It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Slows Light To A Crawl, Almost A Halt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well you learn something new everyday.
LOL
I'm a bad boy.

This is a another new application of using light as data in computers but now they slow it down to a crawl with sound.

They are able to do this at room temperature with common material
creating opto-acoustic Solitron waves in fiber optics.
so cool
I study this stuff for years with biophysics...its the same fundamental formula. Solitron waves are essential component of my fundamental model of consciousness and the fascial crystal array nanocomputer collagen model. The light emitted by the body is recordable (dr valerie hunt, UCLA) and critical to the information that the biofield uses as a carrier. Sound waves, acoustic waves in the body, light, cell to cell communication...
E = I

scientists hope to make a miniature sound-and-light show in fibers with the intention of producing not entertainment but ultrasensitive optical switches or the means of transporting bits in future all-optical computers.

The new scheme being developed by scientists at Ben-Gurion University and Tel Aviv University uses sound waves to help slow light nearly to a halt under conditions (ordinary materials at room temperature) more practicable than for most other slow-light experiments. Richard Tasgal ([email protected]) and his colleagues use as their medium a so-called Bragg grating fiber; the UV-sensitive core of a fiber is exposed through a mask to ultraviolet light.

Source Full Article Link

[edit on 25-5-2007 by junglelord]

[edit on 28-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Huh ?

Please explain for moorons like me who still believe the speed of light is much much greater than the speed of sound ?

Your post does not make it clear what is happening.

For example is this a way to harness the energy of light for travel in space say ?

Is it potentially a way to transmit mass by light waves or what ?

What is the significance of this discovery and how does it challenge current understanding of light speed ?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hi, I gave the link to the post.
I also posted 1/4 of the link information.
Its used for data in stead of electrical bits, its photon bits.
If computers are going to get into the quantum age they will be photon.

basic use is just a 1 and 0 (binary code) same as electric bits today are usually 5v and 0v
more advance use will be quantum superposition.
Thats a little more complicated but its both a 1 and a 0 at the same time

Honest

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
junglelord

I'm sure sy.gunson was asking for a laymans explanation for this "net effect" of slowing down light. Not a redirection to the original story.

Could you explain a little?

Is light slowing down? Or, is there a type of harmonic being created here?
Are light pulses are being turned into a type of standing wave, that is modulated by sound pressure?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
Hi, I gave the link to the post.
I also posted 1/4 of the link information.
Its used for data in stead of electrical bits, its photon bits.
If computers are going to get into the quantum age they will be photon.

basic use is just a 1 and 0 (binary code) same as electric bits today are usually 5v and 0v
more advance use will be quantum superposition.
Thats a little more complicated but its both a 1 and a 0 at the same time

Honest

It makes a lot more sense now with all the smileys and the LOL's ...

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
junglelord

I'm sure sy.gunson was asking for a laymans explanation for this "net effect" of slowing down light. Not a redirection to the original story.

Could you explain a little?

Is light slowing down? Or, is there a type of harmonic being created here?
Are light pulses are being turned into a type of standing wave, that is modulated by sound pressure?

yes light is slowed down...not sure what you want me to say.
he asked what is it used for, I explained.
I can only tell him what the scientist wrote...I cannot go into anything further then that.

They have frozen light in several ways, this is a new and much more simpler way without any need for cool temperature, etc.
the ability to hold a photon of light is the ability to manipulate it as data bits.

its really that simple.
Slowing light is not new, I just did not know that sound would also be incorporated in this novel approach. In the other approaches special gases were uses and lasers and so, this is clearly a huge step towards commercail applications

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
here is some of the orginal research concerning slowing light that I referred to with gas atoms and lasers

Slowed Light Handed Off

Several years ago, physicists gained the ability to slow a beam of light in a gas of atoms; by manipulating the atoms' spins the energy of and information contained in the light could be transferred to the atoms in a coherent way (see PNU 521). By turning on additional laser beams, the original light signal, which we can think of as having been idling or temporarily stored in the atom cloud, could be reconstituted and sent on its way.

Now, one of the first researchers to slow light, Lene Hau of Harvard, has added an extra layer to this story. She and her colleagues, halting and storing a light signal in a gas of cold atoms-in this case a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) of sodium atoms-then transfer the signal, now in the form of a coherent pulse of atom waves rather than light waves, into a second BEC of sodium atoms some 160 microns away, from which, finally, the signal is revived as a conventional light pulse.

This feat, the sharing around of quantum information in light-form and in not just one but two atom-forms, offers great encouragement to those who hope to develop quantum computers.

www.aip.org...

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My basic interest in all this is tied up in many disciplines and the main thrust of the technology is of course quantum computers.

My biophysics study is about the bodies own nanoquantum computers and its field array system.

I am talking about collagen fibers and the liquid crystal fascial system and this information is all releated as the way information will be propagated is through Solitron Waves in both systems, which I find interesting.

The body does emit light energy or biophotons and we are huge liquid crystal with millions of tiny nano quantum computers (collagen fibers) immeresed in that Liquid Crystal (fascia).

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
along with slow light we also have hypersound and the introduction of Nanophononics

its a important technological advancement in the shape of things to come, Quantum computers and new imaging devices and powerful lasers

Hypersound

Hypersound, acoustic pulsation at 200 gigahertz frequencies, has been produced in the same kind of resonant multilayered semiconductor cavity as used in photonics. Physicists at the Institute des Nanosciences de Paris (France) and the Centro Atomico Bariloche and Instituto Balseiro (Argentina) generate the high frequency sound pulses in a solid material made of thin gallium arsenide and aluminum arsenide layers. One can picture the sound, excited by a femtosecond laser, as being a short pulse of waves or equivalently as particle-like phonons, excitations pulsing through the stack of layers. These phonons are reflected at either end of the device, called a nanocavity, by further layers with a much different acoustic impedance acting as mirrors. Acoustic impedance is the acoustic analog of the refractive index for light.

Bernard Jusserand ([email protected], 33-1-4427-6980) says that he and his colleagues hope to reach the terahertz acoustic range. The wavelength for such "sound" is only nanometers in length. They believe that a new field, nanophononics, has been inaugurated, and that the acoustical properties of semiconductor nanodevices will become more prominent. THz phonons, and more specifically the reported nanocavities could, for example, be used to modulate the flow of charges or light at high frequency and in small spaces. THz sound might also participate in the development of powerful "acoustic lasers" or in novel forms of tomography for imaging the interior of opaque solids.

www.aip.org...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So light can be slowed down by sound waves.....indeed interesting. Especially for the applications it has in my own work.

Even light is no match for the unbridled power of sound.....

If light can be manipulated this way, it may also usher in a new age in fiber optical data transmission - perhaps with a outer guide of some metamaterial to refract the light inwards on itself to keep data transfer coherant; with a slower beam of sluggish light on its innards.

I think the internet is gonna have to be rethought....Im not paying 1000 bucks a months for faster service.

Great Find JungleLord

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
here is some interesting work on quantum computers and Qubits
I eagerly await the next transistion in technology, quantum computers, nanotechnology and Superposition.

A scalable quantum computer chip for atomic qubits has been built for the first time by researchers at the University of Michigan (Christopher Monroe, [email protected]), offering hopes for making a practical quantum computer using conventional semiconductor manufacturing technology.

Exploiting the strange rules of the atomic world, quantum computers could potentially break top-secret codes and perform certain kinds of searches much more quickly than conventional computers.

Unlike a conventional computer's bits, which can have values of either 0 or 1, a qubit can possess a value of 0 and 1 simultaneously, analogous to a light switch that's on and off at the same time.

top topics

join