It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto Repair Co-op?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This may be a million dollar idea, then again there may be some serious flaws. I'm not a "car guy" and my expertise stops with adding fuel and oil and checking the tire pressure.

I was thinking (a dangerous pastime, for sure) that there ought to be a way for a motiviated person to get some up close assistance on do-it-yourself auto repairs.

How about a cooperative? A location whare as a member you can take your vehicle and for an hourly fee, have access to equipment and expertise to help with your own car repairs.

Maybe 12-15 bays or so, tools on site, and a mechanic to give you the "how to" info. Maybe you pay an up-front membership initiation fee and a small monthly retainer and for that you can reserve a spot in advance to work on your vehicle. All the tools would be there and available for use, and a mechanic on-site for advice. You'd pay a per-hour charge for space as you use it.

No need to have all the tools in your garage, no need to mess up your own garage and driveway.

Something like $50 to join, maybe $12/mo as an ongoing fee and an hourly rate of $15 to actually use the space, tools and mechanic advice.

Whaddya think? Feasible? Ever hear of this being done before, successfully or otherwise?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm not really seeing the business applications of this idea TBH. It would be a lot of up front cost with the fact that most new cars have onboard computers and that stuff is not cheap.

I have a very good system for getting things done - Their called friends, and friends or friends. Karma baby - Always make yourself available for a favour!! Works for me.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
I'm not really seeing the business applications of this idea TBH. It would be a lot of up front cost with the fact that most new cars have onboard computers and that stuff is not cheap.

Actually, the diagnostics aren't as expensive as you might think-
www.autotap.com...
All the more reason I get P'd off when some shop charges $100 to hook up for the diagnostic. By the way, here in the US, Auto Zone will do that for free.

I have a very good system for getting things done - Their called friends, and friends or friends. Karma baby - Always make yourself available for a favour!! Works for me.

Good point, but friends aren't always available, or have the necessary tools & expertise, unless you just so happen to have a gearhead for a friend. Excellent points though. Thanks for the response. I'm not convinced it's a bad idea. Yet.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The Marine Corps used to have these facilities on base, so it's not exactly a new idea to have such a facility, although I've never heard of a civilian co-op for such.

Cars aren't so easy to work on as they once were and even preventive maintenance requires considerable equipment and sometime considerable contortionist skills.

I would think there might be a market for such, but there would be considerable initial investment and overhead to take into consideration.

Personally, I think that it would be a good idea for folks to have their own wrenches and such, because they're so easy to walk off with and instead have lifts, computers, balancing and alignment machines, timing lights, and the like. Anyone who's serious about car repair and maintenance should be willing to spend a grand or two on good tools.

Having a mechanic on the staff is a good idea, but for the most part such a facility would appeal most to hard core do-it-yourselfers and not a bunch of ham-handed penny-pinchers.

[edit on 2007/5/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
... for the most part such a facility would appeal most to hard core do-it-yourselfers and not a bunch of ham-handed penny-pinchers.

Hey! I resemble that remark! I can squeeze a penny until Lincoln's eyes water.

It just "seems" like a good idea. Especially in an urban setting with significant population in apartments etc and no way to do their own wrenching.

On the other hand, if it was a doable good idea, someone would probably already be doing it. Not that I have the inclination or resources to start it up. I'm just the idea guy. I just throw 'em out there.

new topics

top topics

join