It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian pub bars heterosexuals

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Why? happens to gays and blacks all the time. Why is now an issue? Because it's white heterosexuals being discriminated against? I say too bad. No offense infinite.

white heterosexuals? did I say that?
I don't recall making this a racial issue.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hmmm this won't work.

Anyone can just pretend to be gay and go in, no?

Not that it would be beneficial for a straight person to go in a gay club but it could happen.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfless
Hmmm this won't work.

Anyone can just pretend to be gay and go in, no?

Not that it would be beneficial for a straight person to go in a gay club but it could happen.

You've got a point,
its quite a silly thing to do if you think about it.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
kinda funny when you think about it. How do you ban someone when you can't tell that a person is gay just by looking at them, most of the time. Do they issue "gay" cards?

Same thing i thought.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Do they issue "gay" cards?

HAHAH

could introduce gaydar for security *giggles*

seriously though, this ban isn't going to work. as someone just pointed out, you can just pretend to be gay to get in.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by infinite]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I find it fundamentally hypocritical that straight people are forced to let gay people into their establishments or otherwise do business with them but now gays all of a sudden can exclude people. Isn't the value behind the former being flouted by the latter?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I don't recall making this a racial issue.

You didn't. I did. Sorry for that.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
I find it fundamentally hypocritical that straight people are forced to let gay people into their establishments or otherwise do business with them but now gays all of a sudden can exclude people. Isn't the value behind the former being flouted by the latter?

Or it could be that gay people are getting sick of being discriminated against and are just lashing out against it. Tell me, how is this any different from the Boyscouts excluding gays? Or golf clubs throwing out lesbians once they are found out to be lesbian? There's no difference. Yes, we gays want exceptance but at the expense of getting the shyite beaten out of us is not acceptable.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A genuine hetero wouldn't be seen dead in a gay haunt. Ergo - all males who walk in the door of the Peel Hotel are gay and should be let in. The male patrons of the Peel Hotel who allege that they are straight are really still in the closet and are just pretending until they come out.

Melbourne is the biggest city in the Oz state of Victoria. Victoria was the first state in Oz to legalise prostitution. It leads Australia in submitting to licentiousness and moral turpitude. All the other states will follow except New South Wales which will (irrationally competitive as ever) attempt to outdo Victoria in the destruction of decency. Oz can expect the slime race to escalate.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Or it could be that gay people are getting sick of being discriminated against and are just lashing out against it. Tell me, how is this any different from the Boyscouts excluding gays? Or golf clubs throwing out lesbians once they are found out to be lesbian? There's no difference. Yes, we gays want exceptance but at the expense of getting the shyite beaten out of us is not acceptable.
I agree that there's no difference. But if we're going to force one club to let in everyone, then the other must do the same. I am not arguing that every place should be forced to let everyone in; private establishments have that right. If a group of men want to be in an organization without women, that's their right. If a bunch of whites want a group of just whites, that's dumb but that's their right. But to say that one group should be able to exclude while the other can't? That's inconsistent: it either serves a value being wantonly disregarded by society or rejects a value embraced by society.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ok, well outside of Hicksville, USA, most people are pretty damn tolerant of everyone else, so equating something that happens in the boondocks to the rest of the world is way off base, chum.
I generally agree with all your sentiments, but this is way off base. There is rampant antisemitism in Europe. And the more people flood into the European Union, the more xenophobia reigns because they're scared of the different-looking people taking their jobs. Both groups refuse to assimilate with each other. I had a Romanian roommate talking about how he desperately wanted to be in the EU--but he would do anything to keep those "dirty Turks" out. Racism, homophobia, and misogyny are alive and well in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and South America. And I think I once heard a penguin at the South Pole mutter a racial slur in a National Geographic special. It's at least as bad--if not more in some ways--than America. It just comes in different forms.

[edit on 5/28/2007 by Togetic]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by nazgarn
This is what I heard on the radio station. It appears from my perspective he is just making a bit of a controversy to attract more attention to his establishment.

Thank you very much

I still feel this has the potential to backfire.

Believe me, if this does go unchallenged, then it will open a pandoras box.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this, because equality is equality, not a weapon for the opportunity to discriminate.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Please don't split hairs

Out here racism is concidered as discrimination against a group... and since this pretty much equals as racial segregation i chose to use the word. I meant mainly that the behaivour is stereotypally racist.

But sorry if i offended any racists out there, english is not my native language.

Ps. sanctum, previous sentence doesn't mean that i think that you are a racist

The word you were looking for was Bigot.

Same thing, but more correcter. er..

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
OT, I think this is a good idea. After all, people should be free to do what they want in their own business. Now I'm going to open a bar and ban gays, blacks and gingers. I'm going to cash in on the niche redneck market.

After all, this is equal rights isn't it?

They can do it, then so can I.

If not...Why not?

[edit on 28/5/07 by stumason]

Oi, I'm a half ginger, but don't look it. Don't ban me !!!!!

I like pubs.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is just playing out-right DUMB. I'm assuming this is just some sort of experiment to see if they can pull this off in other countries. The foundation to discriminate just got a whole lot more vague people...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777

Here is the full citation of the decision...

www.austlii.edu.au...

In this exemption, “specified conduct” means –

• to refuse or restrict entry to the Peel Hotel Pty Ltd at 113 Wellington Street Collingwood to people who do not identify as homosexual males where to allow entry or unrestricted entry would, in the opinion of the applicant, its agent or employee, adversely affect the safety or comfort of the venue for its homosexual male patrons, or the nature of that venue as a venue primarily for homosexual male patrons; and
• to advertise those matters.

You can't just run with half the decision...

Sounds like discrimination to me.. On the basis of appearance, judgment is made.

Just for the record, Melboune is right next door to Sydney. Google "Sydney gay and lsebian mardi gras" to get an idea how tolerant Australia is.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
From Wiki : "-To discriminate socially is to make a distinction between people on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit. Examples of categories on which social discrimination is seen include race, religion, gender, weight, disability, ethnicity, height, employment circumstances, sexual orientation and age.

Distinctions between people which are based on individual merit (such as personal achievement, skill or ability) are generally not considered socially discriminatory. Consequently, prohibitions against such discrimination generally will not prevent a government from acting in a legitimate and justifiable way based upon the merit of an individual person."

So now I am the victim of discrimination because I am not gay. I might sue! Seriously, don't pander to minorities-it disadvantages the majority. Watch how much flack the gay community will cop over this. Do they think the beatings will stop just because heterosexuals are not allowed in? It reminds me of a nerd at highschool that used to hide in the girls toilets at lunch time. When the bell rang for the end of lunch he would emerge to see 5 guys casually standing around the corner with their arms folded. Wedgy City!!

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rm8471

Maybe HATEFUL VENGEFUL homophobia is stronger in Australia than here. I don't know. It could be a cultural difference, or lack of good management.

[edit on 5/28/2007 by rm8471]

Nope, we just have more idiots here. We don't sue Macdonald's for extra hot coffee yet, but we're getting there..

And why do lesbians have more animosity towards gays than the rest of society ?

Thats just weird. They must have super tight pants on.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
What if I banned homosexuals? Public outcry?

We should have the right to do whatever we want, and I am ashamed and embarrased that this bull$h17 is going on in Australia.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Tell me about it. Aussie land has lost its way. What happened to a fair days pay for a fair days work? Work choices? You either choose to take a # contract or you don't work. This is getting slightly better with Rudd & Gillard harping on about it...I don't think the government realised how ppular Rudd would be.

Back on topic. No person should EVER be denied entry to a public facilty (Unless they are PROVEN to be a nuicance or criminal). No matter what their race, country of origin, sexual preference or preferred manufacturer (Holden or Ford). This is every free Australian citizens right. Deal with the trouble makers, don't try to label all hetero men as gay bashin thugs. At the end of the day the law is wrong. It's like saying all french people are arseholes(Still not 100% proven).

[edit on 29-5-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join