It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA approves first pill meant to end periods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The first birth-control pill meant to put a stop to women’s monthly periods indefinitely won federal approval Tuesday.

Called Lybrel, it’s the first such pill to receive Food and Drug Administration approval for continuous use. When taken daily, the pill can halt women’s menstrual periods indefinitely and prevent pregnancies.

The pill isn’t for everyone, an FDA official said. About half the women enrolled in studies of Lybrel dropped out, said Dr. Daniel Shames, a deputy director in the FDA’s drugs office. Many did so because of the irregular and unscheduled bleeding and spotting that can replace scheduled menstruation.

In recent years, as the hormone content of birth-control pills has dipped, failure rates have climbed. The FDA is considering whether to establish an acceptable failure rate for the pills. In January, a panel of agency advisers said less-effective birth-control pills should still merit federal approval if they promise other benefits, including improved safety.

Source

I dont know about this drug. As much as a hate periods and they ruin my life for about a week every month, it is has its benefits. It lets you know that you are normal, healthy, and best of all not pregnant.Something about stopping or even reducing the frequency just seems wrong and might to more harm to your body then good. I know in the article it mentions that it could prevent headaches and cramping and such...well why dont they work on pills that can better ease these side-effects of menstruation instead of ending it all together think that only women who should even consider this are those who have horribly difficult period. Also I dont think the article mentions but what affect will this have if you take them, and then stop to have children...Do you have to wait an extended amount of time.

--> I know that the majority of this forum is composed of men but I'm sure at least a couple of you have thoughts on the subject. I am interested to know what the other females on this board think as well.

new topics

join