It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-Heparins and Anti Clotting Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Being I am a thrombofeliac this interests me.

I have had three DVT's and four pulmonary embolisms and one renal embolisms and suffer from post thrombotic syndrome in both legs.

Having gone through some secondary complications due to long term Coumadin therapy (rat posion), in which I got severe Osteoporosis and had a collapes fracture of T12 with a wedge deformity in Nov 06.

The adverse effect on Vit K is the culprit although two doctors knew nothing of severe bone loss and long term coumadin therapy or heparins. Vit K plays many roles in the body, one being clotting, another being bone growth.

This too was not something I had ever seen in the compendium and sure enough its not there but it is in the literature I found on the web. The amount was around 15% based on different studies on women, men and children, which is clincal significant and should be under the adverse effects for coumadin, but it is not!
Thats not right.

Be that as it may, it just goes to show u, now matter how much you know (I am a registered medical professional in ontario) and how much your doctors know and no matter what you think you may know.....
we all know so little.

I decided against the advice of my medical team to quit coumadin last month and tried 8 natural alternatives together for a month.

Well that did not work.

DOOH!

I have been put on Low Molecular Weight Heparin again via stomach injectioins as I have my third DVT in my left common femoral and the Illiac vein.

The clot goes from my hip to just above my knee.

I am requesting life time LMW Heparin for my condition vs Coumadin.
The compendium info on coumadin is not good.

This is about even lower weight Heparins, 4 chain molecules and some promising studies

www.hinduonnet.com...

There was another drug in FDA trials for blood clotting but it caused some liver failure and it was stopped.
Bummer.

What is your experinece with long term blood thinners?

[edit on 23-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I will chat with one of our vascular docs, but most of my experience has been with LMH aka Lovenoxor or regular heparin. We seldom use coumadin in pediatrics (im not sure why but I do think I have ever given it myself to a patient)

Just poking around the net shows ample studies supporting LMH heparin for DVT. You may have to gear up for a battle with your insurance company however. LMH is a pricey drug and they may kick an scream. Hopefully they just change over for you

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am Canadian, its covered, praise God I live in Canada

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
I am Canadian, its covered, praise God I live in Canada

Outstanding
Let us know how it is working for you!

top topics

join