It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if there are almost 7 billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I dont understand how some of us dont have "Powers" or be Mutants
It sounds kinda cheesyto say Powers but i cant think of a better word.
or maybe we have them we just dont know how to access them.

Anyone ever think this?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this in Skunk Works.

As far as "powers", I can name a few. Maybe not SUPER, but they can be
noticed.
As a mechanic for around 20 years, I've seen some people that understand systems better than others. As I say, they just "get it".

I've known a young guy fresh out of high-school that "got" hydraulic
systems. He could see a hyd. schematic and follow it in his head. Turned
out to be an awesome mechanic.

Myself, I "get" electronics. Schematics are an easy map for me to follow.
Chasing spark is a passion of mine.

Are these "powers" ? I don't know. Maybe some just see things a bit
differently than others.

Just my 2 cent,
Lex

Edit for a speeling eeror.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by Lexion]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone address this "natural" ability. I was in the Commercial/Military Aircraft & Component Business for 30 years. While I was formally trained in the Electrical/Electronic side of field, I have always had the "gift" of being able to "see" the problem in Mechanical, Hydraulic & Pneumatic systems almost immediately. I had to curb my ability early on as it made co-workers & subordinates feel "stupid". I was lucky enough to team up with a guy who had this same ability with electrical systems. We worked so well together that we would seldom need to speak while addressing malfunctions in complex electro-mechanical systems. Not blowing my own horn by any means. I feel it is truly a gift and blessing from God. The only problem I have is frustration with people trained in their profession that can't see what is obvious to me.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by mizzu]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadXStop
I dont understand how some of us dont have "Powers" or be Mutants
It sounds kinda cheesyto say Powers but i cant think of a better word.
or maybe we have them we just dont know how to access them.

Two theories:
1. The 'super-powered' people you speak of are either hiding their powers, being 'silenced' by governments, shadowy organisations etc or are being wiped out (much like a genocide).

Now I'm highly critical of the aforementioned theory, however for now we will say that it is true.
You may say that 'well people will find out sooner or later', but we must remember that, if 'mutants' with such abilities existed, the social fabric of most socities would slowly crumble.

2. 'Super powers' as defined in comic books don't exist, or are currently inaccesible. However there are hundereds, perhaps thousands of 'lesser' abilities.

Look at the anecdotes above (if they are true).
Take Autistics Savants for an example. They often have several amazing abilties, such as the ability to remember the precise weather for every day for the last seven years or can completely replicate any musical tune they hear.
However, in most cases, these 'gifts' come at great social, mental and occasionally physical cost. Many are what would currently be labelled 'mentally retarded' and maintain extremely limited social skills.
In one case one seven year old (I think) could paint, draw etc amazing artwork, though was completely unable to interract with other people. As her social skills developed however she slowly lost the ability to create such artpieces.
Then there's Daniel Tammet, who learnt Icelandic, the 'most' difficult language in the world, in a week.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think this Thread is on to somthing, I started a job in a Commercial Vehicle and Trailers shop, and in one week, I was already doing things with great ease that guys that have been there a decade had trouble with. My father said i just have oil in my viens. What i find really odd is that my brother, my father, his father, all are natrually good at mechanic work, without much training. Could this be genetic, or a real odd fluke?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Originally posted by mizzu

I had to curb my ability early on as it made co-workers & subordinates feel "stupid".

WOW !!! I've felt exactly the same way !
Only, I let it shine, and have become an un-official teacher in the shop.
But, I know where you are coming from, as far as others feeling
inferior.

I was lucky enough to team up with a guy who had this same ability with electrical systems. We worked so well together that we would seldom need to speak while addressing malfunctions in complex electro-mechanical systems.

Same here. Patrick and I both can "see" where a problem most likely
should exist and will go directly to it.
We've actually tested this by independently T/S'ing an electrical fault,
and coming to the same conclusion, without ever touching the machine.

Like you, I'm not blowing my own horn. Just relating an eerily similar
experience to yours.

Thanks for posting !

Lex

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I think the ability to understand mechanical, electrical systems etc comes from how we think. The brain is divided into two hemispheres; the left and right sides of the brain. People generally use one side of their brain more than the other. For example the left side of the brain is used for organising and ordering situations and problems, it is the side of the brain that allows us to look at at the whole problem logically and draw conclusions.

The right side of the brain allows us to think more intuitively and look at problems in sections rather than the whole big picture.

I belive that it is down to which parts of the brain we predominantely use that gives us the special ability in a particular subject matter. I don't think people that are good at certain areas are mutants as this has always been the case throughout history, different people are better at different things.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah, maybe people can not fly or have X-Ray vision, but some people are just born with amazing talents. Some people are just great in math, or science, others are born with amazing talents in sports. Or musicians; most people are not born with Hendrix-like talent. He was born with something special.

Maybe they do have superman-like abilities, but they have skills that others may not have.

[edit on 27/5/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Originally posted by GrimUK

Never thought of myself as a mutant, or really anyone special.
The OP just allowed me to express what I've come to accept in my
own abilities, and the abilities of others.

The right side of the brain allows us to think more intuitively and look at problems in sections rather than the whole big picture.

Whether this is the cause or not, it makes sense.
When I'm confronted with an electrical issue, I view it as a component,
and 2 wires.
The majority of others that I've worked with only see the system, and
complicate the issue.

I believe in the KISS rule.

Regards,
Lex

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Another related topic are those that are referred to as Indigo Children. Check it out as there are people that exclusively study this. Now I know I sound like a typical Daddy, but my daughter was EFFICIENTLY surfing the web at three years and at five, loves to sit at night and write story books! I was always a smart kid but nowhere near this! Perhaps it's the early exposure to so much technolegy or something. It's a really fascinating topic.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

[edit on 28-5-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Originally posted by Corbin Dalus

Another related topic are those that are referred to as Indigo Children.

I'm not a parent, so I can't relate to the obvious feelings of pride you
have.

But, are you suggesting that I, and others that have posted are included
in the "Indigo Children" ?

Something to ponder :

They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it).
They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others do not share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue; they often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).
They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.
They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and do not require creative thought.
They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (non-conforming to any system).
They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.
They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").
They are not shy in letting it be known what they need.

Here

I'm sorry, but an idea created in '99 simply can't apply to me.

Thanks for your input though.

Lex

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm sorry, no, I don't necessarily believe that term applies to you. I believe, in regards to what you describe, some of us just naturally lock-in to certain abilities. However, in the spirit of this topic, why no special sorts of people or mutants, there are those who claim that a new super breed of sorts, has begun to slowly enter the population through birth. This is far out of course, as is the post, but, MY understanding of Indigo Children, as I've heard them described, are children who have a much higher "fluid intelligence" (Psychology), learn more quickly, adapt better socially and have a broader grasp of this world, overall. I've also heard claim that these are a result of Alien seeding. The idea in either scenario is that they come for to prepare us for a new age or evolutionary development. Here's a site that better reflects my understanding of them: skepdic.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
everyone has some sort of power in them that they can tap into if they practice and want to bring it out

i consider astral projection to be a type of power

and remote viewing too

im sure there are many many more.. NLP, ESP.. you know?

just takes dedication and practice if you want to be able to use these powers to their fullest capabilities

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by biotic
everyone has some sort of power in them that they can tap into if they practice and want to bring it out

i consider astral projection to be a type of power

and remote viewing too

im sure there are many many more.. NLP, ESP.. you know?

just takes dedication and practice if you want to be able to use these powers to their fullest capabilities

Not to forget, turning the world to slow-motion in times of imminent danger, the ability to type faster than 800 keystrokes a minute with no errors at all, the ability to take much more injury than others, the ability to restore from wounds perfectly that would normally infect a person.

[edit on 3/6/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
as far as the mechanics go with some the mechanical aptitude is just there. i was that way. i was a mechanic before i got hurt. started out as a porter and climbed fast. i just understood how all of it worked.
strange that way. get into doing something that you never did before and you just bop along, this goes here, this does this, that does that...

i don't think it is a super power per say, just things that certain people excel at.

how can i take a car engine with no instructions and put it together but the next guy can't? how is it that there are musicians out there that have never been trained that are absolute virtuoso's?
savant's.

i think about this too as there are so many BAD mutations out there. people born with strange deformities. the little girl that had 'no face'. people with marfans syndrome that are 8 feet tall. we get people born with one arm or one of them damn baby arms, how come not some diesal arm or 3 arms or an arm you could tuck in?
i'd like to dig on some cool mutations. i'd like to be able to do some stuff. instead, you look like john merrick.
strange

top topics

join