It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Behemoth, Leviathan, Ziz

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Anyone have any theories on these creatures?

For those that don't know, they are 3 legendary creatures found in the bible and related literature.

Behemoth=the biggest animal of the land
Leviathan= Largest beast of the sea
Ziz= huge bird with eggs the size of mountains

After the end of days, God is supposed to kill these creatures, and serve them up to everyone as part of a feast after the great battle.

I personally do not believe it, however I find it to be an interesting tale. Any interpretations for what these animals may be, or what they could symbolically mean if not meant literally?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
My personal view is:

Behemoth = elephant or hippo
Leviathan = whale
Ziz = ostrich or emu

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
They sound like mythical creatures
Try these links (This my first time putting links into anything so if it doesn't come out right sorry!)

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Not much on Ziz

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't know too much about these, except for the Leviathan. What makes you ask? If you want some possible answers, go to the thread below yours. You might find some answers there.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by bobbyboy]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well, the Ziz could refer to the Thunderbird, or the giant condors of South & Native American legend.

The Leviathan might refer to a giant squid.

Behemoth, hmmmmm....could be an elephant or a very large bear (or even a giant gorilla), I guess.

Of course, it's totally possible that these three are unique mystical animals.

Or...they could just be allegories to describe something of deeper meaning.

Who really knows?
Good questions to ask though.

[edit on 5/31/2007 by wu kung]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i agree with wu kung. most of these tales are embellished beyond all sensibility, so whether you believe they had a basis in fact or were entirely fabricated, chances are their meaning is completely distorted now thanks to thousands of years of rewriting and retranslating.
as with all animals mentioned in the bible (there is a similar post on the subject of dragons in the bible on ats) different bible versions describe the same animals using different names.
i'm sorry i can't be more helpful!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Try the library for the book "Gods of Eden" by Andrew Collins.

A bit of a stretch to believe, but an interesting read. He gets into
discussing these beings toward the end.

Enjoy,
Lex

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My view on this is...

Behemoth: Hippo/Elephant
Leviathan: Whale/Giant squid
Ziz: Possibly the extinct Elephant Bird, which died out about 300 years ago, or possibly one of several species of vulture or condor.

Concerning Leviathans, some theorise that creatures like the Leviathan and other sea serpents could in fact be attributed to giant squid lifting their tentacles out of the water (a behaviour seen in smaller squid near the surface). The shape from a distance would look like a long neck being lifted up and then diving.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just started the thread to see if anyone had some speculation about these creatures. I don't think they have any basis in fact whatsoever. However if someone had some different theories about these creatures, it'd break up the usual bigfoot/nessie/chupacabra/goatman threads. I was pretty positive no one ever mentioned these legendary beasts. I actually forgot about the thread, it got more attention than I expected. heh.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just started the thread to see if anyone had some speculation about these creatures. I don't think they have any basis in fact whatsoever. However if someone had some different theories about these creatures, it'd break up the usual bigfoot/nessie/chupacabra/goatman threads. I was pretty positive no one ever mentioned these legendary beasts. I actually forgot about the thread, it got more attention than I expected. heh.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
....coming in a bit late. here's a thought you may not have considered: these are creatures of three of the four elements- leviathan/water, behemoth/earth, ziz/air; so where is the fourth-fire?? many theologions(sp?) consider yahweh to be a FIRE deity, who was depicted well into the hellenistic period as a serpent. (refer to exodus where moses is commanded by yahweh to raise a bronze serpent on a column to cure the hebrews of the snake bites afflicting them, the bronze serpent is mentioned throughout the OT to the books of the prophets where it is finally declared a pagan idol and destroyed. one may also refer to joseph campbell's occidental mythology. snake venom is often described as FIRE in the veins). so with yahweh we now have all four elements of creation in play. is it possible that at some point in the distant past there was four sects of hebrew belief with one eventually winning the population?? or could this be a veiled reference to early alchemy??? just a thought or two... thanks for listening.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Leviathan might be related to the Bloop.

It also sounds like a line up for Kaiju from a Godzilla movie

Seriously though there seem to be similar creatures in other cultures.
The Seven Headed Naga King sounds alot like Leviathan. There are Dragon Kings that live in the Sea in Japanese and Chinese myth. Norse and Greek myth have similar creatures to Leviathan.

Ziz sounds alot like the Simurgh from Persia and the Garuda from Buddhism/Hinduism.

Behemoth sounds like Bahamut and the Tarasque. There is also a similar creature from Persia. The sound of it reminds me of the word Mammoth. It also reminds me Glyptodons but I think those are only from the Americas.

All of them sound like potentially exitinct Megafauna.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Actually, the Leviathan is supposed to be associated with Satan.
Then again, isn't everything in Christianity?
I always pictured it as some kind of serpent. But I don't know what I would really be. I don't believe any of them exist though

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShowNoMercy502
Actually, the Leviathan is supposed to be associated with Satan.
Then again, isn't everything in Christianity?
I always pictured it as some kind of serpent. But I don't know what I would really be. I don't believe any of them exist though

Biblically speaking I dont see any association between Satan and Leviathan. Satan and Leviathan are both in the Book of Job and no connection is ever made between the two.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
Well, the Ziz could refer to the Thunderbird, or the giant condors of South & Native American legend.
[edit on 5/31/2007 by wu kung]

Thunderbirds and teratorns were likely the same birds. The stories were just passed down from the age of the megafauna. I agree that Ziz was probably a teratorn of some kind. Perhaps Argentavis magnificens? I can't find a larger bird, heavier, but not "bigger". I'm betting all three of these "creatures" were megafauna.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreySwordsman

the bible has several hidden mysteries, and metaphors are no exception. leviathan could very well be representing a corrupt government, being associated with satan. behemoth(a mighty horned beast whose roar alone shakes the earth) is the opposing force, so it could also represent an army. the battle between them could be a metaphor for war, with ziz( the winged creature in jewish mythology that protects all winged creatures) present. (henceforth the NAVY, the ARMY, and the AIRFORCE). In the bible it says God will come and slay these beasts, and feed them, along with ziz, to the remaining SURVIVORS. Survivors? how big IS this battle? By the way, this battle is also said to take place in the end of the world....my personal belief is, theres gonna be a war, a BIG war....i think that new movie is based on this. "cloverfield" i think

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Ive heard of Cloverfield, thats nothing to do with these creatures, even though theres been alot of rumours.

Ive always thought that there was one element missing from the myth.

Behemoth - Earth
Leviathan - Water
Ziz - Air
Dragon - Fire

the 4 elements, but I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Opulisum
Ive heard of Cloverfield, thats nothing to do with these creatures, even though theres been alot of rumours.

Ive always thought that there was one element missing from the myth.

Behemoth - Earth
Leviathan - Water
Ziz - Air
Dragon - Fire

the 4 elements, but I could be wrong.

Well the Hebrews didnt use the Greek elemental system so I dont think it applies. Technically Leviathan is a dragon. He is lord over all the Tannim which are often translated as Dragons. There is an association between the Tannim and Nahash of Eden, reminds of the Drakon Ladon from the Garden of Hesperides.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

The text from the Book of Job 40 (King James Version Bible) is as follows:

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his thighs are wrapped together.
18 His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron.
19 He [is] the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach [unto him].
20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
22 The shady trees cover him [with] their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.
23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, [and] hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24 He taketh it with his eyes: [his] nose pierceth through snares.

en.wikipedia.org...

When I read the above, the description sound to me like some type of saurapod dinosaur. Especially the "He moveth his tail like a cedar" part. Of course, conventional wisdom tells us that this isn't possible as dinos and people didn't coexist... but still the description sounds like a dinosaur especially considering that elephants, rhinos and hippos don't have large tails that they could move like cedars. (Unless you count an elephant's trunk, but I would think that writers would be able to distinguish an elephant's tail from it's trunk)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join