It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

07 Snowbird,Blue Angels Crashes. Is the Tutor too old?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Snowbird Crash!!

I just overheard on the radio that one of the snowbirds crashed this weekend and the pilot was killed when the plane impacted the ground. It was the #2 snowbird and he had been with the team now for 2 years. My thoughts go out to his family and friends at too the team as well. Its going to be a very hard season for the team this year and I'm sure People are going to be calling on the goverment to cancell the team. My question that goes along with this news is what do you guys and gals think about demonstration teams? this is the 2nd death this year as the blue angels have already lost one pilot as well.
Canada_EH

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
sad news indeed

maybe its time to use CT-155 Hawk or some surplus CF-18 Hornets.
in that case the hawks are leased and there wouldnt be surplus hornets anyway.

i would think the tutors would be imaculate anyway??

The professionism and honour to serve in a aerobatic team the aircraft
would be in awesome shape and WELL looked after.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thats the thing Jezza, I dont think the CT-114's are in bad shape at all. All CT-114's were retired about 2 years ago and a number where stored so that the snowbirds will have spares etc. Also the fact that they never miss a show due to mechanical troubles.

The CF-188 replacment idea won't work because we are short enough on parts etc for our Hornets and we are only have about 80 active. Also as u mentioned the Ct-115 Hawk is only on lease so there would be problems with trying to use them for our tema unless we bought some. Either way I think something needs to be looked at the time on those airframes is high and if the frame is found at any fault for this crash there is going to be an up roar.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Crashes happen, and they'll continue to happen. These guys push the planes hard, and sometimes the planes push back. But they do so much good that it would be ridiculous to cancel flight teams over a couple of incidents. These guys know that crashes are a risk, and they still take the chance. I'm not trying to sound heartless here, and I always feel bad when the crashes happen, but the good of these teams FAR outweighs the risk of crashes.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Oh ... that's sad. We just lost a Blue Angel a couple of months ago.
We love to watch them, but we dont' go to the airshows because it
can be so dangerous.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
but we dont' go to the airshows because it
can be so dangerous.

So can being out in the Sun too long

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I await the outcome of the investigation which may take one year.
His fiance just had her birthday this weekend and they were to be married next month.

Thats pretty sad, so I said a prayer for her and his family.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

Originally posted by FlyersFan
but we dont' go to the airshows because it
can be so dangerous.

So can being out in the Sun too long

Canada, I understand your point and see where FF is coming from, but add this...

Yes, But I can choose to use sunblock and wear long sleeves and hats, sunglasses etc, to help protect me from the Sun.

At an airshow, what protection do you have other than putting your trust in the pilots of the planes that everything will be okay?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Actually at North American airshows there are quite a few rules that keep you safe. For example, they can't perform maneuvers heading towards the crowd, and they try to do most of their maneuvers away from crowds.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
maybe its time to use CT-155 Hawk or some surplus CF-18 Hornets.
in that case the hawks are leased and there wouldnt be surplus hornets anyway.

Actually I was thinking of poking looks at some of the F-5 Freedom Fighters (CF-116s) that Canada had bought. I don't know about the shape that these aircraft are in, and I don't know how they compare to the Tutors, but TBH I think they are a lot more attractive and just look more agile than the Tutors. The only thing is, I don't know how many we have, the state of maintenance, and the overall feasibility of their use. Heck, I don't even know if we still have them. But the idea is nice.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The accidents that took the lives of a member of the Blue Angels and Snowbirds are tragic reminders that however skilled and dedicated these pilots may be, flying is not a risk free activity.

The care and attention to detail that is taken with teams' aircraft is second to none, given the exacting and highly stressful lives these planes endure. Simply swapping them for newer types will not eliminate the risks.

I hope both teams have successful seasons and look forward to seeing the Blue ANgels (again) later this year.

KW

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Airshows are invaluable for continued and sustained voluntary recruits for the Air Force(and Navy).

They a the single most primary/popular reason that pilots cite as being the initial motivation to join.
The things that an airshow does to a kid's head, esp the first one he/she see's : longlasting and sometimes life-altering.

Airshows cannot stop and hence aerobatic teams cannot either.
The longevity of the manned pilot arm of Air Forces depend on it!

EDIT: My condolences to the pilots family and friends..

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Actually I was thinking of poking looks at some of the F-5 Freedom Fighters (CF-116s) that Canada had bought. I don't know about the shape that these aircraft are in, and I don't know how they compare to the Tutors, but TBH I think they are a lot more attractive and just look more agile than the Tutors. The only thing is, I don't know how many we have, the state of maintenance, and the overall feasibility of their use. Heck, I don't even know if we still have them. But the idea is nice.

Guess what? I know where they are lol. CFB mountain view is an airbase thats about an hour out of Trenton driving. They looked to be in good shape. I heard about Turkey looking at them but they desided againest them. Its a neat idea but one that I dont think is feasable.

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Another article on the crash this time from flight global. Not sure when we are going to hear any new information on what happened though. It all seems pretty vague and seeing as this happened during a practise again and not infront of a show like the Blue Angels crash there is the lack of footage to study etc.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Finally after searching all day found some more information on the crash.

was killed after his jet crashed at approximately 3:45 p.m. on the south end of the base’s main runway.

Eye witness reports stated that McCaughey was coming out of the Heart Maneuver when one his wings started to malfunction. One second later, the jet had crashed into the ground.

Found the information on a neat Canadian Aviation site I've been visiting recently.
www.aviation.ca...

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well they have launched the invesigation so we will see where we get in a years time with this. They are bringing in a numbe rof top invesigators in preision flying and the like so there will be no sortage of good brain power from the sounds of it.

The team will collect and analyze the evidence from the accident to determine the cause and contributing factors in order to make recommendations to prevent a recurrence. Additionally, four advisors with specialties in fields of law, medicine, media relations and air operations training will assist the BOI team.

www.forces.gc.ca...

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Just in the interest of keeping people updated the Snowbirds have resumed their season as of this week/weekend. (infact may be seeing them on sat or sunday)

The Canadian Forces Snowbirds are honoured to resume their 37th Air Show season June 20 in Owen Sound, Ontario, and to continue their tradition of excellence as proud ambassadors of the Canadian Forces and Canada.

During the 2007 season, the team will perform in about 40 air shows as well as community, school, and hospital visits.

"The 2007 season is dedicated to the memory of Captain Shawn McCaughey, a talented pilot, dedicated officer and wonderful friend," said Major Mitchell. "I am extremely proud of our team's professionalism and dedication - we are ready to resume our mission."

www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca...

I wish these guys luck with the rest of their season after lossing a friend and hope for safe flying. For now the tutor will stay but how long?

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
An update to a sad story. CBC is reporting the pilot's seat belt came undone or somehow failed while upside down. A link to the CBC story.

Vic

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

According to reports released Vic it sounds like the belt came loose during the practise and McCaughey was thrown from his seat so wasn't incontrol when the plane impacted and would of been able to eject ince he wasn't even in the seat. A strap malfunction I doubt is the planes age.... Unless it was a matter of the loops that strap pulls on failing to keep the strap tight. either way is still sad. I'll be seeing the birds on the last Sat of Aug in Toronto, hope its a safe show. Whats you take on the possible need for replacement aircraft Vic?

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If Canada was to replace the Tutor... I would suppose the CF-18 would be the logical choice. My personal preference would be a prop-job though - likely a Sukoi aerobatics "special". I really enjoy aerobatics displays and jets while entertaining don't place in the same league as prop-flight (for me). Given a "dream list" of aircraft... P-51's or Spitfires would be my pick. I too will be on the waterfront at the CNE.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 20-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join