It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIracle cure for stuffy nose!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Last night, at the dance club (Thanks Gryffen and Sabot! *waves*), among the drama, my head felt like a block of mucus. Like a ozzy block of Gorau Glas.

My mom had the brilliant suggestion of this little trick:

1. Take a pinch of salt and put in a teaspon.
2. Fill it up with water.
3. Pour the salt solution into a cup and swirl it around so that the salt gets mixed up.
4. Pour the solution back into the teaspoon

- now here's the hard part -

5. Bend over to the teaspoon and snort the water up your nose, and keep on snorting until it comes down the roof of your mouth.

Do this over a sink because your mucus is going to come out like a broken dam. It may not happen immeadiately (give it a minute or so). I had to do it twice because it didn't seem to work for one side of my nose.

Apparently what happens is that the salt kills the infection in your sinuses, which causes the mucus. This is interesting because I thought your body just "made" mucus. But it makes sense because you get infected in the back of your throat ... which is very close to your sinues (via the roof of your mouth). The salt solution will kill anything nasty living in there.

hope this helps someone
It takes some guts to snort salt water up your nose and out the roof of your mouth, but its well worth it.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'd usually just blow my nose underwater in the tub, and then shower off...works pretty damned well for a while....

Rather than snort salt water, another thing you can do is boil salt water, then hold your head over the pot (just keep your eyes shut tight....)

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Salt water, or Saline will work for sure. However, that can be a little more work than you want to go through for a plugged nose. If it's a real bad one, like from being sick, you may have to however.

The alternative, as already mentioned, is the shower technique. You may find it gross but I assure you it works like a charm! Take a nice hot shower and it will loosen up all that crap in your head. At that piont just plug one side and blow that gunk right out of your head. Clean up is easy as you're in the shower. FYI, if you don't have time for a shower, and your sinuses aren't totally compacted you can use the sink, just be careful to take aim or you may end up wearing a big glob of boogs and snot on you shirt!!

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I found the shower technique nice but not very long lasting. I cleared my left nostrol and it's been clear since. But i guess your milege may vary.

new topics

top topics

join