It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Iraqi, Afghan Wars "Our Destiny"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Bush: Iraqi, Afghan Wars "Our Destiny"

www.cbsnews.com

Speaking under overcast skies after laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns and meeting privately at the White House with the families of some fallen servicemen and women, Mr. Bush called the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan a part of the nation's destiny. He said they follow a rich tradition of similar American sacrifices throughout this country's history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Our Destiny eh?

As if the free world has any choice, or the soldiers who must face our destine enemies.

"Our destiny" will ultimately be George W. Bush's legacy.

Will history ultimately show that those who have sacrificed so much in this war, did so for a just cause, and were not just further casualties resulting from misguided, or failed policies?

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
just wondering how many of our servicemen there feel it's their "destiny", or weather they think it's fate, bad luck, crazy president, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time..
wonder how many believe in the concepts of destiny??

hey I know, it's bush's destiny, he should be there too!!!

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Considering, that G.W.Bush does not represent American People, I think that he was right; considering that he is only a businessman - as is the entire current U.S. government - he is representing the interests of M.I.C., or better known as Military-Industrial Complex, a close and symbiotic relationship among a nation's armed forces, its private industry, and associated political and commercial interests. In such a system, the military is dependent on industry to supply material and other support, while the defense industry depends on government for revenue. Which means, that it actually IS their DESTINY to fight wars, wherever for whatever reasons is not really important at all. The only thing that is important is to create a perpetual state of war, since war means money for the M.I.C. and they are never ever going to let that stop! In order to have wars, you need to have enemies, which must always be carefully Created, so that the public fears them and that public supports the government, which is in bed with the M.I.C., so that wars can be waged with big approval.

And in the case of Iraq and Afganistan - it is more then obvious that it is their DESTINY to wage several wars in several Middle Eastern theaters in order to keep the flow of money to their claws. And what better place, then countries, which are swimming in oil - which only means. So - the military-industrial complex gets money, oil industry gets money, construction industry gets money; and everybody is happy, who has their stocks. So naturally it is the DESTINY of M.I.C. - but that does not mean it is the destiny of People of America.

Question now arises, who is the real ENEMEY of America and the People of America? Foreign terrorist networks, or fragments of American government, who want to wage wars, not really caring if they fight Muslim or Communists, as long as the wars keep on lasting.

I think more people should read or listen to Eisenhower's farewell address - several times a day if needed too. His words now echo only as a faint warning, of a president of a country that once used to be a role model for Liberty and Democracy and Justice FOR ALL...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Will history ultimately show that those who have sacrificed so much in this war, did so for a just cause, and were not just further casualties resulting from misguided, or failed policies?

I guess that depends on which version of history you plan on reading. Will it be the one that ignores economic and class interests as reasons for intervention, or the one that analyzes it.

Far from misguided or failed policies, US foreign/intervention policy has been largely successful in achieving the goals of those that make such policies.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
These people are really something. They've been rigging election's since JFK. They've been killing their own citizen's to send more of the citizen's to a war that benefit's themselves. They've been lieing directly to our faces on every occassion since 911. Then he has the balls to tell the families of all the American's who lost their children or had them come back from war deformed, that it was destiny?

Memorial Day should be the day we remember that America is really ruled by Murdering cowards who hide behind politicain's and send our people to die.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
Far from misguided or failed policies, US foreign/intervention policy has been largely successful in achieving the goals of those that make such policies.

Can you elaborate on these "goals" that have been achieved in this war?

Would you say that the war in Iraq, for example, has been "largely successful" ?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

Can you elaborate on these "goals" that have been achieved in this war?

Would you say that the war in Iraq, for example, has been "largely successful" ?

I dont claim to know all the goals. But some important goals of US intervention are as follows:

Protection of the capital accumulation process
To open a country up to multinational investment
Protection of exisiting social economic orders and the status quo, as well as to crush any competing social order.

While in the thick of a war such as this, it is hard to see which perogatives have been fulfilled. However, we can already see a few of the things i listed have been acomplished, or are on their way.

For instance, the establishment of a government compliant with Multi-National companies and foreign capital. (IE the once nationalized oil feilds, are now privatized, and most likely on more favorable terms to the investing company than to the governernment/Iraqi people.)

Iraq followed a slightly revolutionary path when Saddam nationalized the oil and water industry, demanding that Oil be sold on his terms instead of the Oil Cartel's, threatening the capital accumulation process in that country, and any other ME country that might decide later to follow Iraq's path.

Would i say that this current war has been "largely successful" to those goals i listed? Not fully, but its on its way.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
How success or failure in this war is measured is a matter of individual interpretation apparently.

If this war is ultimately a failure, was failure "our destiny" as well?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

How success or failure in this war is measured is a matter of individual interpretation apparently.

Well said. My personal feelings on the success or failure of war, relies on the reasons for war in the first place. If the war (civil or otherwise) was the result of popular agitation for the betterment of a repressed civilian population, and that betterment comes around, then despite the loss of life and infastructure, I'd say the war served its purpose. Lets face it, no social order is going to willingly let itsself be destroyed, especially the elite. At least not when they have repressive powers of the state at their hands.

If this war is ultimately a failure, was failure "our destiny" as well?

Thats going on the assumption that the US was destined to go back into Iraq and the ME (which i personally dont believe for a second.) As you noted, the success or failure is judged by the individual. If we look at this war from the goals I listed, and the perspective of Foreign capital, this war may turn into a success (provided there isnt a protrated civil war that levels all industry and labour forces.) However, if we look at it from the common soldier or citizen, this war is a complete failure costing US citizens dollars and lives daily.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
How many times throughout history have leaders sought to rally support for THEIR war goals and used that term 'destiny'? When there is no rational, when there is no logical reason to be presented, that is the term is used.

This collective, red and blue, that have led us to these depths, have no real motivating emblem left, so they use that old withered phrase to try and stir up some support, knowing that there is nothing left but shopworn lies that no one can accept.

Destiny, as if there were no other choice. As if it were writ in stone.

A final insult, to tell America that there is no longer free will, only the masters bidding.

What conceit, what pomposity, what evil, has been seen of late.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
:flag:

So anyone know what the name of this "destiny"?

It's known as Manifest Destiny, that is is our divine destiny to expandthe "country" , and that title is over 100 years old:
en.wikipedia.org...

Dubya is right tho, American Imperialism is our true national heritage:
Beyond Conspiracy: American Hegemony (ATS Newsletter Special)
The FIRST Truth

It's no wonder that GWB said this:

In his speech, Mr. Bush said the freedoms that people enjoy in this country today "came at a great cost and they will surive only so long as there are those who are willing to protect them."
www.cbsnews.com...

As the "freedom" he's talking about is the establishments freedom to imperialistically dominate the world.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
So I wonder if the cheering people who waited for the motorcade were paid actors?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
What i have noticed since the war is the increase in the heroin production. The Taliban out lawed the growth of poppy fields. Since the war the poppies and there by products are the number one import from Afghanistan. Interesting that heroin is now the fastest growing drug use among Americas youths. Other than that I cant think of any other import that comes from Afghanistan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The "White Man's Burden" redux?
At first I thought truly he misspoke, while searching for some other word. No, he really means it. Sigh..."and the big fool said to push on", as the song goes...

"We've heard of 174 Marines recently, almost a quarter of battalion, who asked to have their enlistments extended," Mr. Bush said.

Built-in troop reduction. 75% won't re-up. 75% will need to be replaced.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I watched Mr. Bush speak live, and I don't think he flubbed his lines. If anything, I think he tried hard to stay on script. My hope is that a lot of Americans will pick up on his choice of words. If you were ever looking for an excuse to e-mail your Senator or Congressman, this would be it.

You can go to House.gov, or even Senate.gov, to find and click through the menus to send your elected leaders a quickly typed note. Tell 'em what you think about Mr. Bush's vision of our destiny, and be polite while you're doing it. If enough of us speak, we might be heard. Even if we aren't heard, you'll actually be able to gripe with pride because YOU did something.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by Justin Oldham]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't get it, Bush somehow generalizes a population of over 300 million people in saying that we somehow all agree with his destructive philosophy? Umm...no we don't.

Also, is this really a "war" or just a "conflict"? I seem to lean towards the later for various reasons...

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Currently, it's an "occupation"...

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
We've al got a chance to make a statement. Love it or hate it, we're faced with a unique moment in time to support or speak out against what Mr. bush ahs said. It would be something if every politician in Congress came to work to find that their e-mail servers and voice-mail systems had crashed due to overnight traffic.

I've already done my part. Have you?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Bush is a has-been.

He's got the rest of this year, and the rest of next year, to try to move his policies forward against a dual-democratic house and senate opposed to him.

This means he wont get much through, and what he does will be watered down.

Laws.. bills.. things of this nature.

But he is still Commander in Chief, so he can still attack other countries, start new wars, and stuff like that. Just at home, his political career has hit a brick wall, so all he's got left is his "war games".

The middle east should be conquered and all muslims should be forced to convert to some other religion or have their _____ removed and their women _______ ___ _____.

Because, thats what they did to the North Africans and Southwest Asians during their Islamic Expansion, as well as the tribes throughout the Mid-East.

That is Islamic doctrine, conquer, then convert or kill. "No force in matters of faith.." yeah right! What a joke.

I dont know who I dislike and am disgusted by more, Bush, or the Islamic radicals .. they're both despicable murderers.

Mod Edit: Removed offensive comments.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join