It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Activated Prostate Cancer Therapy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I came across this in my medical studies the other day. Its a clinical trial out of McGill University Health Center (MUHC) in Montreal, Quebec.

I thought this was so interesting and I wanted to share it as most men will face prostate cancer before they die

Tookad, (meaning "warmth of light" in Hebrew) is a chlorophyl based chemical that is injected into a patient in its inactive form. The drug circulates through the body in the inactive form until it gets locally activated where exposed to the light of a target laser.

When Tookad is exposed to laser light, it converts into a chemical that blocks blood vessels in the immediate area. This effectively chokes off the tissue exposed to light from its life giving blood supply. Previous trials with similar treatments taught the researchers the optimum dosage and light combinations needed to kill tumors yet leave surrounding tissue unaffected.

Treatment during a phase I trial yielded a complete removal of prostate cancer in 46 percent of patients who had recurrent cancer after radiation treatment.

prostatecancer.about.com...

[edit on 23-5-2007 by junglelord]

new topics

join