It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lancet Carvings - Are these connected to freemasonry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I am trying to identify whether there is any significance with the attached carvings. The lancet is located where stonemasons at one time worked, so I figured it may have some relevence. It could just be a practice piece but I feel that is unlikely. It sticks out like a sore thumb and is quite different from other carvings to be found here (York Minster).

Any help, gratefully recieved. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
I am trying to identify whether there is any significance with the attached carvings. The lancet is located where stonemasons at one time worked, so I figured it may have some relevence. It could just be a practice piece but I feel that is unlikely. It sticks out like a sore thumb and is quite different from other carvings to be found here (York Minster).

Any help, gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Finally had the 'Ah hah!' moment with this one...however, it still suggests an 'understanding' out of the ordinary for the times...about 1200 to 1300, and is suggestive of Eastern beliefs.

Interesting articles on York Freemasonry...

www.rgle.org.uk...

Though not from a 'recognised' lodge, still valid, and the sources are accurate, Drake is most definately worth reading.

You can find clear connections between the Templars and the Church...and of the Templars own commissions within the Minster...and if you follow the link, there are is a continued affiliation with the Freemasons up to modernity, though the operative Masons are kept in year round work too.

The Minster's windows, 128 in total, contains an unrivalled collection of mediaeval stained glass, together with glass from other centuries.In the north nave aisle is the famous Heraldic window given by Canon Peter de Dene around AD 1308. Amongst the heraldic detail is included the arms of the Knight Templars which suggests the window was made just before the Papal Bulls outlawing them. You will find evidence of masonic monetary help in their upkeep on the wall inscriptions in the north aisle and the south transept. In the South nave aisle is a Jesse window. Jesse was the father of King David and grandfather of King Solomon, so a Jesse Window represents the family tree of the House of David to which Jesus Christ belonged. The roundels were painted by William Peckett in the 18th century with one of them featuring interlocking triangles with an eye at the centre.

philpin.net...

new topics

join