It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female masons?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I read a book recently that said there where female freemasons, in lodges for women only and also in coed lodges. Is this legit? How did it come about?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigred1000
I read a book recently that said there where female freemasons, in lodges for women only and also in coed lodges. Is this legit? How did it come about?

Yes, there are female and co-ed lodges around the world. However, they are not considered legitimate, nor are they recognized by orthodox Freemasonry.

One of the more popular female rites is Le Droit Humaine. Also Women's Freemasonry USA.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by Masonic Light]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The most commonly mentioned organization for Female Masons in the Order of the Eastern Star. Youth Group wise an example would be Rainbow Girls (the male version being the Order of Demolay).

Female Masons are common throughout Continental Europe, especially in France. But as Masonic Light said they are not recognized as legitimate/ regular in American Masonry specifically on the basis that Male Lodges do not admit women in the U.S.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
here in the US, Eastern Star is a Masonic group for women, however there are still no women Masons - just women taking part in a masonic group.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
To be a Mason means to be a man.
A woman who calls herself a Mason is like me calling myself a Grandmother. You cant be Grandmother without being a woman, you cant be a Mason without being a man.

It is not just the U.S. that doesnt recognise female Masons. Most Grand Lodges in other countries dont as well...except France...need I say more ?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RWPBR

It is not just the U.S. that doesnt recognise female Masons. Most Grand Lodges in other countries dont as well...except France...need I say more ?

The National Grand Lodge of France (which is regular) does not recognize female Masons. Nor do the other two large (but irregular) bodies: the Grand Lodge of France and Grand Orient of France.

In other words, the only people in France who recognize female Masons are...well....the female Masons.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
somewhat off-topic: what makes the grand orient of france irregular? It actually doubles as an international Mason museum.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

The National Grand Lodge of France (which is regular) does not recognize female Masons. Nor do the other two large (but irregular) bodies: the Grand Lodge of France and Grand Orient of France.

In other words, the only people in France who recognize female Masons are...well....the female Masons.

Good point !

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
somewhat off-topic: what makes the grand orient of france irregular? It actually doubles as an international Mason museum.

I believe the main reason is that they admit Atheists.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79

I believe the main reason is that they admit Atheists.

That's it in a nutshell.

The Roman Catholic Church, a powerful force in France, has always claimed that Masonry is a religion due to its requirement that candidates profess a belief in a Supreme Being. The Grand Orient thought that they would placate the Church and end their persecution by removing that requirement.

They were of course wrong, but this removal has changed the character of Grand Orient "Masonry". Its rituals are now different from ours, along with other things.

They are still a good organization, and do a lot of good things, but they are not "Freemasonry" in the classical sense.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
These female lodges (clandestine) in France, do they have the same ritual? I can't imagine a female taking the same obligation as a male.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

These female lodges (clandestine) in France, do they have the same ritual? I can't imagine a female taking the same obligation as a male.

Yes (more or less), not only in France, but worldwide. There are as many, if not more, female lodges in the USA as there are in France.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Help me understand the thinking here.......If they have the OES, Amaranth, White Shrine, Jobs Daughters, Circle of Perfection, Rainbow, LOS, DOI, and other female appendant bodies....why the pressing desire to become Masons ? And how can they claim legitimacy, if the landmarks that we are built upon clearly state that the qualifications are "being a MAN, free born, of lawful age and well recommended, professing a belief in a supreme being".....dont get me wrong I love women, and I'm sure this is what the anti's love to use for their personal attacks and male/homo insinuations on here, but what is so wrong with a Men only organization and what prompts any lady to want to infiltrate it or mock it ?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceHall06
but what is so wrong with a Men only organization and what prompts any lady to want to infiltrate it or mock it ?

Don't know. But for those interested, here are some photos of lady Masons in Masonic regalia:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
WOW !!!!!! I dont know whether to laugh or cry

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The only aprons women should wear is the one in the kitchen !

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The only aprons women should wear is the one in the kitchen !

Brother, you are insane.........HONEST AND CORRECT........but insane !!!
U better stop making jokes before we get in trouble and get a warning about these naughty posts

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Wow, I am at a loss for words! My question is this, did the rise of female "masons" in the United States parallel the womens lib movement? from the 1960's?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Wow, I am at a loss for words! My question is this, did the rise of female "masons" in the United States parallel the womens lib movement? from the 1960's?

Nope, the Order of the Eastern Star was created in the 1850's. A traditional French Lodge was the first to admit a female in 1882, but it was subsequently disbanded. The Feminine Grand Lodge of France was first constituted in 1952 though.

That being said, there are reports of women being admitted to male lodges since the early 1700's for various reasons.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceHall06
Help me understand the thinking here.......If they have the OES, Amaranth, White Shrine, Jobs Daughters, Circle of Perfection, Rainbow, LOS, DOI, and other female appendant bodies....why the pressing desire to become Masons ? And how can they claim legitimacy, if the landmarks that we are built upon clearly state that the qualifications are "being a MAN, free born, of lawful age and well recommended, professing a belief in a supreme being".....dont get me wrong I love women, and I'm sure this is what the anti's love to use for their personal attacks and male/homo insinuations on here, but what is so wrong with a Men only organization and what prompts any lady to want to infiltrate it or mock it ?

Hey PH. I agree with you whole heartedly. It reminds me of the story here in Canada where a women pushed to be accepted into a private Mens Club. It hit the media and eventually the club conceded and let her in, only to find it was just an old boys club who sat around, drank cognac, smoked cigars and complained about the weather. Shortly after that, a young fellow tried to join a ladies only fitness club, citing the above precedent, but was shot down in flames. It seems people just want to be where they arent allowed sometimes.

Just my 2Cents worth

Dredz

<<   2 >>

join