It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art, the Shaman and a Quantum Physicist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There is no earlier or more important religious or spiritual concept in our (read human) history than that of the shaman. It has survived the passage of much more than 30,000 years in art; woven, daubed or carved on tools, clothing and rocks.

Of these early representations, the simplest and easiest to recognize are entoptics.

www.pd49.dial.pipex.com...

Entoptics are respresentations of phenomena called phosphenes and form constants, which every human being is able to easily 'see' by the simplest of methods. These images, when perceived, are then transferred into decorations. To understand where such designs come from is to enter into the 'kindergarten' of shamanism.

Phosphenes are not only seen in darkness but also in the absence of external visual stimuli; they are a hazard to the long-haul truck driver peering for hours into a snowstorm and airplane pilots often experience them, especially when flying alone at high altitudes where the sky is cloudless and empty of the usual depth cues (5). In the Nineteenth century Alessandro Volta (6) seems to have started modern investigation of phosphenes; shortly afterwards Bohemian Johannes Purkinje published a report on various abstract patterns as stripes and arches that were excitable either optically, mechanically or electrically.

-snip-

Form constants have been mapped extensively in the last century, principally by Klüver who defined four main types of constantly occurring visions as grating, filigree, cobwebs, tunnels and spirals (9) and by Max Knoll in the Fifties, who tested more than a thousand persons, provoking visions with electricity and identifying 15 categories of form constants as spirals, concentric circles, wave lines, grids, prisms, a repetition of points, stripes, triangles, organic outlines (10).

www.entopticart.com...

Tens of thousands of years ago, humans were interested enough in these strange images which only became evident by the removal of external stimulation. If we entered an area devoid of any light, we would see pinpricks, patches of color or geometric patterns which seemed to be full of motion. When we closed ourselves from any auditory sensation, something else would make itself heard.

Both of these can be termed as hallucinations.

When our distant ancestors began to place these designs on objects, it was the first instance of art and has carried itself completely through the millenia into the contemporary art which is produced today. Think 'OP art',(so entrenched in our minds with the hippie era and hallucinogens such as '___') Celtic art and Islamic art with it's complicated patterns. If you look at the symbols commonly used by corporations, you are able to easily make connections to the entoptic phenomena. The amazing thing is when you realize that we are just beginning to be aware of those connections. We are not so far seperated from those early visionaries, since we see entoptic designs in everything around us. Wallpaper, furniture 'filligree', the Chrysler, BMW or Mercedes logos. When artist are inclined to create something which does not exist in reality, they invariable fall upon those images perceived by the 'mind's eye'.

This is very important if we take the first step towards understanding the methods of the shaman. Here are some snippets gleaned by googling the terms 'entoptic, phosphene, or form constant:

As for the origins of art, this June, Cowan will participate in a conference on this topic in Montana. Geometric patterns are a common design element in cave paintings and prehistoric rock art. Some experts trace the prehistoric origins of art to hallucinogenic experiences. "A lot of the imagery is clearly related to what people report seeing when they take hallucinogens," Cowan said.

physical-sciences.uchicago.edu...

4.5 Synesthetic perceptions are durable and generic, never pictorial or elaborated. "Durable" means that the cross-sensory associations do not change over time. This has been shown many times by test-retest sessions given decades apart without warning. "Generic" means that while you or I might imagine a pastoral landscape while listening to Beethoven, what synesthetes experience is unelaborated: they see blobs, lines, spirals, and lattice shapes; feel smooth or rough textures; taste agreeable or disagreeable tastes such as salty, sweet, or metallic.

psyche.cs.monash.edu.au...

To exclude any optical inputs one must enter a totally dark room or wear a light-tight blindfold. However, once this is carried out, visual perception does not end; there is not an impression of total blackness. Once the eye has become adapted to the darkness, and particularly if one relaxes, the visual field lights up: wispy clouds and moving specks of light appear, generally in pastel shades of blue, green, orange and yellow. If one presses the eyes further, figures are evoked. These subjective images resulting from the self-illumination, as it were, of the visual sense are called phosphenes (from the Greek phos, light, and phainein, to show). Oster (1970:83) continues by stating that, because phosphenes originate within the eye and the brain, they are a perceptual phenomenon common to all mankind (past and present, one assumes), and they are extremely interesting from a psychological and aesthetic standpoint. Because their patterns must be intimately related to the geometry of the eye, the visual cortex, they provide a means of studying the exquisite functional organisation of the brain (Oster 1970:83).

www.oubliette.zetnet.co.uk...

Step two in coming to grips with what it means to be a shaman is to understand that all of the above mentioned phenomena have meaning. They are the stepping stones to your unconscious being, and, because of their universality indicate a 'collective unconscious' as well, since we all have the same generic hallucinations. Our brains not only are wired the same way across all of humankind, but that wiring seems to extend backwards into our most remote and distant past. We may have progressed in our understanding of the material world and used this knowledge to invent the technologies which are most exemplified in this computer you are now using, yet, underneath all this advancement is the current confusing and mystifying concept of Quantum Physics.

Quantum Physics, with its parallel universes, alternate realities, string theories and the seemingly arcane study of what matter truly is, coincides neatly with the concepts of shamanism. It appears, at least to me, that we are coming full circle.

Note - vid which was in this spot is now unavailable
-----------------------------------
Edited to replace defunct pic with link and delete vid

[edit on 17/12/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Very good post. These are things that I experience with some regularity. Little flashes of light here and there.. Sometimes they startle, sometimes they don't.

I actually think that it may be caused by the tearing of the dimensional fabric. As we approach that ever consuming date of December 21, 2012, I think this is something that will actually increase.

The star shafts on the Great pyramid also tell us about the next stage of initiation and spiritual unfoldment for the species. The fallen energies of Alpha Draconis, Ursa Major and Minor are descending on the north side of the pyramid. Their influence is waning, along with the fallen consciousness of Self-forgetting that has preoccupied humanity during all of recorded history and probably much further back.
Father energies are now on the midheaven, anchoring us to the higher or Father universes, the ultimate source of Self-remembrance. Sirius ascends to the focal point of planetary initiation, bringing in the principle of Cosmic Love, the hallmark of the Christ energy and consciousness focused by Christ Jesus. Could Sirius represent the third aspect of the Holy Trinity, the Son/Daughter, Vishnu or Christ Principle? Could this ancient monument in stone be telling us that the Second Coming is upon us, and that Cosmic Love, the core of the Christ Principle, as well as planetary Christ consciousness are the next steps for humanity?
Fabric Tear

[edit on 25-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Agreed on the 'startling' bit. At times, the effects can be surprising.

One of the foremost times that I felt 'immersed' in such hallucinations was during the first sweat lodge ceremony I ever went through.

After being plunged into total dakness and the ensuing waves of damp heat which got progressively hotter, the waves of colors which filled my vision became more and more pronounced.

The effects are easily produced, though, by simply pressing the palms of your hands on both your eyes. The colors and patterns which suddenly appear are similar to what I 'saw' when I was in the complete darkness of the sweatlodge.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'll comment ever-so-briefly(or at least attempt to keep it brief). Great post btw.

It seems apparent to me that modern science struggles to catch up with the wisdom of the ancients.

The Law of Causality, every cause has an effect was looked down upon until the great discovery of science "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Then again, there is also the ancient law detailing that everything exists as one, and yet "not as one".

Science scoffed this as mere quackery, until they discovered that at the level of energy everything, in fact, is connected.

There are still a number of other laws science has not yet confirmed.

Our modern understanding, in it's infancy grasps at the udnerstanding that was common knowledge in the ancient world. In a time when people were more in tune with nature, their inner selves, the collective unconcious, they just knew these things. Over time when mankind became more preoccupied with conflict, and that which exists outside of themselves, they began to forget all of the valuable knowledge that their ancestors once had.

Everytime science discovers something new, they think they're finally right, and have the answer. People swear by it. While new scientific beliefs may be more accurate than those previously held, they are not, in fact, the whole truth. They cannot accept that "savages" had a greater understanding of the world around them than modern PhD.'s

At this point, much of our firmly held scientific understanding are nothing but theory. However, as we are advancing, in some areas, we are begining to encroach upon the wisdom of the ancients. But it'll still be a long time before these new-fangled Professors learn how to apply the knowledge they're just tapping into.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I enjoyed the initial post; I used to play games with "phosphenes" as a child in my bedroom at night. I had a special word for them: "tin tins" (hey, I was a child!) - they seemed mysterious and special and I thought that no one else knew of them. I had some mysterious events happen to me shortly after these discoveries in that place and time; and I wonder if this "playing" somehow had something to do with this. I am intrigued by the notion that phosphenes is the initiatory step to shamanism; I wonder would you comment on what the next step might be?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Very interesting thread, thanks for this - I had never been aware of this phenomenon before.

It struck a chord with me because for the last 5 years I have been seeing these objects in my left eye, and they have been getting stronger, to the point where my left eye is just a constant display of movement and bright shapes. I've been having my eyes tested regularly, and doctors and opticians cannot find any reason for what is causing this. They don't even seem to know what I'm talking about. I've described it to them as lava lamps, fireworks, and like when the sun goes into a total eclipse - a dark centre with brilliant 'fire' around it. They just thought initially I was describing 'floaters' but I know the difference because I've also had them for years, and they are nothing like this. I've been referred to an eye hospital to see if they can find anything that might be causing this (my sight in that eye is getting very poor)

After reading through this post I did a search and found these images:

The 2 at the top of the page are just like what I see. Perhaps there is some connection, and I will definitely do some more research. Strangely enough I have recently been drawn to shamanism and have taken steps to join a local group that practise shamanic healing. Perhaps I am more likely to find out there, rather than with doctors or opticians, what they are and, based on the original post here, find out if they have meaning.

Thanks again

Nebankh

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I've done the pressing of the eyes before. Is that even healthy? If you press the eyes in the dark you can see awesome colors and patterns but it hurts after a while. I have them some times while sleeping or meditating. They were even crazier when I smoked pot.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thanks to all for 'jumping in' on this topic. I'm not sure how the discussion will turn out, but, from the outset, I should mention that it is something I'm deeply interested in and determined to understand over the long-term. The last thing I would try to propose is that I have any answers for anyone. All I can do is try to place what I know beside what others may bring to this thread and, by comparison, perhaps we can all learn something.

Nebankh

The object you are seeing in your left eye... is it the left field of vision or particularly the left eye alone? Secondly, is this vision superimposed over top of your regular vision? To find out if it is only your left eye, block the vision of each eye by holding your hand in front of each. If your right eye sees nothing to the left, then I would think something is putting pressure on your left eyeball, perhaps.

I ask because I occasionally have a scotoma (an area of vision which is occulted by a shape) as well. These objects obscure regular vision and are not exactly the same as entoptics although they may be slightly similar.

I'll describe mine; it is what is known as a catenary curve or 'boat-like structure' which grows in size until it makes reading impossible. They occur when I am overly tired, last 15-20 minutes and are known to be a precurser to migraines (which, incidentally, I rarely suffer from but my mother did).

The shape you describe is a complete circle, which is a common entoptic. Whenever I am concentrating on these visual effects, a glowing band of color grows from a central point which remains dark, much as your description suggests.

On joining a group for shamanic practices, I would caution you to resist anything which involves fees. Shamanism is rising in popularity and the resultant crop of shysters is growing. There is a large amount of good information freely available on-line which is the best place to start. After becoming familiar with the topic, there are also a lot of good books coming out these days. One I regularly advise people to read is The Mind in the Cave by David Lewis-Williams. Once aware of what a being a shaman means, finding one will be much easier, although all s/he can do to teach you will be by way of changing your perceptions and then letting you go. I was lucky enough to meet a true shaman. He taught me a great deal, not by words so much as by his actions and it didn't take more than one evening. Life, for me, changed completely after that night.

Understanding the shamanic 'way' is a personal journey and is mostly 'self-taught'. It has more to do with changing your opinion about what is real and what is not than anything else. Once you are able to understand that reality is the dream and the dream reality, you begin to understand how the mind rules over matter. Question everything which you consider to be rock solid reality by delving deeper into the most advanced sciences you can find. Consider how it is possible that the chair you are sitting on right now can support you when you know that the spaces between electrons and protons is so vast... surely you should be sinking into it much like the poor sailors in the story of the Philadelphia Experiment... winding up becoming part of the decking.

liquidself the next step is to become so familiar with those visions that they begin to make some sense in relation to your frame of mind. A color which dominates when you are in a state of anxiety will be different than when you are calm, for instance. I like the name "tin tins" because it seems you have already accepted these phenomena as a part of 'life' and not some obscure bit of neurological effect.

If you ever try meditation, then the "tins tins" are what to concentrate on... no speck on the wall, no candle flame nor any imaginary spot in empty space is quite as interesting as the perpetual display of spirals, grid patterns, waves of color or tiny pin pricks of light that entoptics provide.

Consider them as a part of your personal reality and not figments of the imagination. Instead, accept them as the way your unconscious mind is able to communicate with your conscious mind. The language may be unfamiliar and the messages unclear but on another level, they do pass information.

TheGreySwordsman I've read some of the posts you've made elsewhere and I'm glad you've decided to enter into this discussion.

You speak of the Law of Causality which I firmly believe in. 'What goes around, comes around'is the most recognizable aspect of it and it is so true. We project... it's as simple as that. It can be long-term or it can be instantaneous. For example, try this on for size... during the course of a single day, do not allow anything to sway you from being friendly, helpful, encouraging or happy. As you go through that day, watch the reactions you get as you project that positive attitude. I've done this as an experiment quite a while ago and found out that it is like a flu... you spread it around like a virus. Some days I forget, grouse about something negative, walk around all gloomy and that also has the same, if opposite, effect.

All our lives we reflect that which surrounds us or we affect that which surrounds us by our attitude.

In regards to science, I'm more and more convinced that, even though the knowledge of the distant past was ridiculed by 400 years of 'hard' research, the new scientists are seeing something 'old' in the 'new'. Particle accelerators, their findings and 'far out' theories attempting an explanation for what they are seeing are fast catching the minds of the general public.

Good Vibrations is no longer just a Beach Boys song but now carries with it indicators to the very foundation of the material universe.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
I've done the pressing of the eyes before. Is that even healthy?

It's actually harmless unless you pop an eyeball. It's not more pressure but a varying the placement of light pressure which can produce the most effective displays.

The practice is for those who have no idea what we're talking about. After becoming aware of those patterns, all we need do is close our eyes and the shapes will appear.

If you press the eyes in the dark you can see awesome colors and patterns but it hurts after a while.

Exactly... release the pressure and it becomes more pronounced. If it hurts, then you are pressing too hard. It's just not neccesary.

I have them some times while sleeping or meditating.

That's what I prefer. The old palms to the eyeballs was fun at first but totally not needed now.

grammar edit

[edit on 25/5/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

You speak of the Law of Causality which I firmly believe in. 'What goes around, comes around'is the most recognizable aspect of it and it is so true. We project... it's as simple as that. It can be long-term or it can be instantaneous. For example, try this on for size... during the course of a single day, do not allow anything to sway you from being friendly, helpful, encouraging or happy. As you go through that day, watch the reactions you get as you project that positive attitude. I've done this as an experiment quite a while ago and found out that it is like a flu... you spread it around like a virus. Some days I forget, grouse about something negative, walk around all gloomy and that also has the same, if opposite, effect.

All our lives we reflect that which surrounds us or we affect that which surrounds us by our attitude.

I have certainly tried this experiment but have lost the way, there was a few days were I was open, happy, friendly. It was odd because those around me (work retail, so I meet a lot of people) showed the same 'light'. I cannot describe it, I guess we do create our day and reality. On the days that I'm stressed and angry, it seemed as if others projected those emotions too. Masqua, when you meditate, do you will the light patterns? Is it something I should just focus on and it will appear?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I can't remember a time when I didn't see varying light patterns, like those described. I won't hazard a guess as to the cause or reason, it's been eleborated on by people in this thread who've considered it to a far greater depth than I have.

masqua, as far as that experiment, everytime I've done it, I've had great success. This also comes back to the law of correlation aka as above so below, as within, so without. I really wish more people would regularly practice this behavior.

AMANNAMEDQUEST, while I cannot speak for masqua, I would say from my experience that when you're forcing ANYTHING especially in meditation, you are looking at it all wrong. If it's something that will appear, it will appear. Beyond meditation on pretties, I would concentrate on reflection of virtue, or contemplate some concept you'd like to deepen your understanding on. If you are to see light patterns, they will come to you at some point.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
When I meditate, which is often and mainly in short sessions, I begin by focussing on the phosphene displays. I've come to recognize the different shapes and colors as indications of my personal state of mind and try to produce slow fields of color washing across my view from right to left.

The phenomena are a means to a calm state because the focus is on inner vision and not the disjointed collection of memories related to my conscious daily activities, past or present.

This might deviate somewhat from the topic, but imo, meditation is the clearing out of those memories and the noisy reflections we naturally make on them. Once my mind isn't jabbering like a crazed monkey thinking 'what if?' or 'I should have', then it allows the other (right) side of my brain to filter in some 'new' suggestions.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I understand. Thanks for the great thread. So what once was ridiculed as magic and superstition of the shamans are being looked at seriously by modern quantum physicist. I agree with Fred Allan Wolf's explanation on drug addicts, because I was once heavy into drugs to experience something spiritual that I was missing.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Awesome thread Masqua

Rythmic drumming is also a great portal into shamanic states of mind. Drumming can take you places/states of mind meditation alone can not.

I have a good friend who is a practicing Shaman, in leading people through a self healing process via drumming. She also talks about how the drumming takes her O.O.B.E
I keep asking her to take me on one of these drum trips.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes. Especially the theory that there are multiple dimensions like layers upon the three we 'know' and time as a vague fourth. Those extra dimensions (now tentatively around 11) are tantalizing hints of what reality truly consists of. That certain individuals throughout the human experience have isolated themselves in darkness, fasted or even worked themselves into a trance through dancing, drumming or chanting is evidence that there is something universal to which they aspire.

As Mr Wolf described in the film, the mythos, or spiritual realm has long been seperated from what we commonly perceived as reality. Quantum physics and the strange speculations with which the subject is peppered is closing that chasm.

First will come the popular enlightenment as the film 'What the *bleep* do We Know has shown us. Then, with the growing interest, will come eventual acceptance. And, finally, with acceptance, hopefully will grow knowledge. It is the closest the scientific community has come to understanding God and Deity.

The best advice I could possibly give anyone is to go camping. It's something that's hard at first because it is all so 'unfamiliar' and unlike our normally comfortable situations. We need to cook our food, provide fire, shelter and lose our fear of the darkness beyond the firelight.

The experience can alter the way you look at life if you successfully learn how to cope. Slowly, over several summers, you begin to find your true place on this earth and you'll laugh when the raccoons try to steal your food. Nature is cruel, no doubt, but she also nurtures.

On drugs... while it is almost impossible to seperate discussion of the effects of certain substances from this topic, I would still prefer to leave it alone myself. I am fully aware of salvia, peyote, ayahuasca, psylocibin, '___', etc. and have read quite a bit on those subjects, but I am convinced that these are not the only way to become aware of the spirit world. Native Americans, for instance, prefer to put stressors on the body to encourage visions much like the biblical Christ did in the desert.

If you've ever experienced a 'runners high', then you know how easily extreme exertion can produce visions.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As far as Phosphenes and Entoptics go, I remember one night staring into them so long that I would get glimpses of the living room (my eyes are closed remind you), and other scenes or places.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Good thread and a very interesting read.

However there is one thing that I may have missed in here.

Alot of times I have had similar shapes appear in my eyes, with multiple colors. However I just always assumed that it was the rods/cones in my eyes "resetting" themselves or the like. It always happens when I am sitting down and not really doing anything, or when my blood sugar is low. I also just assumed that my brain was just recognizing patterns when there really wasn't anything of significance.

But they appear identical to how my eyes see them/brain percieves them when I just apply pressure to my eyeball. Isn't this again just a change in the rods/cones in the eye?

I'm not saying the OP's info is totally false, I'm just wondering if some of it could have a more mundane explanation in my case.

[edit on 5/25/2007 by Fiverz]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Awesome thread Masqua

Rythmic drumming is also a great portal into shamanic states of mind. Drumming can take you places/states of mind meditation alone can not.

I have a good friend who is a practicing Shaman, in leading people through a self healing process via drumming. She also talks about how the drumming takes her O.O.B.E
I keep asking her to take me on one of these drum trips.

Agreed...drumming is so simple, yet so amazing. The single, rapid drumbeat used in Indian ceremonies
will take a person into a relaxed theta state in minutes. Then you begin to hear all the "spaces"
between drumbeats and you perceive different rhythms within the beats. You feel connected. It's the coolest.

This site has a free Mp3 of a GREAT shamanic drumbeat.
www.shamanismcanada.com...

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Native Americans, for instance, prefer to put stressors on the body to encourage visions much like the biblical Christ did in the desert.

If you've ever experienced a 'runners high', then you know how easily extreme exertion can produce visions.

Masqua, excellent post.

I want to reply to this section of your writings and revelations because I am finding that this is where my creativity and drive is funneled from.

I had a very stress full upbringing, I mean absolutely horrendous ([absolutely+horrendous, would that be abhorrent?
] and I'm not about to go in to detail) and then at times it was euphorically joy full. This has left me in a constant state of meditation/stress/confusion and thought. My brain never shuts off whether I am thinking about unraveling the universe or why my parents and family treated me the way they did and why they are the way they are. For a while I tried ganja and it intensified every thing, but since I've stopped for more than a year now I've realized that the stress of my life alone is enough to help me concentrate. The utter confusion and abuse that I went through has caused me to go in to a deep trance in what ever it is I may be doing. I can 100% focus and operate at extremely high speeds. I've been figuring out how and why I can do this and I have ratiocinated that it is to keep my mind off of thinking about my past. I can lift an extreme amount of weight for my body size and run very long distances at a vigorous pace. It is almost as if I have a consistent state of an obsessive compulsive personality, only I can focus it however and whenever I desire. I must have this personality so that the illogical treatment bestowed upon me in my past does not constantly eat me up. While implementing this technique that has really become who I am and in a sense who I always was, I feel amazing, I feel weightless, my brain feels as if it is being massaged, and I feel untouchable and omniscient.

Super thread
I've been sick with boredom around here lately and this certainly cured it. Thanks, it was easy going down as liquid mental stimulation

[edit on 26-5-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
in competely new at this, in fact the reason i got an account is so i can post on this. I think i have experanced this before. A few days ago i was putting out some inscense in my room, i felt like somehting zipped behind the back of my head, this was acomponyed by a sound of almost something hitting the wall, and a strange tingle inside the back of my head. And several other times, i have seen a bright flash in my room, with a loud snap (almost like a disposible camera when the flash goes off) Are these them same thing or something competely different? If not what is it?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join