It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something has to be done about Bill O'reilly

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by acmeartifacts

Bill never claimed to be a reporter. His show isn't news, any more than the editorial section of the newspaper is. I find it odd that anyone would want to limit someone's free speech, even if they disagree. I find it interesting when folks who complain about personal freedoms being taken away by the government, would call for censorship/firing/etc..
Foxnews, and every other media source are businesses. They make money by ratings/advertising. If nobody found O'Reilly, Matthews, etc... interesting, then they wouldn't have jobs.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
BlueRaja, it gets back to them wanting free speech for those they agree with... They don't REALLY want free speech, not if it's contradictory to their own indoctrinated minds..
:shk:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Bill O'Reilly is pretty far from being "the far right" though. He is much less to the right than Franken, and his cohorts are to the left.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

You and I know that, but I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of the left. They worship at the alter of toleration, yet are the most intolerant group out there. They want diversity as long as it's not with regards to ideology.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

If more people truly understood and practiced what is in the Bible, instead of dismissing it, or worse yet, using it to fulfill their own misbegotten agendas, this world would be a far better place.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Again, I have heard O'Reilly claim to be a reporter, "just like you Megan," when he had Megan Kelly on his show a while back.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

They are not intolerant, they are fed up, and rightly so. With the right steamrolling everything in its path these days, and dissent labeled treasonous, what are the alternatives?

Those who believe "might makes right" are soon to be served a dish of their own medicine by the Almighty. Its inevitable.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I've watched O'Reilly plenty of times, and I'm gonna have to say that it's horse pucky to say that he's derogatory or impolite every 6.8 seconds.
He's generally polite even to those with whom he has disagreements with, but he will call someone out if they're dodging the questions. Big difference.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

So you're saying that the left are tolerant of views that don't jive with theirs, but those on the right are the intolerant ones? You will find far more examples of the thought police on the left of the spectrum than you will on the right.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
What you are labeling intolerance is merely a symptom of the underlying issue of the right's stranglehold on government and policy decisions over the last seven years. The left is fed up with the direction the right has forced this country to take. You are perceiving it as intolerance, and it may be, when it is a reaction to what the left considers to be the destructive policies implemented by the far right. In the next election cycle, the left may walk all over the right, putting the shoe on the other foot and perpetuating the problem. Nice.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
What you are labeling intolerance is merely a symptom of the underlying issue of the right's stranglehold on government and policy decisions over the last seven years. The left is fed up with the direction the right has forced this country to take. You are perceiving it as intolerance, and it may be, when it is a reaction to what the left considers to be the destructive policies implemented by the far right. In the next election cycle, the left may walk all over the right, putting the shoe on the other foot and perpetuating the problem. Nice.

What I label as intolerance is this-

The left doesn't believe in personal accountability, shame, etc... They want to be able to do anything they want guilt free, but as soon as someone says that what they're doing is wrong, then the accuser is labeled a bigot, judgemental, etc.... The left wants rights without responsibilities. The left doesn't believe in the right to criticize other's choices, actions, behaviors(unless that person is a conservative, in which case it's perfectly acceptable to demonize them). The left is intolerant of anyone that doesn't share their view, or who they feel isn't tolerant enough. They believe that diversity is people of all genders, races, origins, walks of life, etc.. that think exactly alike. Anyone who is a free thinker is dangerous and needs reeducation or sensitivity training.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What you don't realize, but what is perfectly obvious to me, is what you say about the left can just as easily be said about the right. That is the nature of factionalism; it all really just boils down to the old schoolyard taunt, "I know you are but what am I?"

It is sad to let partisanship define you in such a way. It is an inherently false, shortsighted, and immature approach to political life. I suggest that you broaden your perspective somewhat and be honest with yourself. I believe you will find it refreshing.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmeartifacts
Something has to be done about Bill O'Reilly

The best thing anyone can do is switch off if O'Reilly comes on the TV, and whats more better avoid watching the tv station he is on altogether, and even write to the management to explain why you will never again tune into the station. And if everyone did that, Bill O Reilly would not ever be on TV again.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
What you don't realize, but what is perfectly obvious to me, is what you say about the left can just as easily be said about the right. That is the nature of factionalism; it all really just boils down to the old schoolyard taunt, "I know you are but what am I?"

It is sad to let partisanship define you in such a way. It is an inherently false, shortsighted, and immature approach to political life. I suggest that you broaden your perspective somewhat and be honest with yourself. I believe you will find it refreshing.

How frequently have you heard about conservative sensitivity training programs, where they tell people how to think, and indoctrinate young high school/college students into the ways of supply side economics.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The polarization and demonization has been going on for a very long time! Apparently it only became a problem when it was spit back at liberals! Right? You bet! The libs no longer have a monopoly on information and they hate it! To bad! Welcome to the information age!

[edit on 11/30/2007 by rockets red glare]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet

Originally posted by acmeartifacts
Something has to be done about Bill O'Reilly

The best thing anyone can do is switch off if O'Reilly comes on the TV, and whats more better avoid watching the tv station he is on altogether, and even write to the management to explain why you will never again tune into the station. And if everyone did that, Bill O Reilly would not ever be on TV again.

Of course a lot of people watch and enjoy his show, so I doubt this will come to fruition. Change the channel if you don't like the Factor.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rockets red glare

No, it only becomes a problem when it leads to attitudes like the one reflected in your post. Go ahead on down the road to partisan ruin. See where it gets you, and us, in the end.

Now, who's indoctrinated with what? All I see is hate directed at the perceived enemy of the moment, from both sides. The far left and right are more alike than they would like to admit. Reflections in the mirror, if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The only similarity is the strong belief that their ideology is correct, and that of the other side is not. They don't share any similarities beyond that in economic or social policy.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Oh, but you're right and they are wrong, because....... they're wrong and you are right.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I thought this was America, why must something be done about Bill?

I suppose you are for the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine too?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join