It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother gets Serious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
In a national (UK tabloid) newspaper today, the following was reported:

DOCTORS, charity workers and council staff may be required to tip off cops about anyone they suspect could commit a violent crime, under leaked plans.

Danger signs may include a violent family history, heavy drinking or mental health problems.

Two new agencies — one for potential crooks and one for potential victims — would gather information under the secret Home Office proposal.

But civil rights group Liberty slammed the plan, saying: “How far are we willing to go in pursuit of the unrealistic promise of a risk-free society?”

The Sun
www.thesun.co.uk...

To me, this seems a tad extreme, but I need to do some more research on it before I go into it further.

In the meantime,
thoughts anyone?

A couple more links:
www.guardian.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 22-5-2007 by budski]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, budski. However, there is an existing thread on this topic.

Secret plans to turn staff into police informers

Please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

closed.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This kinda reminds me of that Tom Cruise movie where they arrest and imprison people before the crime is actually commited.

But it can't be a wholly bad thing. If they are serious about helping (note key word helping) people - both potential criminals and victims - then this can only be a step forward.

EDIT: So does this mean that I'm the first ATS member to reply after a thread is closed? I heard there was a 50, 000 point prize lurking around somewhere . . .

[edit on 22/5/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

new topics

join