It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC vs Mac: The Truth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
yeah...there's a community out there that hacks together macOS and darwin to get a version that installs and boots on vanilla hardware. the problem is you can't get the standard updates from apple and the hardware support is shotty. even if he were buying legit copies for each hacked copy he installed it's still against Apple's EULA. I'm all for selling people custom machines, but if that's what he's doing that seems a little shady.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by an0maly33]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Mac suck
big time

PC is cost effective and simple to use#
MACS cost a fortune

for a high spec computer and a equivilant Mac
mac costs more

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Mind giving an example there bodrul. Seems your bias for some reason.

Read my rundown of comparisons on THIS THREAD

For what you get and what they can do, they are better than PC's in alot of ways. And also the majority of home users appreciate the lack of spyware and viruses infecting their stuff. I have been for many many yrs a PC user and still am. But i am also a Mac user now and thought very much as you did. But now i know better.

I have had a major upswing in Mac purchases from us instead of PC's. People are tired of paying to have their PC cleaned every other month from their children screwin it up.

But as always, these are just my opinions. Take them for whatever they are worth.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Macs aren't bad computers but they're very overpriced for what they are.

Mac replacement parts are hard to find and also overpriced.

Mac software is limited and overpriced.

Why bother when:
You can buy a pc and get the same/similar performance A LOT cheaper.
Replacement parts are easy to find and cheap.
PC software is easy to find, cheap or even free.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Again i beg to differ. Considering you get upwards of 10 pieces of software on a mac that you would have to purchase on a pc, and 1200 bux for a 20" widescreen, 2.0 core2 duo, 250gig harddrive, a gig of ram and a dvd burner. Made from reliable companies, not a box full of crap like alot of PC's i work on.

Also we are an apple authorized service center. Im not really seeing how parts are hard to find. Apple store, mac connection, mac world. I buy parts from these stores on a daily basis for everything from new to 10yr old macs.

And again, the average user is inundated with thousands, yes thats thousands of spywares and viruses(i have 40+ pc's in the shop for cleaning at any given moment) and i have yet to have one Mac in for cleaning is another huge reason they are becoming so popular. And notice i said average pc user. Not PC savvy people that know how to keep their pc's clean and running well.

I am typing this on a PC as we speak. Most of the rigs in my home are PC's. But in this day and age of $150 cleanings every other month, plus the great list of software that is built into macs, they are rapidly becoming the computer of choice.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

i tried using a MAC
and wanted to smash it (Uni)

then again i am happy i could afford one
as i would have bought one before i used it

basicaly before i bought my laptop
i wanted a good spec (2Gb, Duel core and so on)
Apple one cost £1.600
i went bto sony and smae spec cost me £600

apples arent built for average joes but industry
PCs are for everyone

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No problem bodrul, understandable.

But let me just share just one example of dealing with Sony for a customer for you.

Customer brought in Vaio due to keyboard issues. It was still covered under warranty for another 3 months. Before we shipped it off, we took pictures of everything as usual. It was just a bad keyboard. Sony contacts us with "the keyboard is bad due to liquid spilled on it. $285 to repair. I requested pictures of said spillage and they DID NOT match the pictures we took. Sony drug out our pictures going back and forth and accusing them of padding bills past the warranty date. They then tried to say it was gonna be $1360 due to other problems they found. ( there were none, i used the laptop just fine with an external keyboard) Needless to say, after the customer and his lawyer and our pictures finally made it to litigation, they had to supply this gentleman with a brand new Laptop.

I personally have had to deal with Sony on a couple of my own issues, software stuff. And i now boycott Sony products due to the utter BS it takes to get anything done. Thank you BofA. Sony would do nothing, BofA did. Reversed charges back to my card and dealt with Sony's BS on their side.

Be wary of the Sony giant buddy. When it works, it works good. When you need help, forget it. But these are just my experiences for me and one customer, i have many more and yes, i admit, I am Extremely Biased against Sony due to said history.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Now I'm going to talk about a subject very dear to my heart, Macs. Also, the rather cultish behaviour of users of said macs. If I don't want to use your goddamn system just shut the hell up. Are you taking lessons from the Morons? I mean Mormons. No wait, I do mean Morons. Why do you INSIST on trying to make me think that macs are superior? Keep in mind here that "Ooh! they look pretty!" ISN'T a valid point. The fact that you keep bringing it up is both childish AND irritating. Are you six? Does colourful plastic influence all of your purchasing decisions?
For God's sake! Since when is putting the same thing in a colourful package a revolution? I haven't heard this much brouhaha over nothing since Andy Warhol! Look at me! I can film people sleeping! I can also overexpose film and give myself a verbal blowjob! Go me!" Bring up Macs and you either get the same repetitive vitriol against PCs and how the super shiny imac never ever crashes even when the thing is frozen right in front of me. OS X, it never crashes! Then what about the previous "non crashing" versions? Were you just taking creative liberties? Apple: We can run Office. Whoop de doo. Welcome to the rest of the world. How does it feel?
And why the # is the mouse ROUND? Do I have a ROUND hand? Are the people who work at Apple so fantastically inbred that their hands have become perfect for holding hockey pucks? How about Apple: Scew ergonomics! We think different, by not having devices that FIT THE HUMAN HAND. What's next? Office chairs filled with nails? A cup made out of S@!T? How about a table that just shoots you in the balls? Is that different enough? What if I want to upgrade my monitor, Apple? What then? Do I take out the screen or just buy a whole new mac? Oh wait, that was your plan all along, wasn't it?! Oh, I need new speakers. TIME FOR A NEW COMPUTER!!

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WitchChild
If I don't want to use your goddamn system just shut the hell up.

You need to step down of your high horse there Witch. This is a DISCUSSION board and we are discussing the 2 different types of computers available in the world.

Why do you INSIST on trying to make me think that macs are superior? Keep in mind here that "Ooh! they look pretty!" ISN'T a valid point.

Noone is trying to make you do a dam thing. If you dont like whats being discussed here. Then click on one of the thousands of other threads and talk about that stuff. And i didnt say diddly about how they look so now what.

Are you taking lessons from the Morons? I mean Mormons. No wait, I do mean Morons. The fact that you keep bringing it up is both childish AND irritating.

The only thing irritating and childish is your name calling and holier than thou attitude. One of which is against the T&C's that you agreed to when you signed up.

And why the # is the mouse ROUND? Do I have a ROUND hand? Are the people who work at Apple so fantastically inbred that their hands have become perfect for holding hockey pucks? How about Apple: Scew ergonomics! We think different, by not having devices that FIT THE HUMAN HAND.

Well i havent seen every pc built in the world come with ergonomic keyboards and mice either. So whats your point. Big deal, go buy a replacement kb and mouse that IS ergonomic, just like you would have to do with your PC.

What if I want to upgrade my monitor, Apple? What then? Do I take out the screen or just buy a whole new mac? Oh wait, that was your plan all along, wasn't it?! Oh, I need new speakers. TIME FOR A NEW COMPUTER!!

Well if your so indecisive that you cant figure out what you want when you buy it, i dont know what to tell you. Purchase the one that has the right size monitor in the first place. Oh and the ability to add a second monitor out of the box. Lets see the majority of PC's with onboard video do that. And new speakers??? WTF are you talking about, plug in a surround sound set in the back if you so desire. Again you know not what you speak.

Witch dont come in here flaming a discussion and not expect a reply. But again, we are discussing, very civil, the 2 options in the world for computers. If you cant discuss things civil, then go trolling somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so....Bitchy.
I guess I'm prejudice against Macs because thats the only type of computer my school has and I almost failed a subject when all the school computers screwed up and I was really pissed because I worked really hard.
Plus I'm like Mac illiterate.
Yeah....sorry again

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
alright, personal opinions from me now

i dont like apple. they dont looks pretty. that white colour looks bad. the black doesnt look nice wither. i want gray

i think the point about getting a new monitor is valid. buying a MAC that has a nice and big monitor is expensive. maybe you have like a 19" monitor already and you just want to connect it to the box, the box on its own with out the screen!

MACS need to be able to be pulled apart and to be put back together again with different bits inside whilst still using the same case.

alright, MACS are good for video technicians and graphic designers, but who is one of those? of cause there are some but the average email reading, web surfing Joe isnt one, and wont get the same benefits as a Gfx man.

what i like about a PC. you can make it look like this:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I guess I'm prejudice against Macs because thats the only type of computer my school has and I almost failed a subject when all the school computers screwed up and I was really pissed because I worked really hard.

were these older macs? anything pre-OS X is junk IMO. i've had the same problems when i was in school. we had a bunch of mac classics and performas. seems i couldn't go a day without seeing the bomb. any modern mac is actually quite pleasant to use. i still get the occasional safari crash though. and i still boot over to vista so i can game.

Plus I'm like Mac illiterate.

this could be why you hate them. if you think about it, racism and prejudice are perfect analogs to that statement - "i hate because i don't understand." just saying, you might want to analyze that line of thinking. =)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

Same here, the old Macs in my school were totally junk, and they freeze up far too often and were extremely user "unfriendly", they put me off Mac.

My friend has fravoite saying, "If you have a PC, You own the PC, If you have a Mac , the Mac owns you."

He explains that you can do anything with the PC and turn into anything you want with the large range of hardwares avaiable that you can buy and make one yourself with parts from different companies, if you know how.

Not with the Mac.

I guess it all comes down to the freedom of choice and not being totally dependent on a single company for specialized parts, services, or programes.

He thinks it has become a religion for some Mac Lovers who are so dependent on Apple and Mac computers that they appear to be like ignorant brainwashed slaves who do not know anything else.

Apple and the Mac tells their user their rights, PC users have the freedom to do as they please.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by ixiy]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ixiy
reply to post by an0maly33

Same here, the old Macs in my school were totally junk, and they freeze up far too often and were extremely user "unfriendly", they put me off Mac.

My friend has fravoite saying, "If you have a PC, You own the PC, If you have a Mac , the Mac owns you."

He explains that you can do anything with the PC and turn into anything you want with the large range of hardwares avaiable that you can buy and make one yourself with parts from different companies, if you know how.

Not with the Mac.

I guess it all comes down to the freedom of choice and not being totally dependent on a single company for specialized parts, services, or programes.

He thinks it has become a religion for some Mac Lovers who are so dependent on Apple and Mac computers that they appear to be like ignorant brainwashed slaves who do not know anything else.

Apple and the Mac tells their user their rights, PC users have the freedom to do as they please.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by ixiy]

This is a little off topic but in my opinion what you just said about macs screams Rush Limbough, and he uses macs. lol

<< 1   >>

join