It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Situation X scenario: Reign of fire.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Now here's a thought-experiment to test your survival skills.

Dragons afflict the earth, and threaten to topple human civilization.

Suppose they have, I don't know, just arrived from outer space or something. The dragon-pairs that retreated to remote areas would begin breeding, with little notice from the developed world until their brood hatched.

Imagine creatures with scales making them invulnerable to most edged weapons or archaic missles --- assume it's the equivalent of, say, Level III body armor (would stop almost all pistol and many rifle rounds).

Assume the creatures can vomit flame because they can generate a sodium or phosporus-containing chemical. Imagine them being equal to say, a flame thrower, producing at total of maybe 30 seconds of flame every 24 hours.

Give them a lust for jewelry and human flesh; or sheep as a handy substitute.

How do you respond. How do you defend yourself and/or combat such an evil?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think I would use that stick throwing technique that you and Libra told me about in the rabbit thread.

Peace

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I personally would walk to a near by army base, call my friend (an armorer) pick up an MP s few 66mm LAWs and you'll probably quess the rest

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Assume the creatures can vomit flame because they can generate a sodium or phosporus-containing chemical.

strategy1: Equip myself with a water pistol and use that against them. Assuming they somehow ingest Sodium metal, a mouthful of water would make for a big bang [2Na(s) + 2H2O → 2NaOH(aq) + H2(g)]

Originally posted by Dr Love
I think I would use that stick throwing technique

Strategy2: Take said stick and throw as far as possible whilst shouting "Fetch!"

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by Dr Love
I think I would use that stick throwing technique

Strategy2: Take said stick and throw as far as possible whilst shouting "Fetch!"

while not use full very funny I gave it a three on the little star thing.

All body armor has its weakness. that weakness is usually the head, and especially the eyes. There are a few of us on here who have the training and the guts to take a eye shot and hit ware were aiming at. No matter how good the body armor a bullet in the brain will end any fight. To those who don't have said training. Spray, pray, and run. Then repeat. If that doesn't work Put a fork in it your done.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'll be the first to admit, is a fairly absurd "situation X" to prepare for, even on a purely intellectual level.

I guess one way to think this through would be to speculate about where dragons could do the most damage. Basically, like other terrorists, dragons would need to make an early strike that disrupts human infrastructure; fuel, communications, and transport facilities.

I expect a dragon would have a pretty short life-expectancy against military equipment, like a helicopter, etc. Though a jet of flame vomited into a jet engine could be pretty unpredictable.

Basically, for this thread to affect the average ATS, there'd have to be hundreds of thousands of dragons world-wide, all showing up at once.

I'm just wondering how you'd improvize a dragon-trap, or make yourself a flame-retardant outfit . . . .

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Interesting thought. There are many useful ways to make high level explosives and convert them into high schrapnel producing weapons. I would consider baiting them with beef cattle (readily available in my neck of the woods), and using the explosives to inflict damage. Unless they were extremely intelligent you could probably figure a way to use a deadfall pit and stakes to trap and possibly wound them also. These techniques are also useful for destroying rabid goats if and when the earth becomes plauged by them. Luckily goats do not breath fire or we could be in trouble.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Firstly i hope that this thread isn't the first that somebody new to the survival section comes across...

Anyway assuming that they somehow managed to breed to 500,000 or something all over the globe...

Probably if you live in a country with a strong military you would be ok. Unless they are some sort of super reptile im fairly sure the military would take care of it for you.

They would eventualy take over countrys with little or no military to protect them, and maybe even a continent or two. Then maybe they will die off after being infected with a virus or something - i donno?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bruce

These techniques are also useful for destroying rabid goats if and when the earth becomes plauged by them. Luckily goats do not breath fire or we could be in trouble.

Now there's a situation X that I don't think I'm prepared for!

Rabid Goats with or without the flames . . . Bruce, can we look forward to your rundown of this scenario in a coming "situation X" thread?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Humans have wiped out most other species, I see no reason why we couldn't take out a few dozen giant lizards. Basically hide until help arrives (rocket launchers?) instead of being a hero.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Dragons Be Easy Pickings(w/a harsh gutteral pirate like accent). They're winged creatures. Their wings are their weak spots. A few well placed rounds from my Barrett .50 cal will leave them on the ground where they're even more vulnerable. If you lure them into valley with virgins,(Dragons find virgins especially tasty) and can get them to land you can hammer them with big rocks from your trebuchet.

Unless they drop their live babies in the air, their nests will be very vulnerable on the ground. Always can get a few Al Quaida boys to offer themselves up as meals with explosive vests on.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here's the text from the Greek version of the Book of Daniel, which contains an episode where the prophet Daniel poisons a dragon:

Now in that placec there was a great dragon, which the Babylonians revered. The king said to Daniel, "You cannot deny that this is a living god; so worship him." Daniel said, "I worship the Lord my God, for he is the living God. But give me permission, O king, and I will kill the dragon without sword or club." The king said, "I give you permission."
Then Daniel took pitch, fat, and hair, and boiled them together and made cakes, which he fed to the dragon. The dragon ate them, and burst open. Then Daniel said, "See what you have been worshiping!"
When the Babylonians heard about it, they were very indignant and conspired against the king, saying, "The king has become a Jew; he has destroyed Bel, and killed the dragon, and slaughtered the priests." Going to the king, they said, "Hand Daniel over to us, or else we will kill you and your household." The king saw that they were pressing him hard, and under compulsion he handed Daniel over to them.

Maybe a last ditch effort, but if you're caught in a survival situation, it might be better than nothing.

Who knows what the mechanism was, though? Did the prophet give the dragon a hairball it couldn't cough up? Did the pitch and fat react with the dragon's "flamethrower" mechanism?" Did it cause appendicitis?

Hope none of us ever have to find out. Or clean up afterwards.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Very simple, i'd befriend it.
Just because someone likes sushi, it doesn't mean he'll jump on top of raw fish on sight.

Considering these are dragons with quite an amount of intelligence (Dragons from outer space? lol) there is an actual chance that I might succeed.

Then there's also the cheap argument:
If Situation X is so unlikely, the chances that this happens are as big as that I will become my fictional super-character, which means I would be able to kill them in no-time.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I'm just wondering how you'd improvise a dragon-trap, or make yourself a flame-retardant outfit . . . .

I'd lore them into a super walmart (by use of a virgin in tattered clothing tied to a stake in the middle of the store). I'd use grill master lids as flame shields and the endless aisles, as a maze to confuse the dragons. Lastly I would try to get them grouped into the electronics department, Blare Michael Martin Murphy on the video/audio system (the song they used in forty year old virgin) until all of the dragon's willingly commit suicide; or change there plan to kill Michael martin Murphy... there problem solved.... except for that poor ex doobie brother...

i better get 4 stars for this one!

Coven out.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I hope to eventually have this all put together. Right now I am having trouble with trying to develop a camouflage that would resist goat bites and the sting of the Mexican Whooping Goat. I have however come up with a suitable anti venom for the Great Northern Reticulated Nocturnal Goat.......So many species.......so much work......so little time

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Bruce Here in Michigan we have a rare spicies of goat that is deadly to the Pocket book. It will kill your wallet and all your credit cards in one glance. Its called the ex wife goat. it also comes in a Mule specimen, AKA Jack Arse. can you help defeat this terror? It kills every man it touches. they are left mindless hunks of human flesh who can only work and finds no joy in life.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
big flying reptiles I think we could exterminate without too many problems. rpg's, rockets, grenades, 20/30mm chain guns. etc

now what if say you had a genetic mutation of an insect, say a wood devoring / crop devoring insect on the scale of a locust that shorted the breeding cycle and increased the life span and broad reproduction rate by say an exponent of x25 over current.

So much that the entire global population of the insect triples ever hour.

The sky filled with a black swarm of billions of locusts, the ground covered with trillions of locusts consuming everything in site.

It is not the large beasts that we have to worry about but rather being overcome by trillions of small devoring insects that would shread every substance on the planets surface and then consume themselves.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
kill one dragon with a 50 cal barrett semi auto from local gun store. develop a tasty recipe from dragon hide and maybe a way to tan dragon hide for lether goods then open up a fast food franchise puff the magic
dragon a rival to chucky cheese. it will be such a big money maker people will be poaching dragons left and right problem solved

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Bruce Here in Michigan we have a rare spicies of goat that is deadly to the Pocket book. It will kill your wallet and all your credit cards in one glance. Its called the ex wife goat. it also comes in a Mule specimen, AKA Jack Arse. can you help defeat this terror? It kills every man it touches. they are left mindless hunks of human flesh who can only work and finds no joy in life.

This is the reason I have become a champion of man against the dreaded goat species, years ago I was afflicted by the bite of the exact same species you have mentioned. It has been a long recovery from its toxins and I am lucky to be alive though emotionally scarred. These creatures are evil and cunning and have the same abilities as sea sirens, appearing as beautiful maidens of virtue to later reveal the wicked goat hag that lurks within. Be afraid, be very afraid!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
In some ways, this thread reminds me of a book by Larry Nivan called "Footfall". It was a pretty good sci-fi read. And as to survival/engaugement ideas, not too bad there either.

And I am still being tracked by one of those goats that eats wallets and souls. They're worse than Zombies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join