It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth Behind Facebook?? Privacy At Risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Has anyone here got a facebook account...if so you might be interested in this..

A very interesting clip on the popular website Facebook. Includes who has money in it, its origins(including US government offices) and their privacy policies and terms of agreement which state they can use and profit from any of the information you post on the site

www.idkwtf.com...

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Interesting watch. I'd say good thing my facebook is quite vague, but I'd doubt that would matter much. Better not post my top secret conspiracies on my account after all!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah interesting, but i've allways known in my own mind that these social networking sites like facebook are there for the reasons given in the vid. Don't know how much revenue they can pull in from advertising alone, selling information on is sort of implied - and although i'm not paranoid about it, I am aware hopefully, I try to keep my footprints vague if i'm bothered.

I have alternate info such as DOB and postal code which i use for 'non important' sites, it wouldn't take much for a detirmined person to link that kind of stuff together, but at least computers won't encessarly put two and two together from seperate databases. Sad fact of modern life *sigh*

Gonna read more on Information Awarness Office, that just sounds too sinister!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Interesting post dreamer0. I for one stay far away from any sort of social networking site, I prefer to see individuals face-to-face. I always had a hunch that selling information was somewhere on the "non-public priority" list for sites such as facebook, myspace, livejournal...I personally find no need for them, even more so now from the accusations presented in the video.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I have alternate info such as DOB and postal code which i use for 'non important' sites,

That's actually a really smart thing to do Now_Then, perhaps I will implement it into my online activities as well!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i was kind of in shock after watching that video.....shows my naivete. how do people find this information out? is big brother that real already?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Interesting. I'm glad my account is quite vague. LOL

i'm beginning to wonder how much of these social sites are actually tools the governments use to monitor it's people. LOL

Maybe I'm on to something...maybe I should not have even mentioned that...LOL

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Prisonplanet had a similar report up on their website circa 2005. I'm at work right now and can't stream the video, but I'm just wondering how closely tied the two bits of media are.

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well i figure the govt or whoever has a big file on me already so what i put on facebook isnt going to ruin my life.Most of the stuff the ask for is stuff you would tell someone when you first met them (if they asked) anyways, (DOB, Favorite book, what job do you have? what school did you graduate from, how do you know so and so) And if you dont want it known dont write it down its as simple as that. I'm pretty sure the government doesnt rely solely on facebook as a means for figuring out your life story.

Most of the people i know use it because it helps friends keep in contact.. i have facebook friends from elementary and middle school that i would never really wanna call but once in a while i'll write on their wall to see if they are still alive.
At my college we have learned about others' deaths from facebook. For some reason we had quite a few people die in car accidents this year and when someone says a name you may not know who they are but then you get on facebook and realize you were sat right next to that person in class that you did a group project with.

top topics

join