It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could a sniper kill at 1 km?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The large calibur sniper rifle that the Canadian's use is the bolt-action McMillian Tac-50 and not the semi-automatic Barret M82 that the U.S and other nations use. The standard ammunition used by the Tac-50 are AMAX Match .50 rounds.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well that was random....

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I wouldn't say that they would be useless, just uneffective. The effective range of a 5.56mm is probably 300 m but the round will travel much farther, just not with alot of accuracy.

hrxll

In Marine Boot camp alone the recruits qualify with targets at 500 meters with iron sites on the M16-A2. The accuracy was very good at 500 meters. If someone was really good with the M-16A2 they could hit someone at 800 meters.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
[edit on 4/8/04 by AlexofSkye]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well in the british army we were expected to hit targets on a 600 metre range using 5.56 and the pathetic sa80 small arms rifle. The only thing that causes a problem though is wind. even the lighest breeze at that range with such a small round throws it completely off course.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
In the battle field you are not going to hit something at 600-800 meters, its not going to happen. Most open battlefields you have all sorts of weapon systems that can hit that far it is not necessary for the individual solider to try and hit something in the desert 800 meters away with the M-16. In urban combat you are not even going to get a chance to hit something 800 meters away. It is good for soldiers to be able to hit targets that far but it is not necessary to design a new bullet for the rifles that can be accurate at those ranges IMHO.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I totally agree. I think that they used to make us try the 600 metre range and as a result it would make us a lot better on the 200-300 metre range thats the only way i can work it out also firing on such a range is a good learner for windage and aiming off although at 600 metres in moderate wind you had to aim about 6 targets off to even have a chance of hitting the target. I would say the average range on the battlefield for a soldier and his rifle would be approx 100-200 metres.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have M82 Sniper and I kill the target on 2.9 Km with one shoot on the Wind

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
the barrett light 50 call wud go right through a plane fusilage however u spell it then through a few bodys and cary on from that range!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kozzy

It was actually 2.4 kilometres
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join