It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas syphoning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Was just curious about syphoning gas. I've heard that the pumps at gas stations can not pump the gas out from below a certain point. I'm sure this has something to do with water. What would be the procedures for syphoning that gas out during a sitx. I'm sure a small pump and long hose would do it. How are the actual tanks sealed? I'll have to look close next time I fill up but I don't recall seeing any kind of locking mecanism on the filler lids.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well, the little cover come up easily and may or may not have a padlock on the caps below the steel covers. That depends mostly on the station's hours of operation and policy on when they can take a delivery. In order to pump it out, you will a very long hose (40 feet should be enough) that will reach low into the tank and a manual hand crank pump to provide enough power of suction to pull the gas up the hose. While a locked cap could be opened, best to try elsewhere as sending a spark down the narrow shaft is not a great idea.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Syphoning? Thats against the lawr, as we say here in Massachusetts. :shk:

I wouldnt do it unless you want to go to camp for awhile.

I have seen people drive up to gas stations and catch the last few drops off the hoses....I suppose when you're desperate...huh.

Its rough. I really cant go anywhere unless its work or an emergency.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Im not sure how big the hole is but I would use the bucket down the well method.

That would be a quick method. Then go find manual pump.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Bucket method does not work as the fill tube is about 4 inches diameter. FYI my information provided is for legitamate emergency refuel purposes and is not intended to sidestep the current gas prices by engaging in acts of theft. These were also some of the answers that I provided when asked how to run the gas station that I worked at if there was a disruption of power due to Y2K in late 1999.

Think that is disclaimer enough?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ma'in, ya' stewwpid:

Penalty for fouling a reservoir, because that is what it is when you break the seal and let in un-quality items, let us say; is quite severe. As in repair, replacement, recourse. As in, on the news.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If the shtf laws wouldnt be much to deter you from getting gas. But I wouldnt want to be the guy with the pump at the gas station. You better have your hose in one hand and your gun in the other.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Probably easier to just get it from abandoned cars along the way, instead of stopping into a gas station that is probably already empty.

apc

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Agreed... siphoning gas out of a car's tank is pretty easy as gravity does most of the work for you. Just try not to swallow any.

Take note that some vehicles have a metal screen at the bottom of the filler neck. You either have to puncture it to get your hose through, or find another vehicle.

Best bet would probably be car sales lots. I would imagine the highways would be packed full of cars with empty tanks. However this is probably a good way to get shot.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The best way to siphon gas with no filler neck screen is to use a extenally mounted automotive fuel pump. Hook it to a small 12vt battery, add a hose on the intake end of the pump as well as the output end,prime the line with suction if nessesary. A person can also set it up to hook into a ciggarette lighter outlet, if its a high pressure pump it will drawl up the fuel no problem. This method will drain the tank quick with very little noise.
Sometimes you can just unhook the fuel line straight from the tank and drain it into coffee tins or any short containers,for priming,and slow draining. On some vehicles there are drains on the bottoms of the tanks as well. I have siphoned gas in an emergency, and of course got it in my mouth, have some water near to rinse it out if availible,it burns, but it is definetly not going to kill you.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Did'ja ever notice that water well pumps are at the bottom of the well?

Reason being, you can't pull water very far with a suction pump, you have to push it up via a submersible pump.

Same deal with gas stations.

Since a siphon's outlet has to be lower than the inlet, siphoning gas from a gas station tank would be difficult.

new topics

top topics

join