It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denver Zoo Monkey Dies of Plague

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This isnt necessarily a sign of an epidemic or anything of that sort, as incidents of the plague occasionally break out according to the article.
I have to admit though, a few years ago I was kind of amazed that it still occurs, especially in the US. Its said to be easily treated with antibiotics.

DENVER — A capuchin monkey at the Denver Zoo has died of plague and officials are trying to prevent an epidemic by isolating the primates and treating them with antibiotics.

Zoo officials learned late Friday that the 8-year-old animal that died Wednesday tested positive for the flea-borne disease, according to a zoo statement.

More than a dozen squirrels and at least one rabbit have been found dead of plague in the City Park area just east of downtown, which includes a golf course, the zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature of Science.

The monkey, which was acting lethargic, was found dead by a zookeeper. Zoo veterinarian Dr. David Kenny suspects the primate ate the carcass of an infected dead squirrel.

Plague is common in Colorado during this time of year, but it usually occurs in rural parts of the state, where it's sometimes discovered when entire prairie dog colonies die off.

"We see it every year in wild rodents," said state health department epidemiologist John Pape. "But it's uncommon circulating in tree squirrels in urban neighborhoods, including metro Denver."

Source Story

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Here's a website concerning Bubonic plague and its incidence in the US.

Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions: 1) northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado; and 2) California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hey Grady, thanks for the link.. Hard to believe this was one of, if not THE biggest killers in all of history.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The millennium is still young, give it time. A lot of these diseases that we thought we had beat, are slowly making a come back, and we are not keeping up. This is just one of them.

I say it's making a come back, cause 2 strains have become drug resistant. However other diseases have become drug resistant and I think there are many others that are more of a concern for the regular population.

join