It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cordyceps Fungus - Natures Scariest Secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Cordyceps Fungus - Natures Scariest Secret

This is one horrible way to die,

The video talks about any one species becoming too numerous... could this apply to humans is the near future?

Wiki:
en.wikipedia.org...

Cordyceps is a genus of ascomycete fungi that includes about 300 species. The species that parasitizes the vegetable caterpillar — Cordyceps sinensis is the most famous of these, having long been considered a precious ingredient in Chinese traditional medicines.

Now I can't recall the Novel but I remember that is describes a possible future after a nuclear war ... plants adapted to cleanse the soil thus making the plants highly poisonous and it used the insects to spread itself. Thus creating a huge Toxic forest where insects adapted and took over the Earth.

I believe the novel's name is Nausica

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Very cool(and yes the novel you are thinking of is Nausicaa, written by Hayao Miazaki). However I think this stuff only attacks insects. It sure would suck if they adapted to humans though, although it's generally hard for fungus to infect people, seeing as how we bathe and whatnot.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
very fascinating. it's just a matter of scale i suppose.
-- metering on the creepy scale for sure.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

although it's generally hard for fungus to infect people, seeing as how we bathe and whatnot.

Remind me to boil my veges... No more salads

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex

The video talks about any one species becoming too numerous... could this apply to humans is the near future?

I'd think that if it were to happen it would have happened by now. That comment was just regarding that eco-system.
I do believe that it will be the "bugs" that get us in the end though.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   

That comment was just regarding that eco-system

question not comment

but I do share the same outcome about insects....

[edit on 5/27/2007 by a1ex]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
It sure would suck if they adapted to humans though, although it's generally hard for fungus to infect people, seeing as how we bathe and whatnot.

They may be able to genitically modify one of the varieties, mix it up with toe fungus or warts or something - Mabey VD, imagine that poping out of your neather regions!!

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

It sure would suck if they adapted to humans though, although it's generally hard for fungus to infect people, seeing as how we bathe and whatnot.

They may be able to genitically modify one of the varieties, mix it up with toe fungus or warts or something - Mabey VD, imagine that poping out of your neather regions!!

That's not funny, it's terrifying.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Now_Then

That's not funny, it's terrifying.

I second that, I wouldn't like a stem with spores coming out of my neather regions.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Actually mankind has become pretty efficiant at killing fungus. A spray for athletes foot, a spray for crotch rot etc etc etc....

I throw my vote in with the above poster, it won't be a fungus that gets us, it will be a virus.

my .02

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Actually mankind has become pretty efficiant at killing fungus. A spray for athletes foot, a spray for crotch rot etc etc etc....

Agreed.

Humans show a remarkable adaptation to fungi that can infest any region of our body. We know currently the poisons which to kill the fungi while leaving our bodies relatively unharmed.

The scary part for me is what antibiotics are prescribed that aren't necessary, and when do these "super-bugs" start going full scale? Remember, we already have VRSA going around infrequently, and that is by itself horrific. Fungi scare me not nearly as much as the bacteria that we encounter on a daily basis.

[edit on 5/28/07 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
that fungi is rather unnerving, especially since it infects the brain. who knows... maybe one day there will be an epidemic of such fungi? wouldn't that be a site to see

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
so, i think this can infect humans, and i think i am infected.
i have been dealing with nanobugs, specifically collembola
infested me and my family and pets; house, for three months.

we moved and are still infested/infected.

after seeing this video on planet earth, i was shocked at the fact
that one of those neon yellow funguses grew in our plant this summer.

and we lived in a place which i believe had mold, and was very humid.

long story short, what i think happened was, some insect, maybe a flea or spider
or even gnat, became infected with the fungus and bit us-
leaving a trace of the fungus in our systems- and due to breathing in mold for 5-6 months, our immune systems could not overtake it

and now the nano bugs love us.

we definately have brain fog and - WOW.

we are going to fight this off and be ok, but it is scary, and i believe it IS possible
to be infected.

jus saying.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a gentle, spore carrying breeze.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Bump.
I was going to start a thread about this... did an ATS search and here it is... what is odd that i see no flags and no stars on any of the posts in this thread... i can't believe this didn't one star or one flag....

Fascinating video,.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Blast from the past. Cordyceps fungus thread reunion! Why, it's a year or so since I thought about such a thing, but it's just as relevant now. Cordyceps in human form, now that'd be a game changer. It wipes out entire hives of organisms. What happens when the hive stretches all across the earth? If folks caught it, and jumped a plane across the world...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Blast from the past. Cordyceps fungus thread reunion! Why, it's a year or so since I thought about such a thing, but it's just as relevant now. Cordyceps in human form, now that'd be a game changer. It wipes out entire hives of organisms. What happens when the hive stretches all across the earth? If folks caught it, and jumped a plane across the world...

It's so weirdly freaky and relevant to a whole load of stuff that I can't fathom why more people don't dig this thread!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That is truly the most horrific thing imaginable!

If someone made a horror film about such a thing infecting humans I definately would NOT go and see it. Yuck!

Much as I revere Mother Nature that is one of her least wonderful ideas. I mean why? What purpose does it serve apart from controlling insect numbers? What could she come up with for us?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There are 1.5m types of pathogenic fungi and less than 200 effect humans and only a handfull are fatal. Fungi is easily treated in humans and does not adapt like bacteria or viruses. If the human race is going to be killed off by a pathogen it will almost certainly be a virus or bacterial infection, well unless we find an alternative to antibiotics. MRSA being a prime example of antibiotic resistant disease which we currently have no cure for.

top topics

join