It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US forces find Iranian money in Baghdad raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

US forces have killed two gunmen and discovered a large amount of Iranian currency and bomb-making materials in a raid on the Baghdad Shiite neighbourhood of Sadr City on Wednesday.
US troops searched 11 buildings during the raid in search of a cell involved in importing weapons from Iran into Baghdad and southeastern Iraq.

"As they continued to search the buildings, coalition forces found a large quantity of Iranian money, more than 6,000 dollars in US money and improvised explosive device-making materials," said the statement

Just what is a large amount of Iranian $$ doing there?

The exchange rate is ~9,256 Rail to $1 US.........(www.farsinet.com...) so I guess one would need alot of Rails.

Interesting that the exchange rate 1975 was ~70 R to $1.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
That would be like asking why someone in the USA would have money from Canada, England or any other country. Maybe because their dollar is worthless?? Haven't you seen website selling millions of Iraqi dollars for like 100.00?? If their money is worthless maybe Iranian currency is worth more for them.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Nice apologist playoff there, ThePieMan.

Large amounts of Iranian money found in Iran?
Conclusion: The Iranians are literally financing the insurgency.
Self-evident.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Haven't you seen website selling millions of Iraqi dollars for like 100.00?? If their money is worthless maybe Iranian currency is worth more for them.

Actually, Iraqi Dinar is not that bad compared to its value before occupation.

I think Iraqi money may actually be worth more than Iranian, although I am not sure at all (let the reader do his own research.)

Also, Iraqis in Baghdad at least dont use any currency other American Dollars and Iraqi Dinar.

But nice try.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
I think Iraqi money may actually be worth more than Iranian, although I am not sure at all (let the reader do his own research.)

Also, Iraqis in Baghdad at least dont use any currency other American Dollars and Iraqi Dinar.

But nice try.

Ok well if Iranian money is worthless what good will it do the insurgency. I do not know whats acceptable on the black market over there so it may or may not be a possibility that they could possibly be using Iranian $ for trade across border. There are shortages there so its highly possible. Large amounts of money doesn't mean a thing if the $ is worthless you will need wheelbarrows of the stuff.

Originally posted by Seekerof
Nice apologist playoff there, ThePieMan.

Apologist for what? Something you maybe wish it to possibly be?
Im using an open mind. Im not just putting on a sheepskin and bah-bahhing into the fields to chew on grass.
Sorry if I don't respond properly to your sheepherders call.

Find out the financial climate over there and the current situation as far as the blackmarket goes and then I'll make a decision, but Im not going to say "Oh yes, it must be Iran is supporting the insurgency because they found a man with currency from a bordering country" just to appease you.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If Iranains are selling weapons from Iran, they would want to be paid in Rails not US dollars.

If Iran did not use/support it's own money then it would collapse.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
If Iranains are selling weapons from Iran, they would want to be paid in Rails not US dollars.

I think their preferred method of payment would probably be Euro, but again just speculation. As shown by this thread, even Rail is evidence (at least if one wants it to be.) Euro would be evidence of nothing but trade.

They definitely would not accept Dinar, not even if it is worth more than Rail. Dinar is a national currency that does you little good outside of Iraq. Rails are the same. Euro or Dollar would be the logical choices in this situation, and I don’t think they would want Dollars, probably don’t do so well at the local shop.

Also, can you imagine if they (Iranians supporting the Iraq resistance) were caught by Americans with Dinar and weapons? It would be the excuse we need.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some posters think we are the sheep and follow the sheep herders.

Nice to know you are the one that isn't the follower and you are right.

You could be wrong you know.

I could be wrong too.

Iran denyed supplying Hezbollah with funds, weapons, and training for a long time. How truthful was that?

I do think Iran's government is giving funds, weapons, and supplies for IEDs into Iraq. How much? You don't know and I don't know.

Discounting stories from a point of view over time can cause a blindless, just as much as accepting that story.

Maybe some posters could be a sheep in wolf's clothing.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
what if we alter this scenario a little bit and say they found british pounds instead? what would that prove? would it prove the entire british government is financing terrorists, or that 1 rich british citizen is financing terrorists? The same goes for any country an currency. Replace it with U.S. dollars and the evidence is still inconclusive - for all we know it could be a terrorist funding terrorism. Terrorist organizations in many different countries (including U.S.) have large sums of money available.

Are there terrorists who happen to be Iranian citizens? probably. Are there terrorists who happen to be U.S. citizens? probably. Terrorists live in many different countries. Does that prove that a country's government funds terrorism? I don't think so.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by curiousbeliever]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

With large quantities of Soviet made Kalashnikovs, currently in Iranian possession, why would Iran sells it's more advanced Iranian weapons?
Are you so naive to think that the Iranian government would sell weapons, to Iraqi insurgents, that clearly state ''made in Iran''?

Do you think the US gives insurgents in Iran weapons that state ''made in the US''? Of course not!

Most likely, it hasn't been the Iranian government selling those weapons, but Iranian crimininals/mafia, which doesn't clearify the amounts of Iranian money as even the most ignorant criminal would ask Dollars or Euros.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob

I do think Iran's government is giving funds, weapons, and supplies for IEDs into Iraq. How much? You don't know and I don't know.

Discounting stories from a point of view over time can cause a blindless, just as much as accepting that story.

Maybe some posters could be a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Sorry but I had to laugh at this one...BIllions of dollars are missing, Billions in oil is hijacked, tons and tons of explosives are missing , arms are stolen and you think its Iran supplying them? LOL
Thats a joke right?

I think we have done a great job of that ourselves. I think maybe you've just heard so many different stories and scandals that maybe these little items slipped your mind, even though the most recent report was about the billions of dollars in oil hijacked by insurgents. Yeah they need Iran allright .

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oh, the pie dude want to do the quote war

the pieman said
"Sorry but I had to laugh at this one...BIllions of dollars are missing, Billions in oil is hijacked, tons and tons of explosives are missing , arms are stolen and you think its Iran supplying them? LOL
Thats a joke right?

I think we have done a great job of that ourselves. I think maybe you've just heard so many different stories and scandals that maybe these little items slipped your mind, even though the most recent report was about the billions of dollars in oil hijacked by insurgents. Yeah they need Iran allright ."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have to laugh at your comedy act of a post. You can't be serious. Maybe you have heard too many stories or made some up in your head. You try to spin like a spider.

Both sides are jerks period. But some like to see only one side of a story and accept it as truth. I think America should not be in Iraq. But to deny iran's government is not flexing some muscle and funding things inside Iraq is simplistic and laughable. There is a big world out there see some of it. America is not always the bad guy. Iran is not always the bad guy. I guess boycott upc code says pretty much your view on most things, as I have seen over and over again.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob

I have to laugh at your comedy act of a post. You can't be serious. Maybe you have heard too many stories or made some up in your head. You try to spin like a spider.

Oh you caught me. I made them up out of my head. They never actually existed. Im a spinmeister and a paid Iranian propagandist (You forgot one)
I would like you to refute any one of my claims, The missing money, stolen truckloads of explosives and the hijacked oil. Google them up and lets see your results. See if Im making them up or if you are just burying your head in the sand here.

new topics

top topics

join