It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come inmates with life sentences are not killed?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   

One minimum security unit at the Tucson complex holds 456 prisoners, some in tents and trailers bought 15 years ago to solve a "temporary" capacity problem. The officer to prisoner ratio often reaches 1 to 120, Flanagan said, adding that at a low medium security unit with 500 beds, the ratio reaches 1 officer to 60 prisoners if he is "lucky."

www.tucsonweekly.com...

State officials want to boost bed space at nine minimum-security prisons in Michigan so another prison can be closed as a way to slow rising incarceration costs.

www.tucsonweekly.com...

All of this just sickens me. And yes I do agree that petty crimes such as marijuana should not be put in prison for a few years, and then the murderers and others get out. I was watching MTVs Juvies or whatever it is called, were they take advantage of these kids who probably dont get paid and they cash in, but this one guy had a bb gun and the judge was being all mrs. wanna-be judge judy and was talking about this kid going to prison and I was like omg no way.

I sometimes want to move to iceland or something, ew. -.-

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I didnt mean any disrespect at all, the point of this thread is to just vent my anger at how the prisons can be overcrowded and how prisoners can run prisons, and harm the lesser criminals and correctional officers.

(I'm just going off of what I read and watch, so please correct me if I'm wrong because I have no experience inside a prison)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
As promised here are the numbers of fallen Correctional Officers who died line of duty in 2006. Ten officers died in line of duty and many others died of health issues caused by the job. We will be honoring them on Friday June 22 at the annual National Memorial Service which is in Philadelphia this year. For those who would like more information the website is http//www.cpof.org. On June 8 there will be a Memorial Service for San Quentin Corrections professionals who lost their lives in the line of duty. That day marks the 21st anniversary of the murder of Sgt Howell Burchfield by an inmate.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
HEY GH,

I might try to go...

I love Philly and have some friends that live about an hour away I could visit at the same time..

Are you thinking about going?

We could share a Cab.

Semper

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I would love to go but it isn't possible for me.

Sharing a cab would be fun though.

Thanks for going it's nice for fellow law enforcement to recognize us. That doesn't happen very often; we're treated like the red-headed stepchild at the family reunion. But we are law enforcement; who do people think enforces the laws inside the prison?

Anyway if you do go would you please share your thoughts on it with me? I would really appreciate it.

I also wanted to share my views on the death penalty. Here in Washington we have had 3 executions since the penalty was re-enacted about 25 years ago. I have been on duty although not personally involved with 2 of them. We typically have protesters both pro and con on the grounds; for reasons of safety we keep them separated. I respect each person's right to believe as they wish. That being said; I have a problem with the pro camp as they cheer and celebrate the death of the inmate. I call them the ghouls. I see no good reason to celebrate some one's death but rather to mourn the lives lost both the victim and the killer and I mourn the loss of potential all involved had. I admit to feeling relief when the second one was killed because of not only his crime but his outlook. I'm rarely terrified but I admit he terrified me. When you looked in his eyes there was nothing human there. If one could be described as evil personified it was him. But the death penalty does nothing to deter crime; it wasn't meant to it is a penalty and one that I'm ambivalent about. If a mistake is made and an innocent killed you don't get to say oops my bad; it's forever.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

DAVID Letterman's security team has been warned the man who allegedly plotted to kidnap the US talk show host's young son is on the loose and may have a gun. Kelly Frank, 45, and a fellow convict escaped on Friday from Montana State Prison.

www.news.com.au...

This also amazes me how you hear about people escaping so often now, yes they are almost always caught but how is it possible to escape from a prison? It's absolutely amazing.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke[/i

This also amazes me how you hear about people escaping so often now, yes they are almost always caught but how is it possible to escape from a prison? It's absolutely amazing.

It's not as easy as you may think. However, I work about a 56 hour work week. When I go home I try not to think about the job but inmates think about how to escape or beat the system 24/7. They have nothing else to do but think about how to escape. In over 17 years up there we've had only one escape from max custody. That escape as with all escapes was the result of a series of human errors. Errors that we learned from and corrected; that inmate was apprehended less then 12 hours after he escaped. Most escapes are from the min facilities and we haven't had one of those in years because the screening process has been dramatically improved. Although we have an excellent record we train daily to prevent escapes and other major events from happening. We have a team specially trained to track the escaped inmate and return him to custody.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Sometimes, and often it is neccessary to kill. Yes, people change, but people must also not only answer for their actions, but should also be in a position where they cannot continue those actions. Rapers, ruthless murderers, tortureres, and the like all need one thing, a bullet in their damn head. One less of this guys/girls is one less problem in this world. Which is a good thing. Had a thread in the rant forum about this sort of thing.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by racerzeke

Personally I would much rather take the lethal injection over years and years and years locked up. To me that's terrifying, death would be the humane thing to do to me in that case (for me anyway) others may beg to differ, but I would go insane and want to die so that would be the worst fate for me personally.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I, on the other hand, would love to see ALL CRIME answerable to the death penalty.

Crime would drop way low then.

An armed society is a polite and respectful one.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join