It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek Fraternitys Topic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Are Fraternities still relevent? Or are they archaic relics left over from the golden age of fraternalism?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Where the heck are all of these threads coming from. You all must be really bored or something.

I am a Sigma Nu alumni, and as far as ritual goes, I am still bound by my oath to never reveal the goings on of our ritual. However I can say that our initiation involves three steps. Our ritual icons are presented in similar fashion to the square and compass of masonry.

Founded in 1869 at VMI, sig nu is primarily a millitary based fraternity. It was founded in order to prevent hazing of freshmen, a big problem at VMI at the time. The quote "we treat our pledges like men, and don't belittle them like boys" would sum up the original intent of the organization. Although that meaning has been lost to most chapters over the years, our chapter strictly adhered to this principle. Our fraternal counterpart, ATO was a VMI fraternity as well. They were known as the 'Blackfeet" and we were known as the "whitefeet." Sig Nu does not endorse the use of illicit substances, or the consumption of alchohol to excess. A meaning also lost to time.

Besides most of my brothers getting so faded they couldn't even contain their bodily functions, we were known for our 'Pudding wrestling" extravaganza. 200 gallons of pudding in a kiddie pool, in the middle of our circle room. The VMI boys would be proud.

As far as fraternal relevance goes, Our brothers assisted one another in matters of life, such as school, substance abuse problems, and job hunting. Unfortuantely most of our other chapters are bent on getting thier charters revoked. They no longer adhere to the true principles of the fraternity. It is very sad to see that our main policy of "no hazing" has been brushed aside, in an age when it is needed the most.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
" The Institute will be heard from today" Gen. Thomas J. STONEWALL Jackson

Than school has a lot of tradition ! It is too bad the administration chose political correctness instead of honor when it came to the New Market Cadets a few years back.

[edit on 27-5-2007 by RWPBR]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
People associate fraternities with parties, booze, drugs and Girls Gone Wild. A lot of the stuff they do seems so gay............

I was in a sorority for two years, ended up getting out of it because it was stupid, expensive and the moral standards were getting about as low as you can get. Since I am outspoken and dared to call a few of them out on infidelity, boozing it up and being mooches..........we parted ways.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I was in a fraternity an I am one to say that for the most part fraternities are relics left over from a golden age of fraternalism. Even if we assume fraternities do not act as a magnet for attracting misfits in college (which is a big assumption to make), the typical fraternity member today is not going to be as studious, intelligent, and well connected as the typical fraternity member was 50 years ago.

American society and colleges have changed a great deal since the 1950's, and fraternities have not been immune from these changes. First of all, 50 years ago only the best students went to college. People who went to college were also well connected. Since only good students went to college, only good students joined fraternities and many of these students were well connected. Today, there are colleges for every type of high school student with every type of academic ability and from every social strata. Since all types of people from dumb jocks to underachieving stoners can be found in college these days, fraternities too will be made up of a lot of different types of people.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think the relevance depends on the college. As far as I know it's still a big part of the college experience.

The problem I am learning (Alpha Phi Delta alumni) is that the insurance is out of hand and most kids can' pay their dues now to keep the charter alive.

Sad I think.

Cory

DCP

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
3 points

I would bet that the Greek system does the most good of any group of kids during college. From fundraisers, volunteer work, to blood drives. Greeks make a great dent in the community. (plus when the parties get busted and they get community service too)

The fraternity brother(sisters) really are your friends for life. i graduated 10 years ago and this weekend i am in a fraternity brothers wedding.

i would argue that fraternities are the safest party environment.

new topics

top topics

join