It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the LDS Church be considered a type of secret society?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Im from Utah, the most mormon rampant place on Earth, and though my opinion of them is not a fond one, the mormons are far from being a "secret society" some of their practices are strange, but by no means are they trying to rule the world. Many people have ridiculous false notions about them. Mormons are regular people just like me or you.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I can't consider them a secret society; the way they act is kind of like one; they do think they are better than everyone else. I'm related to some and thats the impression I get; I'm an outsider. They are definatly a different breed of people.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisJr03
I can't consider them a secret society; the way they act is kind of like one; they do think they are better than everyone else. I'm related to some and thats the impression I get; I'm an outsider. They are definatly a different breed of people.

I definetly know that feeling! Not all of them, but some...ok, many of them, have a superior adittude towards people who are not mormon. Some go as far as to think that if your not one of them, your not going to heaven. I try to be forgiving, afterall its just what their taught and some just dont know any better.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This is my first post so bare with me. I personally am missionary baptist (christian) and one of the questions that I have for mormons is why exactly is it that they are so secretive? Wouldn't it make more sense that if a person wanted others to really believe what that individual believed that they would be completely open to letting others observe (even if from a distance) what it is that the religion does? I know that as a christian, I am all for sharing EVERYTHING about what I believe and what the bible teaches. I believe that in order for another person to be saved that anyone should have a right to ask any question they want and it should be answered to the best of my ability with scripture as reference. I have always known mormonism to be a very "hush hush" religion. Why wouldnt they allow people to observe what it is that they believe?
As said earlier, im not trying to "down" mormons. Im just trying to better understand what it is that they believe. Anyone may feel free to respond... positive, negative, or indifferent.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ladarl

yeah, so what, a large conference center to house all the disillusioned momons for their semi-annual general conference and other meetings? What is wrong with that? It costs alot of money to build a huge, modern building. If you weren't so ignorant, you would stop in SLC and walk through the building. It is nothing fancy and nothing extravagent. Plain and functional.
next, the "prophet" didn't build the San Diego Temple. it was dedicated in 1993, before President Hinckley. it is a unique design, but Temples are considered to be the house of God. We build the best for the house of God. Probably difficult for you to understand.

lots of gimmicks, eh? Until you're broke? funny that the church doesn't ask for any more than 10%, which isn't even asked for by the church but God himself (read Malachi, if you can find it)

yes, I was married in the Temple 11 years ago. San Diego, in fact. What you said is patently false and proves your ignorance.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

False. Young Mormons are not "required" to have anything to do with Boy Scouts. It is encouraged because of the values BSA instills and those values are perfectly parallel to church teachings, but a young man does not have to participate in BSA to be a good mormon kid.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by c2whimjlud
This is my first post so bare with me. I personally am missionary baptist (christian) and one of the questions that I have for mormons is why exactly is it that they are so secretive? Wouldn't it make more sense that if a person wanted others to really believe what that individual believed that they would be completely open to letting others observe (even if from a distance) what it is that the religion does? I know that as a christian, I am all for sharing EVERYTHING about what I believe and what the bible teaches. I believe that in order for another person to be saved that anyone should have a right to ask any question they want and it should be answered to the best of my ability with scripture as reference. I have always known mormonism to be a very "hush hush" religion. Why wouldnt they allow people to observe what it is that they believe?
As said earlier, im not trying to "down" mormons. Im just trying to better understand what it is that they believe. Anyone may feel free to respond... positive, negative, or indifferent.

We believe in modern day prophets. Because of this, we believe the heavens are not closed and that God most certainly communicates with men He chooses. because of this belief, we believe that it isn't up to us but rather God to choose what he reveals about His Temples. He has told us not to talk about Temple ordinances due to their sacredness. If that's what he wants, thats what we do. We believe God reveals to his prophets on a regular basis what he wants man to do. Because of this belief, we believe that God can do whatever He wants to further his work on the earth.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
My opinion, and just my opinion, is that they are a secrey society. When an established group of people with common beliefs perform rituals in secrecy, and take oaths to not divulge these secret oaths, that makes them a secret society. Call it sacred all you want, it still fits perfectly well with secrecy. Secrecy by any other name is still secrecy.
Also, it should go without saying, but I realize that mormons are common people, duh, but common people are the targets of brain washing. My questions are how in in the world can mormons believe what they believe? They have some unbelieable claims. Jesus visited the U.S. The claim about indians. They made additions to the word which is excluisve to mormons. None of this is biblical. It's all mormonism, which I believe is a Masonic creation.
My advise, take it for what it's worth, is get the hell out of it. There are too many mormonistic taboos that are inconsistent with the word of god, which makes them a creation of man. Those who can understand the previous statement, perticularly, "a creation of man", are the ones I am talking too. Let's not get into "the bible is a creation of man" beliefs right now because to put it simply, it is not, it is divine inspiration.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have been posting here several years now and do not post very often, but when I do its because I feel shamed because of the ignorance of mankind. Many improvements have been made to the web page. However, it seems that grossly maligned ignorance still prevails rampantly here. I would think in this age of super enlightenment, people will research the facts rather than making assumptions based of net trash.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join