It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultrasound Beyond the Speed of Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is some interesting math that states that sound can travel faster then light (c)

The results have yet to be proven experimentally but do factor correctly on paper and with certain experiments have shown very large group velocity are possible.

The technology is very simple and is just the use of ultrasound, water, plastic beads and the dispertion of the sound wave.

The speed of the components of the different dispersed waves can add up to higher then c group velocity value and even to infinity, or back in time.

However attunation increases with this Superluminal Ultrasound Wave making it very hard to detect.

This technology would be good for electonic filters and high frequency oscillators but will not send information back in time they state.

Sorry to disappoint but the attenuation will never allow matter, energy, and usable signals to be useable in this faster then light travel, but I believe it is the first paper I have read with a real faster then light component.

Cheers and continue to dream. Remember the Universe does not speak english.

At this point, it is worth remembering that sound waves -- like all waves -- are made of two main parts: (1) the underlying wave oscillations, in this case pressure oscillations in a medium such as air or water, which travel at the normal speeds of sound, and (2) the "envelope" that gives the wave its shape. In Mobley's setup, the envelope has the shape of a bell curve. The speed at which the envelope moves is called the group velocity. One measures the group velocity by following the envelope's peak (its maximum height, or amplitude).

In a mixture of water and beads, an ultrasound pulse experiences severe dispersion, meaning that different frequencies in the pulse travel at very different speeds. The components of the wave add up so that the peak of the wave can move faster than c. With even greater degrees of dispersion, the peak can actually start traveling backwards, so that a detector deeper in the mixture detects the peak earlier than a shallower detector. This would result in a negative group velocity. None of this violates the principles of causality, since the leading edge of the ultrasound wave still arrives at the shallower detector first and the deeper detector next. It's just the peak of the envelope, which determines the group velocity, which would move around in weird ways.

www.aip.org...

layperson paper
www.acoustics.org...

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am surprised I got no response to this posting.
I am very interested in super luminal speeds and on paper its actually correct using sound and the combined groupwave propagation speed.
Any thoughts?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well I love theoretical papers that have simple test to prove them.
I look forward to this particular experiment and the results.

anyone else interested in super luminal speeds?

What I find cool is I got two post on sound and light.
One where sound slows light to a crawl

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this one where the group sound wave goes faster then light.
pretty cool of me.
If I could I would give myself free points

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well not a single reply to a scientific paper on super luminal propagation of the group peak sound wave.

I guess this is not as a enlightened group as I thought.
Not a single reply?
Yes, No or otherwise

Not even byrd chimed in to discredit it

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
sound dispersion looks different than EM dispersion, that much is clear, however:

While Mobley has not yet demonstrated this feat experimentally, his preliminary experiments on ultrasound in a water-sphere mixture have shown close agreement with theory and indicate that very large group velocities are possible. If experimentally confirmed, superluminal group velocity in sound waves could potentially be exploited for useful applications, such as making electronic filters and high-frequency ultrasound oscillators.

i could not care less what their preliminary results look like, because linear extrapolation works only in peoples' imagination. furthermore, slowing light ('to a crawl') is fashionable nowadays and i'd willing to bet that someone will eventually make sound move faster than said crawling light in a super bizarre setting and claim goldike power /jk. anyway, the day they are beating vacuum 'c' i'll be all ears, obviously.

it's still interesting, since there's a 'wacko' theory that nerves are actually conducting sound...

www.livescience.com...

in this light, i'd wager the real 'killer' application would be creating a replacement for the glass fiber, with the enviable trait of sending high frequencies faster than low ones, the exact opposite of today's fibers.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Group velocity is able to exceed the speed of light, and this has been demonstrated a lot of times. But information can not travel at group velocity.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
could you point me to some other observations of this phenomanon please if possible.

Its still interesting a sceneario that I was not aware of before.

Any other literature is apprciated...but I shall google, I had not considered it was old news.
DOOH!

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There has been several discussions on this subject here on ats in the past. They might turn up with persistent searching.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
on 'frozen light'

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yes I posted about sound slowing light to a halt in a special fiber optic

this is much more mainstream as it is at room temperature and has common material.
Thats really the polar opposite of this thread.

top topics

join