It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20+ Years old news report about strange hole in ground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This old news clip about a hole made in the ground and dropped over 70ft away. I found it pretty interesting.

www.youtube.com...

I have never heard of anything like this, but could it have been due to being located near a fault line??

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It does seem weird. Good find. Wonder what did cause it.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It was the gremlins.

those little troublemakers...

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thats cool, never heard of that type of phenomenon. Maybe a tornado?
Magnetic anomonly? Or maby that plug of dirt almost got away but got caught.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartanghost
It was the gremlins.

those little troublemakers...

seems like your a new member, if you have nothing positive to contribute to a thread then do not post anything.

Very weird, at first I thought they were talking about mel's hole which is also located in washington.

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Revelmonk]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i always figured laughs were a positive thing... or is humor disallowed on this forum?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Spartangost, although humour is not disallowed on the forums please take note that this is primarily for serious disucssions on conspiracy and alternative topics, if you feel the need to make humourous comments then please also add something of value to the post.

Decypher, interesting find. Not sure what it could have been, perhaps some sort of compressed gas was caught beneath the earth and it finally blew when the nearby earthquake agitated it?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm not able to watch the video at work. This sounds like a sink hole to me. Do they have any ideas what caused it?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
I'm not able to watch the video at work. This sounds like a sink hole to me. Do they have any ideas what caused it?
\

Sinkholes don't spit out the earth in one solid piece, they just collapse into the empty void below them. A sinkhole doesn't explain the material on the surface.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm not at home, and I'm surfing the web on my dad's very very slow dialup. Video is impossible. Is there some link to a news story? Is there a site mentioned that we might google?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Grim, I like that. It does look like gas blew it out of the ground. Which gives me another idea. Is it possible somebody put a heavy duty firecracker under ground and lit it. Not sure how all the dirt stayed together as a plug though. Looks like a little explosion.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Really great find decypher, that is very odd. I have never heard of anything like that happening before.

Can anyone find any follow up links for that story? I looked and I can't find anything. I would love to read if they ever figured out how it happend. I wonder if they took any samples of the dirt to find out what if any chemicals where present.

Great find!

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Maby storm/electricity from other side of earth. What on other side?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi Byrd,

Originally posted by Byrd
I'm not at home, and I'm surfing the web on my dad's very very slow dialup. Video is impossible. Is there some link to a news story? Is there a site mentioned that we might google?

Cookie Cutter Phenomenon

Washington State's Mystery Hole by Greg Long
February 15, 1996 Located on the internet: www.sokolblosser.com... [This link doesn't work for me -Rren]

Fred Timm owns a farm on the Colville Indian Reservation in northeastern Washington. Nothing notable had happened on the farm for a month during the wheat harvest which had begun in mid-September of 1984. However, a small earthquake, 3.0 on the Richter scale did occur on October 9, 1984, at 8:24 p.m. But that event was far away, 20 miles to the southwest of the Timm farm.

[...]

The hole was 10 feet long and 7 feet wide and roughly pear-shaped. The north end of the hole was about one-and-a-half feet deep; the south end was two feet deep. Curious, the men dismounted and studied the hole and then looked around on foot. Seventy-three feet northwest of the hole was a huge chunk of earth shaped like the hole. The chunk of earth had been deposited largely intact with a counterclockwise rotation of about 20 degrees in relation to the hole. There was a scattering of fingernail-size soil particles, like "dribblings," occasionally found on the ground across the 73-foot distance.

[...]

"It had vertical walls and a fairly flat bottom. It was almost as though it had been cut out with a giant cookie cutter." The estimated weight of the chunk of topsoil was 3 tons! But the massive "divot" of soil did not appear to have been cut out of the ground. There was no sign of shearing of the soil. Dangling from the walls of the cavity were roots of vegetation, not cut, but torn. The block of earth did not appear to have been dragged or rolled.

Nice find, decypher.

Regards

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I realized the ground looks frozen. Makes me think it was a earthquake that created that now. Seems logical.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
yes but sismilogical data would say otherwise, so it remains a mystery

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stari

Can anyone find any follow up links for that story? I looked and I can't find anything. I would love to read if they ever figured out how it happened. I wonder if they took any samples of the dirt to find out what if any chemicals where present.

Great find!

This a diagram that someone drew up. I have been searching for any other info about this crazy hole thing, and this is all I have found so far

www.science-frontiers.com...

I will keep lookin around

[edit on 12-6-2007 by decypher]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Looking at the video with all the snow, thinking frozen seems logical. Yet, it would be unlikely that a hard freeze would penetrate two feet of earth. The entire 'chunk' would have to be frozen solid for this to happen.

Another odd thing is that the piece of dirt remained in one piece. If ejected high enough in the air to travel that far, the weight would have shattered it on normal impact, frozen or not, I would think. It appears to have been deposited rather gently at the new location.

Also, wouldn't most any 'explosive' event have shaped the hole differently, with the sides more funnel like? Also, one would think that an explosion would have shattered the frozen dirt, and not left it intact.

top topics

join