite.

Thanks alot.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Any non-zero number divided by 0 could be both -infinity and infinity at the same time, therefore it is undefined.

0/0 however can be quite interesting. It can mean really be any number at all (or undefined) depending on the equation that generated that result.

[edit on 6/1/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 6/1/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Zero is a placeholder in our numeric system. When you have one cow then transport it into the mother ship and fly away, you have no cow in its place, zero cows okay? The grass and space where the cow was are not the cow, do you understand? Zero in effect quantifies a subject matter of physical units, and in mathematical abstraction stands for a number quantifying anything in a number of units. Grammatically numbers may be considered adjectives, modifying nouns such as a herd of cattle consisting say of 100 after you count them. Zero cows at all may quantify an empty space ready for a cow if you will. Most of the time numbers quantify nothing in particular, simply calculations which apply to the field itself as numbers alone.

You can drop the cow back down unharmed and you have one cow where there were zero cows, but then you have one cow. You cannot divide by zero, except in your imagination, but you are not doing mathematics but rather pseudo mathematical fiction.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

There is no year zero

Astronomers use it when dating ancient astronomical events.....

0=1BC
-1=2BC
-2=3BC

....etc.

For example, if a comet was seen in the first half of January 44BC, the designation of that comet would be C/-43A1.

top topics

join