It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The fact is that this man wanted to die, so it almost sounds like suicide by execution.

As fragile as the human body is I'm sure we can come up with a way to terminate a life instantly, even if it involves strapping them to a metal slab and dropping a 1,000 lb weight on their head so that the skull is totally crushed.

My biggest complaint about executions is the number of years they spend in prison before the sentence is carried out. It's not cheep to keep a person in prison year after year, and we're the ones paying for that.

But I guess dead is dead, there was no way he was leaving that room still breathing.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You know what is funny about this? The fact that people here say things like "Who cares, he was just a criminal!" "Shoot him down!" "I'll do it my self!" etc...etc...

Those statements are so hypocritical because whether it is done directly or not, we all contribute to some form of crime against another human. Like it or not, that is how it is. Think about it. Some contribute more than others of course, but we are all guilty of it. You and I have helped to kill starving, struggling families around the world and we never even had a say in it. Were all riding the same handbasket...and it is a long hard road out of there.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by souls]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls
You know what is funny about this? The fact that people here say things like "Who cares, he was just a criminal!" "Shoot him down!" "I'll do it my self!" etc...etc...

Those statements are so hypocritical because whether it is done directly or not, we all contribute to some form of crime against another human.

I think it's probably more ironic than hypocritical. Yes, in order for any of us to live, many other people and scads of other living creatures, including plants and animals, have to die, and often very unpleasantly. Every person who has a "Support Our Troops" sticker on their car is essentially condoning putting another human being in the path of death in order to defend and preserve some abstract notion like "freedom" or "democracy."

Death is funny like that. If you think about it, it really creates a huge number of ironies and paradoxes.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
Who has decided a firing squad is cruel and unusual,some peace loving hippie.

no, state supreme courts have. it became quite apparent when a large number of firing squad deaths were caused by injuries to the abdomen instead of the heart or head.

I find it more cruel for chilfren who grow up missing a loved one because of some prick who had no respect for the most basic of laws. Eye for an eye people.

an eye for an eye? so this nation is going to shun the constitution and follow the bablyonian code of hammurabi now?

by killing the killer we lower ourselves to his level, we waste millions of dollars, and we take a life that could spend the remainder of their years in jail at least doing something productive.

a life sentence is by far a more rational alternative

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Oops wrong account.

I was logged with my girlfriends account by accident.

LGM

[edit on 26-5-2007 by WalkInSilence]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
The fact is that this man wanted to die, so it almost sounds like suicide by execution.

That is exactly one of the things that gets to me, he wanted to die, his first crime and the reason he was in jail was because he burglarized his fathers' home, not murder here.

Then it seems that He had a death wish, so he went around and killed a fellow inmate.

Ok, he while free didn't kill anybody, but then he just killed somebody that perhaps was also a criminal?

Don't get it, then the way in which was describe his hours before death as happy and making jokes?

I think this man needed mental help no the death penalty.

Since when we are to continue ignoring signs of mental problems because death is better.

The family is poor they didn't even had money to pay for the burial that means that he lacked the necessary help that he needed.

Something doesn't add, and the only reason we know about his case is because after two hours and ten tries he was still alive.

The death penalty by lethal injection is supposed too be merciful killing but not when it takes two hours and ten tries.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by marg6043]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The death penalty by lethal injection is supposed too be merciful killing but not when it takes two hours and ten tries.

IV starts are not comfortable to many but hardly cruel and unusual. That actually may be a novel defence. Im too much of a junkie so if you cannot abtain vascular access in 2 tries or less you cannot execute me.

I think this is really a tempest in a teapot IMHO. Its no worst that a shot at a doctors office. Or if you have a sick kid in a hospital they may be subjected to that many tries without the drug scabbed veins.

Im going to toot my own horn here. I have mad IV skills. I place IV's in kids and babies at least 10-20 times a week. When I am not transporting, im down in the ED or at a code putting one in. I do not always get it on the first, second, or even third try. Its hard, its not an exact science. The NICU transport specialits have even better skills than I do and even they would agree its a skill and LUCK issue.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
FredT I agree with you and understand the problems with vein I am in the group of person having difficult veins, but what it bothers me is the circunstances surrounding this man death and the reason we found out about him is because he made head lines news.

I know, I know he is death he killied somebody and is over, but it bothers me.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I believe it's thought that even with a clean beheading, the disembodied head of the person will still have a few moments of consciousness and feel pain and feel like, well, just a head falling down.

yeah i read about that in a book called "Stiff" By Mary Roach (really an awesome book describing what happens to peple who donate their bodies to science and different options rather than just creamation or burial!) anyway some french professers observed a head when it got sliced from a guillotine! dude! so like they used a prisoner and noted that when they called out his name he opened his eyes and looked right at them! he could hear them and still made the brain eye function of looking at them crazy!!!

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
no, state supreme courts have. it became quite apparent when a large number of firing squad deaths were caused by injuries to the abdomen instead of the heart or head.

So if the excution was video taped by a law enforcement agency and reviewd to ensure there was no inhumane teatment, whats the problem? Maybe the courts should have changed the program instead of stopping it.

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
by killing the killer we lower ourselves to his level, we waste millions of dollars, and we take a life that could spend the remainder of their years in jail at least doing something productive.

I'm guessing you've never had a close loved one murdered? No fault of yours of coarse(wouldn't wish it on anyone). Experiencing such a thing might make you believe in a eye for an eye, especially when the piece of human trash shows no remorse at all and actually laughs at the grieving family.

There is no such thing as lowering oneself to the level of a murderer for sentencing said person to death for committing the worst of crimes,a crime that every none mentally challenged person KNOWS IS WRONG.

NO EXCUSES!

And personally IMO the lose of the death penalty has been the cause of significant moral decay in society. People can kill someone but still live their lives out in prision eating three squares a day,watching tv,and playing in the yard. Does this sound like sufficient punishment for a murderer? Becuase it sounds like boarding school to me.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by FreeSpeaker]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join