It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Advertising in magazines is based on the fact that under any circumstances, you store more information in a fraction of a second--and are influenced by it--than you are ever consciously aware of.

www.poleshift.org...

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I heard that Coke in the 80's used to splice the logo in every couple of frames during the commercials. Running at 36fps it was too fast to pick up consciously.
It was banned not because the subliminal effects but because it triggered epilepsy.

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Being in advertising myself, I can attest that 98% of the material on that site is either crap or misinformed assumptions.

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by William
Being in advertising myself, I can attest that 98% of the material on that site is either crap or misinformed assumptions.

It's a poor debunking attempt William. You're a mod or a debunker ?

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There was far too much hooey on the site.

Give me one of you favorite examples of their "subliminal" mind control and I'll point out the flaws in their reasoning. How's that?

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 03:17 PM
link   

1) There was far too much hooey on the site.

2) Give me one of you favorite examples of their "subliminal" mind control

1) What's a " hooey "?

2) NO ! I'm pretty sure that you'll debunk it.

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So... you're worried I might be right?

posted on Nov, 27 2002 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There have been many studies on subliminal advertising, and all of them show it isn't effective.

In fact, the original data to show that it was effective was faked.

posted on Nov, 28 2002 @ 01:01 AM
link   

So... you're worried I might be right?

Who knows really ?

P.S : What's a " hooey " ?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
There have been many studies on subliminal advertising, and all of them show it isn't effective.

In fact, the original data to show that it was effective was faked.
if that were true then why did the fcc feel the need to rule that "broadcasts employing such techniques are contrary to the public interest.' in 1974.
despite that ruling.. to this day their are no laws against it.. but the idea that it is not effective is a myth perpetuated by the industry to keep the level of outrage down and prevent us from standing against it.

truth is.. subliminal ads have gotten more advanced over the past 30 years and those studies are no longer an accurate assessment of the techniques being used today.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I think the site overplays the examples they are giving.

A lot of the examples are just showing how advertisers use sex to sell - Which we all know, it's not really a huge conspiracy: Phallic objects, suggestive glances, this is something we're all more than accustomed to these days.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by VelvetSplash]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

There was far too much hooey on the site.

Give me one of you favorite examples of their "subliminal" mind control and I'll point out the flaws in their reasoning. How's that?

haaa haaa... he said Hooey! I haven't heard that one in a long time.

For you young'ns out there HOOEY

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
then you should try seen the liminal and obvious messages!

For example (some you may recognize):

Twix - "Two for me, none for you"
Lesson: Greed.

Just about any beer commercial.
Lesson: Lust. (And if your married, adultery)

Dominos "Who's that at the door?" "No-one honey!"
Lesson: Lying.

"I better hide so the kids don't steal me lucky charms!"
"Barney, (don't steal) my fruity pebbles!"
Lesson: Hording and stealing.

"I better disguise myself to get some trix!"
Lesson: Deception

Lesson: Ego, status, materialism, better than heaven?

I could go on for days. If you don't think that's influential, think about 10 minutes of commercials for every 1/2 hour show. 10 x 48 (half-hour shows in a day = 480 minutes = 8 hours of this stuff per day!
Would anyone care to listen to me for 8 hours a day? How influential do you think that is?

[edit on 20-10-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
saint4god's got a good point.

We all know repitition works, why do you think all the radio commercials repeat the phone number 3 times at the end of the commercial - so you dont remember it? Why do radio stations play the same hit song 4,000 times a day? (might be less than 4,000
So you go out and buy a whole cd to hear the one song you can hear everytime you turn on your radio.
Why are there food advertisements before a movie? Why do commercials during the super bowl cost so much? Beacause advertising so totally ineffective? Of course not. Its a proven way to get people to do something/spend money on something.
Anyone ever notice how commercials are so much louder than the show your watching? So when you get up to go to the bathroom you can still hear it in the background. If you go to the mall you see so many billboards and signs and windows full of pictures, and you arnt aware of it but they all get in your brain.
We all know advertising is a tool to adjust how we think about certain target things. They tell us how to live. You dont go out and buy clothes you want, in most cases you buy whats available. Why are so many girls dressing like little whores? Because some very rich guys at the head of clothing companys are only making sluttly clothes available. Unless we all made our own clothes theres nothing we can do. They set the trends and then tell us over and over again that its what we wanted in the first place.
All commercials become subliminal when we arnt consciously looking at them, as well as all bilboards and signs. It may be right out in the open but its still an unwanted intrusion.
As far as actual subliminal messages theres little reason to doubt that it happenes sometimes, maybe as a joke put in by the computer graphics guys. If your ever seen those "funniest commercial" shows you've seen the commercials where the shape of a naked lady appears in ice cream. That really happenes every now and then. Maybe not all the time, although its certainly possible to be constantly transmitting a signal to every person in the united states with some subliminal message like in the movie They Live.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I Must admit i've been suckered. Take for example browsing the shampoo aisle, I know the shampoo's professionals make are better for your hair, less chemicals and lighter liquids soften your hair and strengthen it, whereas store bought have more chemicals and weigh your hair down and don't repair anything. (i know cuz my sis is a hair dresser) but when I look at certain bottles I see flashes of commercials whizzing through my head. So I pick up herbal essences smell it and think wow thats really nice, and I picture myself in the shower like that one girl in the commercial making noises and smiling so much because it smells good
... yeah, i've been hooked a few times. But at least I know i'm being hooked, the imagination is such a wonderful thing and sometimes i dont mind being pumped full of stuff if i can invision myself in a situation that seems fun to me. Yeah the shower thing was pretty fun, my nose has a party evertime i open that bottle.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViolatoR
saint4god's got a good point.

Thanks ViolatoR, you've made a good point (albeit a bit stronger than I would've) and True Lies too, good testimony!

I wanted to start a company called Real-Life Marketing. You've seen the names for cat litter like - Kitten Fresh. Kitten Fresh? Who has every said, "man that's a fresh cat!" after the cat stepping out of the litterbox? I'd like to make a litter called Stanky Kat. My slogan would be, "If you have a stanky cat, you NEED Stanky Kat!"

Step aside Charmin and Angel Soft, how about being a little more direct. "Buy new Butt-So-Soft, because let's face it folks, is there any other reason to buy toilet paper? Leave the quilting for your bed comforters."

I'd like to get a whole household line of products called Strong Bald Guy. "Are you stuck all day cleaning while you misogynistic husband insists you be the one to stay home? Get Strong Bald Guy cleaners and mattress!" (Hey, it worked for Mr. Clean and Mattress Giant)

Now....if I can only get a sponsor...anyone?

[edit on 24-10-2005 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

join