It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Found Guilty Of Supporting Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Doctor Found Guilty Of Supporting Terror

www.abcnews.go.com

A Florida doctor on trial for pledging to help al-Qaida had hoped to convince a jury that he did not know he had offered his medical expertise to the terror group.

But jurors Monday apparently did not believe him. They convicted Dr. Rafiq Abdus Sabir of providing material support to terrorists by agreeing to treat injured al-Qaida fighters so they could return to Iraq to battle Americans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.cbsnews.com
news.xinhuanet.com

[edit on 24-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I can't say I like hearing that several people have been arrested and convicted of this. But at the same time I am glad they have been found and caught. The news story is about the doctor, but it goes on to talk about some of the others. The Doctor was not in this alone.

www.abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
odd. he was in the us and he was fixing up the "terrorists" and then sending them back ? wouldnt that be kinda out of the way ? i mean
its not cost effective . it dosnt make any sence to send a "soldier" here
and treat him and then send him back there dose it ?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
how did an injured combattant get onto a plane without anyone noticing? how many patients was this guy treating?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chibihogoshino
he was in the us and he was fixing up the "terrorists" and then sending them back ?

Chibihogoshino,
The impression I got was that this doctor said he would support the terror group with his medical skills. That could take on many different forms. Medical treatment would only one form of support.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Doctors supporting terror! Ok, now I'm really stating to worry about the direction of this country. I was under the impression that an MD is supposed to help the sick and injuired, not assist in their creation. If we have to worry about doctors helping to kill people and spread terror, we're much worse off than I thought. Now, it's time to start worrying!

Tim

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Ghost,
yes you are right it may very well be time to start worrying. I think it was Sherlock Holmes who said, something to the effect, it is the worst when doctors go bad. Such examples are OBL top deputy who is a doctor, and who is being blamed for coming up with the terror cell concept. Also doctor Mengela. I could come up with one or two others.

So on this I agree with Holmes, it is the worst when doctors go bad.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
Doctors supporting terror! Ok, now I'm really stating to worry about the direction of this country. I was under the impression that an MD is supposed to help the sick and injuired, not assist in their creation. If we have to worry about doctors helping to kill people and spread terror, we're much worse off than I thought. Now, it's time to start worrying!

Tim
That's an empty argument. The doctor could have fulfilled his professional obligation by treating them and then calling the police. His act of treating them alone was not giving aid to terrorism. Treating them and sending them on their way was giving such aid. It's far from time to worry; that alarmist attitude undermines the facts of the case and argues that we should allow our doctors to treat criminals and then protect them from the police.

[edit on 5/24/2007 by Togetic]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
That's an empty argument. The doctor could have fulfilled his professional obligation by treating them and then calling the police. His act of treating them alone was not giving aid to terrorism. Treating them and sending them on their way was giving such aid. It's far from time to worry; that alarmist attitude undermines the facts of the case and argues that we should allow our doctors to treat criminals and then protect them from the police.

[edit on 5/24/2007 by Togetic]

Togeic,

I wasn't arguing that he wasn't supporting terror by sending the terrorist on his way. I was only saying that when our medical people, such as doctors, start aiding terrorists, we need to start worrying.

As I said, doctors are supposed to help the sick and injured not create them by helping terrorist. No offense, but I think you misunderstood the intent of what I wrote. It's not the doctor getting in trouble that bugs me (he deserved to get arrested), I'm worried that a doctor of all people would do something so dangerous!

Tim

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Wow, I am totally sorry. I misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't read closely enough. Please accept my apologies.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No sweat Togetic!

We all have moments where we misunderstand the intentions of others. It just part of life.

Tim

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

The impression I got was that this doctor said he would support the terror group with his medical skills. That could take on many different forms. Medical treatment would only one form of support.

OK, let's see if I got this right. He was convicted on what he "would do" not what he had done? Sounds a little like Minority Report to me.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think one needs to turn this around if the charge was a doctor who would only give medical care to those who support terrorism against the USA then ok, but this doctor did not. This is guilty by association, doctors tend the sick full stop, this person did not stop to ask if his patient was a terrorist or supported them he did the job he was paid to do.

I'm afraid America is turning into a full blown despotic country and one wonders how soon it will be before certain groups are told they cannot work, send their kids to school or receive welfare, methinks this has all been done before and I wonder where.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I think one needs to turn this around if the charge was a doctor who would only give medical care to those who support terrorism against the USA then ok, but this doctor did not. This is guilty by association, doctors tend the sick full stop, this person did not stop to ask if his patient was a terrorist or supported them he did the job he was paid to do.
That's not entirely true. He heard the patients expressing their support for Al Qaeda. He also heard that they would be going back overseas. He was not just helping some people who wandered into his office; that's the difference in this case.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Oh my god he listened to some one, what thats a crime in the US now, so could watching the TV be a crime, could listening to foreign politics be a crime.

Wake up and smell the coffee, the same line was sold to the German population and many others, do you get the picture.

top topics

join