It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two-Dimensional Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is a repost.
I have a brain injury and I guess I did not put quotes in the right place.
Be that as it may, I have little to add to the post accept that the manipulation of light in its many phases is important for the future technology of quantum computers.
I believe that this technology of Plasmons will be part of that future

Two-Dimensional Light

Two-dimensional light, or plasmons, can be triggered when light strikes a patterned metallic surface. Plasmons may well serve as a proxy for bridging the divide between photonics (high throughput of data but also at the relatively large circuit dimensions of one micron, or one thousandth of a millimeter) and electronics (relatively low throughput but tiny dimensions of tens of nanometers, or millionths of a millimeter).

One might be able to establish a hybrid discipline, plasmonics, in which light is first converted into plasmons, which then propagate in a metallic surface but with a wavelength smaller than the original light; the plasmons could then be processed with their own two-dimensional optical components (mirrors, waveguides, lenses, etc.), and later plasmons could be turned back into light or into electric signals.

To show how this field is shaping up, here are a few plasmon results from that great international physics bazaar, the March Meeting of the American Physical Society, which took place last week in Baltimore.
www.aip.org...

new topics

join