It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is Superman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I love that movie Unbreakable with B. Willis.
But seriously it does make a lot of sense. Which would mean there is a Superman somewhere. Why doesnt he show himself?

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Ummm.....could you elaborate on what you mean? I've never seen that movie but your theory seems quite interesting.

-Droops

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The movies script is straight out of a comment book.

YOu have a main character, bruce willis who never ever get sicks, never gets hurt as a matter of fact nothing ever happens to him that would question his physical strength.. he even notices it and begins to test it

then you have "mr. glass" sam jacksons character whos bones break extremely easy.. jackon thinks hes on the opposite spectrum of willis

anyways jackson believes that comic book characters are stories of men that once lived and are almost mimicing pre-historic events

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Aw man its a cool movie
I think it suggest that if there is a highly "breakable" man, there must be the opposite, the "unbreakable", a superhero.

plot spoiler

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'll add my .2 cents here, I see the reality of it as being that a human could be born weak so weak he would be exactly like Mr. Glass but I do not think we could have someone go beyond to the ability Willis had in the movie but who knows? It was a good movie! I also think with human genetic engineering we could create super people and there may very well be ultra rare genetic conditions never scientifically discovered yet that could have spawned some very powerful people?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the thrust of this post is.. are you trying to say that some kind of a flying, invulnerable, super strong man exists in reality?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I remember lots of stories of people getting super strength at stressful times.
I do believe the body is capable of so much more. We are still cave people probably, in a way.

She said: “The car was on top of Jean-Luc and I somehow managed to push it off him.“I don’t know how I found the strength. I think nature just takes over.

link

super powers?

strong man

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick Nightstalker
I'm not sure what the thrust of this post is.. are you trying to say that some kind of a flying, invulnerable, super strong man exists in reality?

Maybe, its possible because nobody fully understands the body or brains full capabilities. Seeing the movie made me start to wonder. And it seems to be possible.

Maybe the flying is a little far fetched though I admit. But hey, anythings possible.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I love Spiderman, except for the fact that spiders in reality extrude their webs from their anal glands. If the movie had been a bit more scientifically accurate that way, it would have been a far more amusing movie.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
I love Spiderman, except for the fact that spiders in reality extrude their webs from their anal glands. If the movie had been a bit more scientifically accurate that way, it would have been a far more amusing movie.

but seriously

we can all be superheros.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
feats of human 'super strength' are generally called Hysterical Strength, and are generally one-shot, uncontrollable bouts of extreme strength. it's very difficult to induce this kind of strength intentionally, except for using drugs. the problem with it, is the human body isn't designed to be that strong, and this kind of strength can actually result in self-injury, torn muscles, ligaments, etc.

I have actually experienced this kind of strength before, at least once, possibly twice. the first time was at my last job, when I caught roughly 1500 pounds of windows that were about to fall sideways off a truck and onto another individual. I was helping load them onto the truck off of a dock, onto the back of a flat-bed truck. the windows (wood composite frame windows, shipped complete with glass in them, meaning they were extremely heavy) were sitting straight up, with no support to lean against, secured by shipping straps criss-crossed overtop of them. this is an extremely STUPID way to move windows, by the way, but the customer insisted (and the windows were technically his, so we couldn't hold them since he'd already paid).

anyway, his wife was there, and when the guy who the windows belonged to gave them a good shake to make sure they were secure, they all started to fall to one side, towards the guy's wife. i happened to be standing on the same side, on the shipping dock, and I grabbed the window that was at the edge of the truck (the first one falling) with one hand, and braced myself on the edge of the dock with the other. by all rights, I shouldn't have been able to hold them (the shipping straps had released and weren't holding them up, at this point), and that woman should have been crushed to death under a shower of broken glass, but I managed to hold the windows long enough for two other guys to run over and help me.

the second time is more questionable, and involves pushing a car up a sheer icy hill in winter.

both of these times, I was incredibly sore afterwards, for days, and had several pulled muscles, even though I'm a fairly strong and muscular guy to begin with. Humans aren't designed to be that strong ALL the time.

in any event, I don't think there are any literal supermen out there, but there are people who are exceptional in little ways everywhere. none of them are as extraordinary as comic book heroes, however.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Where is Superman? Superman engaged in battle with a seemingly unstoppable killing machine named Doomsday in the streets of Metropolis. At the fight's conclusion, both combatants were killed. Superman is dead.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

top topics

join