It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR? - Nine US Warships enter Persian Gulf for 'Training'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Iran was set to begin its newest round of War 'games' yesterday.

I fear this is not going to end well.

Two carriers in that little 'ol pond is a very tempting target, this could be a very "memorable" Memorial Day Weekend.

Nine U.S. warships enter Gulf for training
23 May 2007 05:26:59 GMT
Source: Reuters

ABOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS, May 23 (Reuters) - Nine U.S. military ships entered the Gulf on Wednesday for a rare daylight assembly off Iran's coast in what naval officials said was the largest such move since the 2003 Iraq war.

Most U.S. ships pass through the straits at night so as not to attract attention, and rarely move in such large numbers.

Navy officials said the decision to send a second aircraft carrier was made at the last minute, without giving a reason.

www.alertnet.org...

(This was first disclosed in DEBKA-Net-Weekly 300 on May 11.)

Our sources also note that the US armada sailed into the Gulf on the day the latest UN Security Council ultimatum expired for Iran to give up uranium enrichment or face a fresh set of sanctions.

Its presence backs up Cheney’s pledge and tells the region and Iran that Washington may not be satisfied with sanctions and the military option is alive. Washington is also stiffening its posture ahead of its first direct talks with Tehran on Monday, May 28, when US and Iraqi ambassadors meet in Baghdad.

The message to Iran and its ally Syria is that if the Baghdad talks fail, and they refuse to suspend their backing for Iraq’s insurgents and al Qaeda, the US stands ready with a military option.

www.debka.com...

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I saw this on MSNBC.com as well.
Truly interesting times we live in.
I figure one of two things could "possibly" come of this.
One being,they are trying to bait Iran into doing something stupid.
Or two,the U.S manages to pull off another false flag terror attack and blame it on Iran.
Well of course theres always a third option,nothing will happen at all.
This does deserve keeping an eye on though.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's just a bunch of sabre rattling. Both countries arn't helping the situation, which is stupid on their part, because it could lead to people getting killed, and thats the last thing we want.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I don't see us getting through the summer without a military confrontation with Iran. This war game is nothing less than a show of force to Iran, and it shows that the US is very interested in keeping that strait open. Oil prices would skyrocket if war broke out and that strait was closed.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I agree-just more sabre rattling at this point. They are about to issue a 3rd set of sanctions. I have a feeling that this time the sanctions will have teeth however, but that it wont deter Iran. When this new set of sanctions expires in 60 days, there wont be a 4th set, there will be a strike on Iran.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
They do this all the time in the Persian Gulf as well as areas in and around Korea. Its the same ole, "my gun is bigger than your gun bs"
Similar shows of force happened somewhere that I cant quite remember... oh yea, it happens in the schools playground, just without the warships.
You'd think that they would out grow these kinds of activities at some point in their lives

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Where's the link for the iranian planned war games around this time?

What really will set the date is the UN tomorrow about sanctions, and the Iraq security meeting between Iran and the USA on may 28.

Thanks!

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reform America
It's just a bunch of sabre rattling.

Reform, there is a distinct difference between "sabre rattling" and a show of force.

Also, the UN will continue to do nothing.
The meeting between Iran and the US is over security concerns in Iraq and this will produce nothing. One wants Iraq to succeed whereas the other does not. Hmm, wonder which wants which.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Kinda dumb tactical move. these craft are safest way out at sea. In the confined waters of the Gulf these carriers are big fat targets.

Let me Guess ... GW Bush dreamed this one up all by himself ?

You play to your own strengths and not to the enemy's. Iran has a huge advantage in the Gulf in a real shooting war. hang on to your hats if Iran get's trigger happy. Iran's Shiskavel 200 knot torpedoes could put these boats and their 5000 men crews at the bottom of the ocean faster than you could say Pearl Harbour.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
Or two,the U.S manages to pull off another false flag terror attack and blame it on Iran.

Ok, while I believe that the current administration is careless and their makers forgot a few parts when they put their head together, that would just be plain stupid, and entirely obvious. I honestly think that Bush and his cronies know that if they even tried that they'd all be outed almost immediately.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Mekanic your faith in GBW is touchingly sweet, but i have no faith that President Bush has anything near approaching common sense.

Was this the same man who flew aboard an aircraft carrier shortly after Baghdad fell and declared the war in Iraq was won ?

Not to mention equally hot heads in Tehran.

Point is this... If you really intend to take out Iran's nuclear program, just do it and stop all this false sabre rattling. At best it endangers two important fleet assets in confined waters. At worst it destroys credibility if as you say, it is self evident they would not risk these carriers.

You need credibility if you want to succeed in this showdown.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by Reform America
It's just a bunch of sabre rattling.

Reform, there is a distinct difference between "sabre rattling" and a show of force.

Also, the UN will continue to do nothing.
The meeting between Iran and the US is over security concerns in Iraq and this will produce nothing. One wants Iraq to succeed whereas the other does not. Hmm, wonder which wants which.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Seekerof]

Maybe you should look up the definition then... Or I'll do it for you:

Sabre Rattling
noun
the ostentatious display of military power (with the implied threat that it might be used)

Thats off Dictionary.com says samething on wiki as well.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If the implied threat is not credible then it will just be laughed at, or worse evoke a response that seriously cripples the US Navy and sparks a real war.

USA rattled sabres before Pearl harbour with an oil embargo on Japan from July 1941 and deployments to the Pacific. Well we all know the outcome don't we ?

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Except this isnt 1941. Iran takes out 9 of our ships and then we nuke 'em. Game over. Thanks for playing.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by princeofpeace]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Sadly prince of peace history repeats and history didn't begin on your first birthday.

EDIT:[ Thing this most reminds me of from 1941 was the Repulse and Prince of Wales steaming into the gulf of Siam ]

Only thing different from 1941 is the nationalities involved and the technology. If you don't make the effort to understand history, you will never understand the future.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes the technology is the main difference which can lead to a much different outcome this time. Its the same, but different. Remember, those were firecrackers dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Come on Iran-step up to the plate. We got something waiting for ya.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Except this isnt 1941. Iran takes out 9 of our ships and then we nuke 'em. Game over. Thanks for playing.

that would end up triggering a massive backlash against the already reeling united states.

yeah, let's nuke a country. iran takes out 9 of our ships and then we kill a massive amount of civilians....
since when are we the bad guys?

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Yes the technology is the main difference which can lead to a much different outcome this time. Its the same, but different. Remember, those were firecrackers dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Come on Iran-step up to the plate. We got something waiting for ya.

are you actually implying that you'd like to see multi-megaton bombs dropped on iran?

top topics

join